Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Food in the Cold North - ayumi's journal page

ayumi is offline Member

Good Food in the Cold North - ayumi's journal

Primal Fuel
    I'm a mom of 3 in Minnesota. This past winter was really tough, especially with my asthma and anxiety. It got so bad that I couldn't go outside for weeks. Finally one late sleepless night I decided I had enough, and started looking online for a solution. Someone mentioned the Primal Blueprint (I had borrowed the book before briefly but hadn't hit bottom then) and after a little more reading I started the next day.

Within 3 days I was feeling well enough to go outdoors and go places I hadn't gone to in months! This week is our second week Primal, and it's been awesome so far. I want to keep it up!

My husband is of hardy Scandinavian stock with some Southern mixed in and loves his sweets. Our boys take after him so it's challenging for us to try a new food plan! I'm already allergic to a long list of foods (dairy, fermented foods) so getting rid of grains and refined sugar was pretty easy.

Hope this journal will help us stay on a good path. I would love feedback from other parents who have gone Primal with their kids. It's tough to work around pickiness!

ayumi is offline Member
    Today's meals:

Breakfast:
    Fried Egg with 1/2 Avocado
    Banana Pancakes (very simple and delicious!!)

Lunch:
    handful of almonds
    Baby carrots
    Failed Beef Jerky
    2 squares 70% dark Lindt chocolate (has sugar in it but I've been craving dark chocolate for some reason. Must be the fat content)

Supper:
    Baby Spinach salad with hard boiled eggs, bacon fat mustard dressing
    2 strips bacon

Today's Experiment: Beef Jerky --

I went to the local food store and asked which cut was best for jerky. The butcher said rump roast, and actually sliced it thin for me!

The marinade part didn't go so great. I made the mistake of using too much lemon and lime juice. :/ Other experiments with Cranapple juice as sweetener didn't go too well either. The jerky's ok but will take a while to use up. Don't want to waste the $20 rump roast!

Anyone know of a good recipe for jerky without vinegar?

ayumi is offline Member
    Eh, I feel terrible today. My heart was pounding last night so I couldn't sleep until 5am.

After doing some research I ate some white rice with chicken broth and ginger. Hope it works.

It's probably a matter of not getting enough calories or good carbs because I'm already thin at around 115-120 lbs. Moving around and drinking water also seems to help. (I already eat bananas so potassium doesn't seem to be an issue)

Hope this goes away soon, it makes me feel anxious and that's one of the reasons I started in the first place. :/

ayumi is offline Member
    Seems a bowl of ginger sushi rice with a dose of Bromelain did the trick. My stomach feels a bit tender, maybe it's not used to digesting so much healthy food at once. I would fast but hunger sets off the pounding heartbeat as well. Will take it easy and chew slowly.

Breakfast:
    Our favorite Banana Almond Butter Choc shake. My husband is crazy about this!
    Ginger Sushi Rice

Lunch:
    Chicken with Broccoli Slaw

Supper:
    Hard boiled egg
    1/2 avocado (Wow, egg & avocado is delicious together! So creamy)
    Baby carrots with guacamole hummus

Now for some rest...

ayumi is offline Member
    I've been testing and trying out different apps to make Primal meal planning easier. So far Fast Paleo and Evernote works great!

One recipe I tried today from Fast Paleo came out fantastic -- Geschnetzeltes.

http://fastpaleo.com/geschnetzeltes-...l-cream-sauce/

I replaced the cream with coconut milk (first half of the can) and the vinegar with lime. I loved it but the kids didn't like it. My husband said it was good, but not lick the plate good. I'll save it for an occasional meal.

Yesterday we ate at Outback Steakhouse and I ordered the grilled chicken Australian Cobb Salad without dressing. It was interesting because I could taste the flavors of iceberg lettuce. The side of asparagus was sad - barely cooked middles and overcooked on the sides. My husband said it's better to order the thing that a restaurant is best known for (e.g. Outback steak) and enjoy it rather than try to pick at ancillary meals.

I'm so glad we started Primal -- today I went out and longboarded with the kids for an hour. I could not do that two weeks ago, stuck inside with asthma. It's amazing how much things have changed in a short time. Hope to keep it up!

Brenda_D is offline Member
    Hi Ayumi! Really glad to hear things are improving quickly for you. I haven't been eating primal very long, 3 or 4 weeks, but it's impossible not to notice the health benefits. After years of not running due to achy knees and stiff ankles, I have no trouble going into a full-on sprint now. Of course that's just one of many improvements, and not even close to the most important.

If I'm just eating lettuce for my salad, I like it without dressing... and it is amazing how much flavor lettuce actually has. I find my favorite is Romaine since it's a little bit sweet. Sorry to hear of the poorly pre-pared asparagus... what a disappointment.

I live in Oregon, but lived in Southeast ND for more than 30 years. I always perk up a bit when I see people from the Upper Midwest. So a friendly "Hello" to you! I am happy you survived what seemed to be an insane Winter/Spring this year!

Skarlett98 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Ayumi! We have already met in passing. 1 week on PB for me and I am already noticing some changes myself.
    I'm from Australia so how you described the asparagus is how we have it cooked when we grill it. My family love fresh asparagus. I would love to see the recipe for your banana pancakes, if youre happy to share. My hubby and kids also tried making jerky on the weekend and it turned out splendidly I can check with my hubby what he put in the marinade if you like? I will post it in my journal later tonight if youre interested.

ayumi is offline Member
    Thank you for the friendly hello, Brenda! The crazy weather here's not over yet -- it was cold outside yesterday! My knees (and oddly, my mouse-clicking index finger - overuse perhaps) have been creaky thanks to the cold snap. Hope some of your benefits rub off here

I never really paid attention to the flavors of various salad greens until now -- we have some Romaine in the fridge. Will see how it tastes our next meal.

What are your favorite toppings for salad? So far I love hard boiled eggs and a dollop of guacamole for a hearty meal but am open to new things.

ayumi is offline Member
    Good to "see" you here, Skarlett! I apologize if my comment re: the asparagus was insulting - the menu just said asparagus without any explanation so I wasn't prepared for the different style of cooking. I love asparagus too, we usually bake it to well done with some olive oil and salt. My oldest son actually likes it, we're working on the younger ones.

The banana pancake recipe is pretty simple, it's from one of Mark's free ebooks with a few of our notes added.

2 bananas
    1-2 spoonfuls almond butter
    1 egg
    1 shake of cinnamon

Frozen or fresh fruit for topping

Put everything except the fruit into a bowl. Use a potato masher or fork and mash it all up into batter.

Butter up a griddle on medium-low heat. Cook until browned. It takes a little longer to cook so be patient with it. You might want to use a large pan/skillet/griddle to do them all at once.

Makes 3-4 medium pancakes.

Fresh fruit makes the flavor pop out of the pancakes -- we like to use frozen fruit for the contrast.

If you can, please do let me know what jerky marinade your husband used. I wouldn't mind trying another batch again. Thank you!

ayumi is offline Member
    Brenda, Romaine is indeed sweet. Iceberg has surface flavor but dissipates quickly, while Romaine seems to hold up through. We may become leafy greens connoisseurs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast