Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next big trend page

grandma is offline Member

Shop Now

Here is the next trend I expect to see in the nutrition world: http://su.pr/2goF2G

Sorry folks diet doesn't matter, it's all about your genetics. You're fat because genes won't let you be anyother way. The primal blueprint is all wrong, our genes have changed in the last 100 years to make us fat. OMG!

I expect this view to stick, it's all too convenient and great marketing message to sell drugs and procedures to fight your genetics.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Tell that to my genes after losing 120 lbs. I must have changed my genes. LOL!

But Diana, what else could it be? Did you read the article! Back in the 60's people were thiner despite eating McDonlads, drinking whole milk, and having pie. Just imagine for a moment all the saturated fat those people got -- the pie crust was made with lard, the french fries were cooked in tallow and it was WHOLE milk. What other conclusion could one come to? Our must genes have changed because we all know that fat is bad.

maba is offline Senior Member

Grandma, the gene mutation that you talk about must have occurred only in American population. LOL!

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html#State

It seems that the mutation kicked into high gear right around the time when mcDonalds switched from tallow to hydrogenated veggie oil (1989). I believe that it was this substance that had a mutagenic affect on the people of the US.

Trinkwasser Guest

The genes haven't changed, the gene *expression* has

The current diet is switching on everyone's emergency genes and leaving them switched on. PB etc. is switching them back off.

Nick Guest

And due to the way epigenetics works, if you switch on a bunch of genes that promote obesity, heart disease, and cancer, and then you conceive a child, your kid begins with a totally different set of epigenetics than if the parents had been grokking it up.

So, in a way, they're right. But those epigenetics are something easy to change if you change your lifestyle, and if you do it before you have kids, they won't be as bad off as you were. Just another good reason to be concerned about health way before you get into yours 50s -- make sure you get your gene expression set appropriately before you conceive a child.

Yeah, look at the obesity chart of America from 1960 - 1970, pretty stable, but slightly increasing.

Then BAM! 1980's - now, HUGE spike!

I may not believe in evolution, but if I did, I'd have to say this would be one ENORMOUSLY fast change in ONLY American's DNA! :-D

(if it wasn't clear, my tongue was firmly implanted in my cheek in this discussion)

I saw his article in a tweet from DrEades he also recently had another with road blocks to thinking http://litemind.com/thinking-traps/

I think the author of the original article suffered from a few of these traps.

Here is a counter point:

http://children.webmd.com/news/20090305/obesity-gene-trumped-by-healthy-diet

unfortunately that article draws the wrong conclusion - low fat is the way to go.

increasingly I find the anecdotal evidence of industrial oils being THE culprit to be compelling. And perhaps to but a more fine point on it Omega 6/3 ratio.

low-fat works for people who follow it (the paradox of the low-fat product world is that people buy the products them but don't really follow low-fat diet)

suppose that vegetable oil messes with your insulin balance (which some studies say it does) and imagine if you really did what CW recommends, cut out fat. No fried foods, no spreads on your toast, no chips, low-fat baked goods, lean meats, steamed veggies, portion control... What you have done is greatly reduced your exposure to veggie oils and N6 heavy industrial meat. So you are getting most of your energy from carbs, but your endocrine system is still functioning, so life is good. The result skinny-fat as your body cycle fat in an out of your system.

Now suppose you take CW advice half heartedly. You buy the low-fat salad dressing, but you enjoy those chips, the muffins look so good today, dairy is good so lets have that processed cheese (vegetable oil product) on your double cheese burger and portion control is for tomorrow..... Now your exposure to industrial oils is much higher. Your endocrine is confused, it doesn't know what to do, it doesn't know what this stuff is so it dumps insulin, all the carbs (which there are a lot of, because of the sugar heavy low-fat crap) get stored the craving hit...... result fat.

Arm chair science, I know, but it seems logical that if you take the evil veggie oil out of the picture the human omnivore can survive on many different macro nutrient contents.

Many of us are looking for more than just survival so finding the optimal is important, but to resume "normalcy" in the general population it would seem that veggie oil has to go.

anyone listening?

I hear ya grandma.

The switch to margarine in the 1980's (as well as the major influx of heavy-cardio - JAZZERSIZE/ AEROBICS anyone?) sure seems to mark a heavy downturn in America's health and an upturn in the size of our clothes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast