Thread: Crohn's Disease page

ajm422 is offline Senior Member

Crohn's Disease

Primal Fuel
    My dad has Crohn's Disease. It's actually under incredibly brilliant control (his gastroenterologist calls him his "miracle patient") thanks to changes he's made to his lifestyle and diet. Oh yeah, he's also taking infliximab which definitely helps. I was wondering if there's anyone here who has Crohn's or know someone with Crohn's. What measures have you/they enacted that helped? My dad is a major beer-a-holic and we've managed to get him down to only 1-2 per week, which I think is fine. He has cut out most non-primal things and has a generally great diet. I have him doing a BodyByScience-type exercise regimen, but he has really bad arthritis in his hands thanks to 40 years of being an auto mechanic.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried going gluten-free, including substituting a gluten-free beer? I have heard it helps a lot of people with Crohn's.

My sister has Crohn's, but we haven't discussed it in a long time.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Have you tried going gluten-free, including substituting a gluten-free beer? I have heard it helps a lot of people with Crohn's.

My sister has Crohn's, but we haven't discussed it in a long time.
    Yeah, I have turned him onto high-end cider and as much wine as possible. The former is going well, the latter not so much. I wouldn't take those last 1-2 beers/week away because it wouldn't make a difference and it makes him so happy. Otherwise he's almost entirely gluten free.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Yeah, I have turned him onto high-end cider and as much wine as possible. The former is going well, the latter not so much. I wouldn't take those last 1-2 beers/week away because it wouldn't make a difference and it makes him so happy. Otherwise he's almost entirely gluten free.
    How do you know that it wouldn't make a difference to substitute gluten-free beer? 2 regular beers a week would make me sick as a dog.

Happymama is offline Junior Member
    My husband has Crohns and I just started PB in hopes of getting him to join me. His diet is terrible! He lives on white flour and sugar. He is overweight and feels miserable all of the time. He has never tried to alter his diet but I am hoping that seeing me eat good quality steak and bacon and eggs will persuade him to give it a try. Glad to hear your dad is doing well!