Thread: Introduction and query about cholesterol levels page

EvelynMary is offline Junior Member

Introduction and query about cholesterol levels

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys
    I am new to this forum so G'day. I happened upon marksdailyapple about 2 months ago after being off sugar for a few weeks. The results of following his guidelines have been excellent and I have dropped 5kg in that time without really trying. I also suffered from IB for most of my life and that also cleared up almost immediately.
    I have a question about my cholesterol levels which were done last week. Urgent call from the doctor to go and see her immediately. I read up all I could on going primal affecting your levels and was comforted by the post about you could have elevated levels from all the fat that is being burned in the initial stages of weightloss. However when I tried to explain this to the doctor she wasn't interested in the slightest and told me I must have inherited high cholesterol and would need medication to bring it down. Not happy! Anyway managed to persuade her that I wanted to try to manage this with diet and exercise and she wants me to have another test in six months time.
    My figures are
    Total cholesterol 7.8 mmol/L
    Trig 1.3 mmol/L
    HDL 1.6 mmol/L
    LDL 5.6 mml/L
    Chol/HDL ratio 4.9
    I notice that my Trig is down from 2.0 to 1.3 from the last test I had done and my HDL is up from 1.4 to 1.6 but my LDL has jumped a whopping 3.7 to 5.6.
    Has anyone any suggestions as to why this is so and what is the best way of bringing it down?
    My doc also said my age was against me (I am 59) and was more reason to get the levels low.
    My doctors final words to me were 'don't have a heart attack before I can see you again'. Very encouraging!

Thanks for reading
    Evelynmary

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

First up, read the first couple of posts in the cholesterol primer in my sig. You might need to find a website to convert to US values for the ratios, but other than that, the primer has the info you need.

First, some analysis of your results:
    Your trigs going down is great.
    You HDL going up is great.
    Your LDL going up is less great.
    Your Chol/HDL ratio is in the normal range.
    So is your LDL/HDL ratio.
    And your Trig/HDL ratio.

Conclusion: you have nothing to worry about. This is not a disturbing outlier that you need to pull back into line. If your test in 6 months time gives the same results, I'll still say there's no problem.

Your doctor is scaremongering you into taking a statin, but statins increase all cause mortality. Not sure that's really what you want to be doing. Assuming (from your username) that you're a woman, you should know that Total cholesterol is INVERSELY related with all cause mortality in women. i.e. The lower it is, the more likely you are to die.

Anyway, if you're still worried, some natural ways you can bring your LDL down are:

1. Decrease LDL coming into your system: Reduce consumption of animal/dairy fats (this will decrease your HDL too and won't likely make you any healthier, but the numbers will be lower. I personally don't do this. But it will lower your cholesterol.)

2. Increase LDL leaving your system: Take care of your thyroid, via supplements like Iodine, Selenium, Magnesium and Glucose (if you zero carb, ease off a little and eat some). Improved thyroid function upregulates LDL receptors, which means that relatively more LDL leaves circulation, particularly oxidised LDL (which is the actual 'bad' cholesterol).
    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

EvelynMary is offline Junior Member
    Thank you SO much.

You have put my mind at rest. It always amazes me that GP's don't know about this stuff and that they get peed off when you try to discuss it. I suppose they are all overworked and just don't have the time to keep up. Shame.

Once again thanks for the reply.

EvelynMary

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvelynMary View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am new to this forum so G'day. I happened upon marksdailyapple about 2 months ago after being off sugar for a few weeks. The results of following his guidelines have been excellent and I have dropped 5kg in that time without really trying.
    Evelynmary
    Too soon to have cholesterol test - wait until weight loss stops and then a few months after that do the test - if weight is still dropping the cholesterol reading can be skewed high.

I also suffered from IB for most of my life and that also cleared up almost immediately.
    Evelynmary
    Good that its fixed. Interestingly your doctor didn't have a solution for this life long real disease, but has a 'cure' for the imaginary disease of 'high' cholesterol.

Urgent call from the doctor to go and see her immediately.
    Evelynmary
    "Urgent call" was not necessary - this is NOT a medical emergency.
    Though they should have called you to discuss what has changed in your life routines

However when I tried to explain this to the doctor she wasn't interested in the slightest and told me I must have inherited high cholesterol and would need medication to bring it down.
    Evelynmary
    Most likely your recent studies online about primal/paleo has put you in a position where you are more educated about nutrition than your doctor - doctors in general are useless in giving nutrition advice.
    You should NOT take a statin (IMO) - do your own research!
    Look at possible side effects - memory loss, depression, brain fog.
    We need cholesterol for good heath - not a drug

Anyway managed to persuade her that I wanted to try to manage this with diet and exercise and she wants me to have another test in six months time.
    Evelynmary
    Diet and exercise is the FIRST step - NOT medication (interesting the doc thinks drugs are first).
    Diet - if you're doing primal as specified then your diet is right
    Exercise - If you have read MDA the you know you should be walking EVERYDAY

Total cholesterol 7.8 mmol/L (Tc = 302) - should be lowered
    Trig 1.3 mmol/L (Trig = 115) - OK but could be lowered
    HDL 1.6 mmol/L (HDL = 62) - OK but could be higher
    LDL 5.6 mml/L (LDL = 255) - should be lowered
    Chol/HDL ratio 4.9 (TC/HDL ratio = 4.87) - not bad but could be lower
    (Trig/HDL ratio = 1.86 US or 0.81 Aussie) - good, the lower the better

Has anyone any suggestions as to why this is so and what is the best way of bringing it down?
    My doc also said my age was against me (I am 59) and was more reason to get the levels low.
    My doctors final words to me were 'don't have a heart attack before I can see you again'. Very encouraging!
    Thanks for reading
    Evelynmary
    Lower it by walking, loosing weight eating primal (read what MDA has on that) - eat plenty of non-starchy veg, some fat some meat - NO processed/BOXED food., no junk - just eat 'clean'.
    Don't do a test if you're loosing weight.

Level should not be low but closer to normal
    Doctors parting words are wrong - if she was so concerned she could have done more tests to confirm heart disease.
    Do your own research as your doctor is not bothering to do her job properly - IMO (or is just ignorant - not sure which is worse).
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 05-09-2013 at 04:45 AM.

ic005qx00 is offline Junior Member
    Great info here Guys. I'm in the same position and found this info encouraging.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ic005qx00 View Post
    Great info here Guys. I'm in the same position and found this info encouraging.
    Yeah don't let the doctor scare you too much, sadly (strangely?) a lot of them are actually ignorant about cholesterol.
    Cholesterol is required in our body's, we cant live without it, it's required to build and repair cells.
    Bad ratios are NOT : good eg high Total chol, low HDL and high trigs is not good.
    A few days studying the practical side of the subject and you'll literally know more about cholesterol and causes of heart disease than your doctor.

A lot of the information health/cholesterol fed to doctors is coming from the daily visits of the pharmaceutical reps - reps want to sell their companies products - not a lot of money for them if you eat right and exercise (eg change your routine to something you enjoy, are comfortable doing and can sustain naturally over your lifetime).

Healthy heart/mind/body = Don't eat sugar, dont eat processed food, avoid wheat products (bread/pasta etc), limit or avoid other grains (limit starchy foods).
    Manage stress, eat/enjoy REAL meat (with the real fat attached), REAL plenty veg, use some extra REAL fats - butter/coconut-oil/olive-oil, some fruit, some natural/unsalted nuts, some REAL cheese/yoghurt (if you wish), walk every day (say 30 min), lift heavy things 2 to three times a week.

Ignore media/TV ads telling what to eat (junk), and then what medication (poison) to take to get over your ills (and then what commercial diet program to use help you loose weight from taking said junk/poison).

Do your own research.