Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get me off the nuts!

Shop Now
    How much of them are you eating?

If you feel you're eating too many nuts, replace them with a piece of fruit. Half the calories of nuts and good for you.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Possibly a Magnesium deficiency. Many folk are deficient. Grains, nuts and seafood are the main food sources.

Try 400-600 mg Mag Glycinate before bed.

I have, eaten in the past, eaten an entire large sized jar of 365 brand all natural peanut butter in one sitting. With a spoon. An entire jar. Just think about that for a second. That's 6,400 calories: 256 g protein, 512 g fat, 192 g carbohydrate, and 64 g fiber.

I don't buy it anymore. I'm positively an addict.
    I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

On the other hand, if you're transitioning into Primal/Paleo, you may need to snack in the first few weeks as you get through the carb flu. I did, and nuts/trail mix were the ticket. I didn't snack on fruit alone isince it can set up that whole carb/blood sugar rollercoaster. Once I transitioned to the "fat burning beast" (love that image) I didn't feel the urge to snack anymore. Unless I had worked out a lot. Make sure you aren't feeling deprived as you make the transition, and keep the eye on the prize. For me it was about 3 weeks.

Lightweight/zero-water foods definitely deserve a special zone of caution--I never go near them when hungry. I keep a sack of home-toasted mixed nuts in the back of a refrigerator drawer (out of sight) and sometimes after dinner I'll open it up, pick out about 2 of each type, then put it away before eating any.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

This is definitely a concern for me. I make no-oatmeal oatmeal at least once per week. I also eat at least a handful of macadamias or almonds every day. I'm still losing fat, but I feel my results would be even better without going nuts on nuts.

Or you can introduce a meal that is all just nuts. I had breakfasts of macadamia and coffee or dinners of mixed nuts or nut butter and tea. Primal doesn't have much fun foods, and sometimes, it is good to stop the 'I am committing a nutritional crime!" guilt stuff that always haunts you when you touch fruit, nuts and dairy. Pleasure foods. So make them into actual food, and treat them as such once in a while.

Snack on those beloved green crunches instead, like cabbage. You can have half a head of it before you hit 200 calories you will get from a good handful of nuts.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    A good way to moderate the nut intake is to buy them in the shell and get a nutcracker. That way you have to work for each one and it slows you down.

Shop Now
    Probably should try eating more meat, fruit, and vegetables during meals.