Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Food in the Cold North - ayumi's journal page 3

ayumi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    What a tough week! I ran out of 5-HTP (serotonin precursor) and my mood took a dive with the rainy, dark weather. My body started gaining weight and craving sweets. I don't have a scale but can tell by how my belly feels/looks. (TMI alert: Having twins left me with loose skin there, so it's a pretty good 'meter.')

Time to 1) stick to my supplements and 2) ditch the calorie counter! I was eating too few calories over the long run and not listening to my body when it sent hunger signals. The counter helped me learn what nutrients/foods were needed but it's time to take the training wheels off and ride on my own.

Breakfast: Luscious Banana Shake (0/3)
    Lunch: Bok Choy Stirfry (0/3)
    Dinner: Applegate Stadium Hot Dogs with Spinach salad (3/3 but kids ate them with buns)
    Snack: Coconut Biscuits, Baby Carrots and Guacamole (discovered that with the right seasoning avocado is delicious on its own!)

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Ayumi, I LOVE your journal and so happy for you to be enjoying the health benefits of primal as well as the getting into the cooking side. Thanks for posting all your recipe experiments, there are so many great ideas there.

I have been following primal almost a year and only just starting to branch out more now. Today I made fake cornbread muffins, my daughter ate three so maybe your children would like them.

That chocolate cakes has NINE eggs!! Was it really like cake? My muffins had two eggs in just six muffins so they were definitely primal but also seemed more like quiche than cake if you know what I mean.

ayumi is offline Member
    Annieh I'm glad you enjoy reading so far Do you have the recipe for the cornbread muffins? My kids might like them. I tried other recipes but they were too eggy and the kids didn't like them.

The cake wasn't too sweet at first taste but I figured out that strawberry filling adds pop to the chocolate. The texture is like a sponge cake and freezes very well. We used the hot fudge as "frosting" - yum!

ayumi is offline Member
    Yesterday I learned that it's possible to overdose on paleo baked goods, even if it's in the interests of bringing kids on board. Woke up with a puffy face this morning... :P Back to delicious meat and veggies!

Yesterday's meals/snacks: Coconut whiskers, tapioca flour pizza, parsnip hummus, GF bread with paleo rhubarb strawberry jam and some other stuff I can't remember now.
    Last edited by ayumi; 06-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayumi View Post
    Annieh I'm glad you enjoy reading so far Do you have the recipe for the cornbread muffins? My kids might like them. I tried other recipes but they were too eggy and the kids didn't like them.

The cake wasn't too sweet at first taste but I figured out that strawberry filling adds pop to the chocolate. The texture is like a sponge cake and freezes very well. We used the hot fudge as "frosting" - yum!
    Paleo Cornbread Muffins (Cornless Cornbread!) - Empowered Sustenance

Ayumi, here's the link to the recipe. I added some cinnamon and substituted lemon juice for the vinegar and they were ok, but be warned my family found them too eggy also.

ayumi is offline Member
    Thank you for the recipe! I like the applesauce used as sweetener. The picture doesn't look too eggy. We may try it sometime soon!

ayumi is offline Member
    Things have been really busy so I'm finding less and less time to do the journal!

My sons decided to go without wheat or gluten for three days, starting today. I told them to try one week but one week is apparently forever for their age. So far they're holding up pretty well! It's forced my husband and I to think what snacks will tide them over to meals. So far we're relying on dried fruits, jerky, and making sure they get plenty of food in their meals.

I also promised them GF brownies if they make it through three days. Hope they keep their eyes on the prize!

ayumi is offline Member
    The boys made it to 3 days! The brownies were delicious but definitely a paleo "cheat" -- first ingredient was cane sugar. :P

Here's a picture of the buffalo femur we had for a snack today. Everyone was a little suspicious of it, so I ate up what they didn't want and put the bones in the crock pot for buffalo stock.

photo (18).jpg

ayumi is offline Member
    The buffalo femur made fantastic broth! All nice and gelatin-y after a night in the slow-cooker.

Yesterday I thought something was wrong when the larger femur bone and half of the medium bone didn't go gloopy in the middle. Later I realized that the bone near the tip of the femur had more "infrastructure" to support weight. Next time we'll get more marrow bones from the midsection. This was a fun culinary adventure!

Since our boys finished the 3-day paleo experiment, they said they weren't sure of they wanted to continue. I asked one of them why, and he said it was because he wanted to eat bread and cereal. I told him that there's lots of different gluten-free breads and cereals. He seems ok with it so far, but we have to be on top of our game in feeding them.

It's challenging because they ask for the baked goods that they liked before, and it tends to be sugary. I have a hard time turning down what I cook for them -- it's usually no problem because I know it'll make me sick, but chocolate GFCF brownies is very difficult to say no to. I had two or three yesterday and I'm not supposed to eat chocolate. (It makes me break out and those boxed mixes tend to have lots of sugar.)

It's hard to keep exercising self-will all of the time, especially when under stress. That's why I would rather they continue with GF foods even though they might be expensive -- in a weaker moment it's still ok for me to eat and cuts down on cross-contamination. We will see how long we can hold off on wheat.

We are also still figuring out how to plan a menu. I figured out that having a plan makes it easier for my husband to cook meals while I'm working. Tomorrow or Sunday we'll probably sit down and figure out a week's menu...

Today's meals:

Breakfast: Mixed fruit smoothie with homemade coconut milk and avocado
    Post-exercise snack: 1 fried egg
    Lunch: Personal pizza with tapioca crust -- red peppers, onions, and pepperoni topping.
    Dinner: Big Salad with rotisserie chicken and Bubbies pickles
    Dessert: 2 GFCF blueberry muffins

ayumi is offline Member
    The boys wanted to eat regular bread and cereal so we bought some about 2 days ago. Yesterday I noticed their behavior had changed for the worse and that some physical symptoms were returning. We're going to slowly phase out the wheat again, hopefully they won't feel too deprived this time around.

I also had a tiny bit of wheat bread yesterday and the effects were immediate! My head hurt for a few minutes. I'm not sure if I was imagining things but I'm not up for trying it again.

We went shopping at Trader Joe's Sat, picking up a few things. My husband remarked that he noticed that the bananas and other things were of a lower quality. TJ's has good prices but how they reach those prices in terms of food quality isn't good.

I've been throwing out some freshly bought TJ stuff already because it tastes cheap. It was a bit surprising to realize that. I guess after going to a good co-op for a while now we are spoiled.

Today I actually got sunburnt on my shoulders! We were outside at the park playing and then laid out in the sun a little. I guess my shoulders bore the brunt of it -- oops! Been putting coconut oil on the burns for relief. Hopefully it won't get too damaged there :/

Breakfast: Luscious Banana Shake
    Lunch: Deli Lettuce Wrap with homemade mayo*
    Dinner: Ground Chicken Curry

Snacks: Grapes, Cashew Trail Mix, Pickle, and Carrots/Celery with Guacamole Hummus

*Homemade paleo mayo is fun and easy to make! Just toss 1 egg with 1 tsp mustard in a blender, turn on low, then dribble in 1 cup extra light tasting olive oil as it blends. Add salt to taste. Pour it in a jar, close tight, and refrigerate. Keeps for a week or so. I like the sardine version as well!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast