Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is heavy cream 'better' than half and half? page

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

why is heavy cream 'better' than half and half?

Primal Fuel
    Why is this? based on nutrition I checked, full has more carbs? not much, but still more.

Tara is offline Senior Member
    I think that it's because Heavy Whipping Cream is lower in carbs than Half and Half?

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Also, half-and-half is probably made with homogenized milk, which alters the fat in a bad way. We've drunk only unhomogenized milk for a while, but this isn't generally a problem with whole cream.

Half-and-half is milk mixed with cream -- milk has more carbs than cream because the cream is a higher percentage fat (like an order of magnitude more fat). So if 4% of your milk is fat and 40% of your cream is fat, your cream has less room left over for things like protein and sugars in a given volume. Since half-and-half is cream cut with milk, it's also got more sugars.

Tara is offline Senior Member
    Plus, I think heavy whipping cream just tastes better sometimes I will drink it straight, I love the looks of disgust I get from my over weight housemates

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Also, some of the stuff they label as "half and half" in the stores has WAY too many ingredients... with heavy cream you know where you stand!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Although you still have to look. I went to the store the other day and got NO cream because not one of them was just Cream! All of them had "less than 2% of.... carageenen and a couple of other things" . I put it back.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

beckinwolf is offline Member
    The worst thing I've seen lately is FAT-FREE half n' half!!! I mean doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose! You're right though about it being hard to find just plain cream without additives and thickeners.
    Carpe Diem!

KXS
    KXS is offline Member
    OK makes sense now. Thanks!

PMAC is offline Member
    Cream does have less carbs than half and half (not enough to worry about unless you are VLC). I am so lucky i get grass fed raw milk and raw cream every other week from a local farmer. Raw milk runs $5 a gallon and the cream is $10 for half gallon - so worth it. The cream is like liquid ice cream. I love it over a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries couple of time a week.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I had local strawberries with whipped local cream for breakfast this morning. Delicious. I also will drink cream straight from the bottle -- local, pastured cream just tastes so sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast