Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I have come to terms that I have an eating disorder page

ballenparks is offline Junior Member

So I have come to terms that I have an eating disorder

If you look at my previous posts you will see that I eat paleo 5-6 days a week and then cave and have an epic binging session. I binge not only because of my immense cravings for sugary sweets but also that I never feel full when eating, unless I feel like I'm goin to throw up from the food that is filling my entire stomach cavity. I went to get blood work done and everything was normal(thyroid,glucose,etc.) because I have extreme fatigue, brain fog, and the binging. So the last two options I believe are on the table are either sleep apnea causing elevated cortisol levels or a psychological disorder that I just have to cope with. I was a normal outgoing guy before this problem began and now food consumes every waking moment of my day. Like I just got home from a concert and was thinking about eating the entire time because I felt like I was starving. And my diet and calories are great and I take extra vits and mins as well so its not diet that is my problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any other suggestions for diagnosis before I take myself to the shrink.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Really hesitant to offer a diagnosis, but have you tried literally not having the OPTION of the binge?
    A lot of issues I've had with binges is the binges themselves... Once I go for a while without binging, it's all back to normal. It's just so difficult to break the cycle.
    I'm not really sure what you eat throughout the week...?
    Are you getting enough sleep? Stressed? Any anxiety?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Time to let go and give yourself permission to eat whatever you please. You binge because your body is trying to get something you're denying it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ballenparks View Post
    If you look at my previous posts you will see that I eat paleo 5-6 days a week and then cave and have an epic binging session. I binge not only because of my immense cravings for sugary sweets but also that I never feel full when eating, unless I feel like I'm goin to throw up from the food that is filling my entire stomach cavity. I went to get blood work done and everything was normal(thyroid,glucose,etc.) because I have extreme fatigue, brain fog, and the binging. So the last two options I believe are on the table are either sleep apnea causing elevated cortisol levels or a psychological disorder that I just have to cope with. I was a normal outgoing guy before this problem began and now food consumes every waking moment of my day. Like I just got home from a concert and was thinking about eating the entire time because I felt like I was starving. And my diet and calories are great and I take extra vits and mins as well so its not diet that is my problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any other suggestions for diagnosis before I take myself to the shrink.
    Your diet isn't "great" for you if you are binging. I think you've got some sort of macro imbalance going on. Track what you are eating on a couple of "good days" to see what's going on. If you are already tracking, post those numbers, including your weight and protein grams.

Just because a diet looks good on paper doesn't mean it will work for you.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    I had a binge eating condition before I went primal. What did I do....? nothing, now I binge on primal foods occasionally. It really doesn't have much of an effect now, infact i believe an occasional (once a week/fortnight) binge has a positive effect on health and body comp.

Firstly I believe our bodies "expect" (from an evolutionary perspective) that we binge occasionally, as grok and his family would've done after every large game takedown.

Also I believe having your metabolism dealing with the same amount of food in the same macro ratio's everyday doesn't lead to a very robust metabolism. A few binges as well as a few fasts mixed in with eating when hungry (take note here, might alleviate your "feel like i'm starving" problem) and some different macro ratios go a long way to "toughening up" your metabolism.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 05-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I used to binge dreadfully before I went primal too....but I discovered that once I was consistently feeding my body the nutrients it needed (whilst still allowing the odd primal treat to stop myself from feeling deprived), the binges became less frequent and less severe until they disappeared altogether. The worst binge I have these days is 4 squares of 90% chocolate instead of 2.

Stick with it, don't give yourself a hard time and perhaps think about damage limitation - so if you're going to binge, make sure it's decent stuff and not junk.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try on your binge day having a couple of huge Ribeye or NY steaks or something. Like a couple pounds. Have steak and potatoes, maybe some eggs, too for your meal and then save the binge-worthy stuff for dessert. If you still want it. See what happens. If you can afford it, try binging on big piles o' meat every day for a week and see if you still want those weekend bingefests.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

diene is offline Senior Member
    When I was restricting calories and carbs pretty severely on weekdays, I had a tendency to binge on the weekends (which were also my carb refeed days). When I stopped counting and restricting, I also stopped binging. Is it possible that you're binging because you're not eating enough the rest of the time?

Meadow_001 is offline Junior Member
    I did a lot of binging pre-primal.

When I transitioned to primal, I decided to go full out and did no cheat days at all. I had that empty pit feeling that leads to binging at first but I limited myself to eating nothing but hard-boiled eggs when I felt that way. Its really hard to eat a ton of hard-boiled eggs without getting sick (unless you're Paul Newman) and it usually made the hollow feeling go away. I tried that with steak but I'm kind of an endless pit with steak and it actually made me more hungry.

The urges went away entirely once I started to make bone broth and consumed it regularly.

So, I guess I'm with the above posters and I think its probably some sort of nutrient deficiency.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Choking down a couple of large chicken breasts should kill a binge, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast