Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beans, lentils, etc... What's the deal? page

Cascorro is offline Junior Member

beans, lentils, etc... What's the deal?

Shop Now
    Hi,

My partner and I have completed our first 6 Primal weeks, with only a week-long headache as the major setback.

When explaining to others about this diet they seem to understand clearly about the sugar and the grains bit, but I am not sure myself about legumes (all kinds of beans, lentils etc.). I thougth I had seen something about them in the blog, but I can't find it.

So, my question is: are legumes also out (as are peanuts, peas, green beans, etc.) and if so, why? Is it because of their nutritional content, or because they are difficult to digest?

As an additional explanation: these foods (chick peas, kidney beans, and others like it) are staple food in Spain and other Mediterranean countries, so it's a real issue here! It's bad enough getting off bread, but legumes also?!

Thanks

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Here is the post Mark did about it;
    marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't see the big problem with beans. I'm sure there's lots of stuff about anti-nutrients and all that but if you have a healthy GI and you like beans, eat your beans. Especially if you're off bread. Cutting out added sugar, bread, gluten, and most grains will give you 90% of your primal benefits. The point is to make it a sustainable lifestyle and if beans help you do that, eat your beans.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with ajm422. As Mark has said "Legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, split peas, etc.) aren’t, by any means, the worst thing you can eat, but they don’t make the ideal meal either. In my estimation, legumes fall into the “O.K.” category with wine, chocolate, cheese and other dairy."

Read more: Beans and Legumes | Mark's Daily Apple

Cascorro is offline Junior Member
    So, I guess the same goes for grean beans and peas.

Regarding dairy products, I do eat Kefir every morning, which I make at home. I think that this is more probiotics than plain dairy?

Well, I will consider putting legumes and specially chick peas (think hummus, and Cocido from Madrid) on the "with moderation" category, since I do indulge in black chocolate and some wine every now and again....

Thank you eig, ajm422 and canuck416 for your replies.
    Last edited by Cascorro; 05-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    If beans show up as a garnish I wouldn't worry about it. The main hazard is relying on them as a significant protein source since seed proteins are often defensive/allergenic in nature, and in practice they displace animal goodness. Also the starch found in beans is an uncommon form and can sometimes support the wrong gut bacteria.

Note that lower-calorie legumes like peas, green beans, and mung sprouts are often considered exempt--I eat them sometimes.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I agree with ajm422. As Mark has said "Legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, split peas, etc.) aren’t, by any means, the worst thing you can eat, but they don’t make the ideal meal either. In my estimation, legumes fall into the “O.K.” category with wine, chocolate, cheese and other dairy."

Read more: Beans and Legumes | Mark's Daily Apple
    It's interesting how different we look at some things. For instance, Mark considers chocolate "ok", I consider it a "superfood" (yes, annoying, over-used term) that should be consumed in high quantity. Even within the primal community, there are lots of different ideals.

As for beans, I say soak them overnight and eat them up...provided you don't have any reactions. I would personally say that soaked beans are a very healthy thing to eat for most people.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Beans, legumes: Mix 'em in. I'll have beans in a taco salad, for example. Green beans, too, because you eat the 'casing' as well as the bean itself, are better I think.

I'd stay away from peanuts and soy for sure, though. Those are typically highly processed, and many people are becoming allergic to them. You'll also get your fair share of soy by simply not eating soy beans or soy sauce, as soybean oil and soy lecithin are in just about everything it seems.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    It's interesting how different we look at some things. For instance, Mark considers chocolate "ok", I consider it a "superfood" (yes, annoying, over-used term) that should be consumed in high quantity. Even within the primal community, there are lots of different ideals.

As for beans, I say soak them overnight and eat them up...provided you don't have any reactions. I would personally say that soaked beans are a very healthy thing to eat for most people.
    1. Excellent username. I hope you're a lawyer.

2. Primal is so much better than paleo because things like moderation, YMMV, and relaxed constraints are encouraged. If you go into a strict paleo forum and ask about beans, you'll be chased out and yet half their posts are about ridiculous things like paleo coconut pancakes and paleo bread. Finely ground coconut powder is not paleo. Eating raw sugar cane or beets? Sure that's paleo. Those are plants. Processing it into fine white sugar is what makes it not paleo. How the hell are coconuts any different? Eating a coconut straight out of the shell? Paleo. Separating the contents of the coconut and grinding them to bits? How the hell do these people not see this? I get that paleo is in many ways a guideline and not a hard and fast dictum. But Jesus - you can't call yourself 100% paleo if you're eating a food that contains ground coconut powder, stevia powder, vanilla extract, baking soda, pumpkin puree and whatever else. These are all foods taken out of their original context just the exact same way sucrose, milk, refined salt, and canola oil are taken out of their natural context. /rant

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I eat green beans and snow peas fairly often. Both are mostly pod, so the amount of actual "bean" you are eating is minimal. Plus they are yummy.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast