Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Cholesterol to a vegan

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2

    Cholesterol to a vegan

    I am personally following a primal diet, but I got in a bit of a heated debate with a vegan the other day. Both of us agreed that every cell in the body can make its own cholesterol, because cholesterol is so absolutely vital to the human body. But then she said that if every cell has the ability to make its own cholesterol, then why should we eat additional foods with cholesterol in them? She said that the body's ability to produce its own cholesterol is yet another reason for choosing veganism. She said that she is totally healthy because her body already produces all the cholesterol that it needs on its own, so there is absolutely no need at all for her to ingest more cholesterol. Her logic seems to make sense, since the body can produce its own cholesterol. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    You don't need to consume cholesterol. But the highest quality cholesterol is manufactured in your body from saturated fat. Her PUFA cholesterol quality just sucks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You don't need to consume cholesterol. But the highest quality cholesterol is manufactured in your body from saturated fat. Her PUFA cholesterol quality just sucks.
    +1

    Ask her what building blocks her body is using to build her cholestrol from. Vegans are fine in the short term because their body can cannibalise itself.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  4. #4
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But the highest quality cholesterol is manufactured in your body from saturated fat.
    That's not true. Cholesterol Synthesis

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    That's not true. Cholesterol Synthesis
    From your link:
    Extensive clinical trials have shown that the statin drugs decrease blood cholesterol and diminish risk of cardiovascular disease.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #6
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    From your link:
    So?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,208
    Although I'm not clever enough to understand how you think the link you posted rebuts what eKatherine said, I'm pretty sure that the bit endorsing statins is wrong. And your pugnacious stance makes me less likely to regard you as a credible poster in the future.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by martinau View Post
    Hi all,

    This is my opinion : All animal cells make cholesterol from saturated fats. That is why most people don't need extra cholesterol in their diet: their bodies make all that they need. Extra cholesterol from eating other animals just clogs things up.

    Now, how much cholesterol your cells make depends on a lot of factors. One, is genetics. Some people's cells make lots of cholesterol no matter what, while other people's bodies make very little. Another is the intake of saturated fats. Exercercise is another. So is sex, age, and waist circumference, and other factors mentioned.

    That's why your hubby has different cholesterol than you, and if he wants to lower it, the suggestion above could certainly help.
    Wow....where to start on that one.

    First sentence: Animal cells do not "make" cholesterol anymore than a human "makes" skin. Cholesterol is the major component of the cell membrane which allows for the existence of the cell. No skin = you die. No cholesterol = no cell.

    Second Sentence: Your "extra" cholesterol that you eat is in a very poorly absorbed form, as RichMahogany pointed out. It contributes about 5-10% of your overall levels.

    As for the second part....human breast milk is very high in cholesterol, and all of the fat you store is in saturated form. I highly doubt that your mother or your adipose cells are giving or harboring something which is damaging to your body. Evolution has a way of ending that kind of thing.

    The much more interesting question is the role of carbs and sugar intake on cholesterol levels. Hypercholesterol is indeed a part of the metabolic syndrome that is increasingly being implicated by our constant high-insulin state. (A great book on this subject is Dr. Robert Lustig's "Fat Chance", or lookup his Youtube video) The idea that your steak gives you metabolic syndrome has no evidence behind it....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    That's not true. Cholesterol Synthesis
    So what you are saying is what? I have a degree in chemistry but this reference is meaningless to me.

  10. #10
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So what you are saying is what? I have a degree in chemistry but this reference is meaningless to me.
    You do? I didn't see saturated fat in that explanation of cholesterol synthesis at all. Maybe you can enlighten me, what with your degree in chemistry and all.

    To answer your question more specifically, what I was saying was the statement "But the highest quality cholesterol is manufactured in your body from saturated fat" is not true. I thought I made that clear. Also, could you explain the difference between high and low quality cholesterol?
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •