Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol to a vegan page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    That's not true. Cholesterol Synthesis
    So what you are saying is what? I have a degree in chemistry but this reference is meaningless to me.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So what you are saying is what? I have a degree in chemistry but this reference is meaningless to me.
    You do? I didn't see saturated fat in that explanation of cholesterol synthesis at all. Maybe you can enlighten me, what with your degree in chemistry and all.

To answer your question more specifically, what I was saying was the statement "But the highest quality cholesterol is manufactured in your body from saturated fat" is not true. I thought I made that clear. Also, could you explain the difference between high and low quality cholesterol?
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    From your link:
    So?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Although I'm not clever enough to understand how you think the link you posted rebuts what eKatherine said, I'm pretty sure that the bit endorsing statins is wrong. And your pugnacious stance makes me less likely to regard you as a credible poster in the future.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just the 30 + steps involved in synthesis is a good enough reason to eat some,
    why waste energy making it when it's easier to eat some.

And eat some fat to to stimulate liver bile flow and cholesterol recycling process.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Although I'm not clever enough to understand how you think the link you posted rebuts what eKatherine said, I'm pretty sure that the bit endorsing statins is wrong. And your pugnacious stance makes me less likely to regard you as a credible poster in the future.
    You can regard me however you like. My attitude doesn't change the fact that cholesterol is not made from saturated fat. It shows as much in that link from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, which was the first result in my search for "cholesterol synthesis". You can do that same search yourself if you feel my efforts to rebut obvious falsehoods aren't sufficient or believable.

PS Pugnacious is a good word.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Is cholesterol a lipid?

tl;dr - the answer is yes
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Timthetaco Guest
    You'll find a less specific answer for Is cholesterol made from saturated fat?

That's the only point I intended to clarify. Maybe what Katherine was trying to say was that saturated fat makes for more rigid cell membranes than PUFAs. I don't know, I was just correcting what looked like a factual error.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Fair enough. I knew it was a fat though, and a solid waxy substance at room temperature. Since saturated fat is a solid at room temperature and unsaturated fat isn't I thought that it was a reasonable assumption that it had a saturated component.

savoyjfas is offline Junior Member
    You don't need to consume cholesterol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast