Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Food in the Cold North - ayumi's journal page 2

ayumi is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Today I learned how to break dressing. :P

Apparently if you blend it too long, the oils and solids separate. I'm disappointed as that's a cup of expensive EVOO in the garbage. Will try again soon -- we could save a bunch of money if we can get Mark's Mayo recipe working for us...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...iment-recipes/

I wish there was a way to know which recipes could work better than others. It's expensive to mess up sometimes.

It's still chilly outside but we finally got some sun in the afternoon. The kids and I went out longboarding and scootering (if that's a word ). A part of my mind is a little afraid of too much sun, but I seriously need the Vitamin D (tested low recently) and other health benefits. Anyone have thoughts on the sunlight/skin cancer debate?

ayumi is offline Member
    Today was a pretty good day, considering that I haven't been getting much sleep due to digestive issues. :/ Cooking 2x every day seems almost normal now -- which is great and good for us

Today my husband had his first taste of sardines with dinner salad. It's almost like tuna but packed with nutrients. I mixed it up with a more successful batch of homemade mayo (Note: lemon juice balances the acidity of olive oil). Hope to finally create a version that the kids like. It's pretty easy to make once you get the basics down.

So tired, more tomorrow ...

Breakfast: Almonds, carrots
    Lunch: Applegate Beef hotdogs with spinach salad (no dressing, the hotdogs were yummy enough)
    Dinner: Sardine spinach salad (with cucumber and red pepper)

ayumi is offline Member
    I tried making Banana Avocado Chocolate pudding today and it was a big mess. Next time a recipe asks for 6 avocados we'll halve it! It tasted pretty yummy though -- my husband thought it wasn't sweet enough. Will post link soon.

This morning a stressful situation popped up at work (I work at home) and instead of my usual tactic of distracting with a short game I went for a walk to the food store. It was nice to redirect my stress to exercise instead of holding it all inside. While at the food store I noticed some chuck steak at a discount sell-quick price -- maybe I should do that more often in the mornings and get sell-quick meat.

The steak was fantastic -- I sliced it thin and seared it, added in chopped onions and garlic, then enough stock to cover the meat. It cooked for 2.5 hours on the stove, with periodic refills of water as the sauce reduced. It was so good! The kids even liked it! They had it on bread, so I want to find a good naan or wrap recipe to help them transition away from wheat. We may just go for gluten-free bread at a local bakery.

Being out in the sun more feels great. I tend to rub ev coconut oil on the exposed areas after coming back inside. My skin is very fair but it's turning a light tan, much better than the sickly pallor before Primal.

Breakfast: Banana pancakes with frozen fruit (1 out of 3 kids liked it)
    Lunch: Banana Avocado pudding -- it was very filling - (0/3 kids liked it even though recipe was supposed to be kid friendly. One quit eating after he found out avocado was in it. :P YMMV)
    Dinner: Chuck Steak with salad and asparagus (3/3 liked the steak but not veggies. 1 liked asparagus a little)
    Evening snack: Carrot Raisin salad (0/3 but husband and I loved it!)
    Last edited by ayumi; 05-20-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added links

ayumi is offline Member
    My stomach has rebelled, big time. For a while I've had digestive issues but managed to get by pre-Primal through eating a lot of hummus with powdered ginger. Now that we've been eating Primal my stomach has had a rough time keeping up with the good food.

Since then I've switched gears and bought HCL and deglycyrrhizinated licorice to help with meals. It's working pretty good so far. We also bought Bubbies kosher dill pickles and Cocoyo kefir to work as probiotics for my gut. There's a lot of damage that needs to be repaired!

Recipes tried recently:

Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake - delicious but seriously dark chocolate. Go with the Strawberry Cream filling to brighten the chocolate flavor. (1/3)
    Last edited by ayumi; 05-20-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added links

ayumi is offline Member
    Something very surprising happened today. The kids ate curry, and liked it!

I followed the Easy Coconut Milk Curry Chicken recipe at Oh Snap Let's Eat except that I used a prepared Aroy red curry paste. It turned out to be much more spicier than expected, but sushi rice helped cool it down. It's surprising how much the kids enjoyed it. We also told them the story of curry being from India and gave them a bit of trivia information about it. Maybe they appreciated it more because of that?

My theory is, kids will absorb the smells and flavor of a particular way you cook, eventually trying and liking the food. Hopefully this theory will pan out -- it's kinder than forcing them to eat and making meals a bad experience.

Breakfast: Summer Sausage, Carrots with Guacamole Hummus (working on weaning off of hummus )
    Lunch: Coconut Curry with Rice
    Dinner: Luscious Banana Smoothie (see recipe below)

Luscious Banana Smoothie

2 frozen bananas, cut up in chunks
    1/4 cup almond butter
    Almond milk
    Kefir or yogurt to taste (optional)

Put bananas, almond butter, and kefir in blender. Add almond milk to the top of the bananas. Blend until all blended in.

(This is our favorite -- my husband would eat this every day if he could.)

ayumi is offline Member
    Seems like it's my turn to suffer the virus that's been making its rounds here. :/ I had a 5 hour nap today and still feel pretty icky. My appetite has been waxing and waning all day -- yet I don't feel as bad as other family members still eating grains and sugar. Interesting.

It also seems we don't have enough meat on hand for all of our needs. Per-primal we would have one type of meat a day and make do for other meals. Now we're really feeling the missing calories from pasta and bread. Maybe we should add one more "lightweight" protein for lunches (deli meat, jerky?) and depend more on veggies and "good" carbs to stretch things out.

I wish healthy food was as easily accessible and affordable as SAD food. We'll find a way to make this happen somehow. I don't want to return to how I felt 3 weeks ago :/

Breakfast: Navel orange
    Lunch: Leftover chicken curry with rice
    Dinner: Piece of ahi tuna steak with romaine salad and homemade mayo
    Snacks: Cucumber with guacamole hummus

ayumi is offline Member
    My immune system seems to be improving -- I feel pretty good after only one day of sleeping a lot. Other family members still on SAD fared much worse. Hope to get them fully on board in time.

Someone (Mark? It's late :P) recently wrote that its very important to bring kids on board to eating well because they need the foundation. That's our struggle -- not having enough food for everyone without resorting to cheap calories from grains. Meat is so expensive and the kids hate veggies.

Maybe I should try baking the tapioca pizza crust and cutting it up as a "loaf" to keep on hand? It's tough because a lot of Paleo kids' recipes online tends to have "cheat" foods like sugar or other things mixed in. It's not a bad thing but surely there are other flavorful ways to satisfy their palate?

One great thing that's been happening is that I enjoy cooking much more now. Eating good food makes me feel good, and more motivated to cook!

Breakfast:Sir-fry steak and eggs (very filling!) (1/3)
    Lunch: Green Food Protein "shake" (one of the trial packets we harvested from the store. I would still rather eat my calories not drink them.)
    Dinner: Big Salad (turkey hamburger, red bell pepper, spinach, avocado, pickles) Luscious Banana Shake (Didn't get enough calories during the day so was ravenous.)(2/3 for hamburger. We used Lipton Onion packets for flavoring)
    Snacks: Almonds and carrots

ayumi is offline Member
    This morning I got hit with a headache. I thought maybe I was hungry so made some coconut whiskers (recipe link coming soon). It was pretty good - 2 out of 3 kids liked it. I used about 1/4 c coconut sugar instead of the 1/2 cup the recipe asked for. The headache became a migraine so I gave up and took meds. The rest of the day didn't go too well, was moody and grumpy.

We went out to eat and I had a hard time finding something I liked. Almost everything at the restaurant we went to was overpriced and had at least one thing I wasn't supposed to eat. Finally I ordered seaweed salad, which had rice vinegar but by that point I didn't care anymore.

By evening chocolate and sweets cravings set in so I had some leftover cake and frozen bananas. Someone said that watermelons are nature's candy. I think bananas are too, especially frozen.

It's probably carb flu. I need to plan ahead a little better. Tomorrow I just want to cocoon and cook good food.

Breakfast: Coconut Whiskers and Fried Egg
    Lunch: Failed Texas Ribs (learning experience!) and Big Salad
    Dinner: Seaweed Salad, Frozen Coconut Choc Cake and Bananas
    Snacks: Almonds, Carrots, Cucumber with Guacamole Hummus
    Last edited by ayumi; 05-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.

ayumi is offline Member
    Today was a dreary, cloudy day, with a matching mood for me. I didn't feel like eating much. All I want to do is go outside in the sunshine.

Breakfast: Failed banana almond meal pancakes (skillet temperature was too low, and I broke the recipe )
    Lunch: Dried pineapple and 3 bites of dark baking chocolate
    Dinner: Coconut chicken fingers (3/3, finally! Feels good to have a recipe succeed.) plus spinach broccoli slaw salad with homemade dressing.
    Last edited by ayumi; 05-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.

ayumi is offline Member
    We've hit 4 weeks of Primal! It's been a great ride so far and I'm thrilled that we've been able to go outside so much more. I only had to use my inhaler twice for asthma this month.

This month's positives: More energy, better health. It's like the saying goes -- cooking well and feeling good is a positive feedback loop.

Challenges: Getting kids on board, not breaking recipes, $ investment in new food and kitchen equipment.

Goals for next month:

- Stay on budget for food
    - Find 5 recipes the kids like
    - More filling, complete meals during the day so not hungry at night

Today's meals:

Breakfast: Luscious Banana Smoothie
    Lunch: Baby Carrots
    Dinner: 2 Slices of pizza with the FTC Crust and Cucumbers with Guacamole.

(I need to eat more during the day, since I get hungry at night. It's too easy to put off food when working.)

Onward to the next milestone!
    Last edited by ayumi; 05-30-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast