Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Think your wightloss journey is tough? better think again page 5

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'd like to comment on the whole "willpower" aspect of weight lose. First I should say that I've never really had a weight problem, I lost 25lbs eating primally and I'm in the "normal" weight category, but from my perspective the friends I've known that have been overweight and have dieted seem to me to have a hell of a lot of "willpower". The ones I know are way less lazy than me, they exercise more than me and have the tenacity to restrict their calories in ways that I could never imagine doing!

IMO weight loss has very little to do with WILLPOWER. I suspect it has more to do with the foods we eat and how we eat. I've never been an emotional eater (so I won't comment on that because I know nothing about it), I've always eaten out of hunger and stopped when full. I believe the weight I gained had to do with eating the wrong foods. Pasta is not nourishing so you eat more in attempt to get the nutrients you need. Also I'm a firm believer in sitting down at the table to eat a proper meal not in front of TV.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's because you think maybe this time you will succeed.

I hiked 1200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail and thought wow, I'm going to keep this weight off no matter what it takes. But the weight had its own ideas. It came back even though I really tried to keep it off. So I went back out again and hiked 1800 miles. This time I was going to try even harder to keep it off. The weight came back even faster. I could see it every day in the mirror. I wasn't even overeating or anything. So I tried running 3-5 miles every day and eating salads with no dressing on them and other moderate meals. Nothing happened to my weight but I was starving all the time! Something was definitely broken inside me.

Thank god for the Primal Blueprint, saturated animal fat, real meat, avoiding wheat products. Basically doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do to get thin.

I eat more daily now than I did after those two hikes. And I exercise way way less than I did on those hikes or afterwards. So this lazy glutton today is more successful than that hungry, walking fool was back then. Which of the versions of me has more willpower?
    You nailed it-you were doing what all the diet books/programs and our own government was telling you to do, to lose the weight. These plans are set up for failure and people are following them, and then blaming themselves when they don't work. Heck, it's even our own doctors who are giving us bad advise-these are the people who we're supposed to be able to trust. I was shocked when my dh's doctor gave him a diet outline for lowering his cholesteral and losing weight-filled with processed carbs and junk. I threw it away and dh is slowly working on cutting back on processed carbs instead.

There are so many people who are really trying, but are failing through no fault of their own. And primal/paleo living may be popular in some areas, but it's a total unknown in my circle of friends and family. I only found out about it because it was mentioned on a recipe blog I followed. But everyone and their brother and neighbor is on weight watchers or Atkins. These are 'reputable'plans that people really do think they work. That's because these companies spend millions of dollars in advertising and are approved by many doctors. The odds are stacked against people successfully losing weight and maintaining the loss in a sustainable, long term way that's healthy.
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-10-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    *~Sara~*

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Interesting replies! IMO, having lost 125 lbs, it's a mixture of all these views.

I set out to lose weight for the primary factor that I didn't want to die. At 44, I was 325 + pounds. I had pains in my chest and knees, I went to a Dr., and was put on high blood pressure meds, my cholesterol was hitting critical levels. I knew that I either had to get my shit together, or die, leaving behind two small children.

Why do we keep trying one failed "diet", or "weight loss gimmick" after another? In the hopes that this one will work. My final recourse was hCG. I was lucky, it worked for me. There was a great side effect to it. The highly restrictive diet was made up of real food. While losing the weight, I looked into different ways of eating that mirrored the hCG diet, and stumbled on to Paleo.

I took the time to research wheat, fat, sugar (in all it's forms). I educated myself. I learned why chronic cardio, low fat/high carbs, processed food doesn't help anyone lose weight, if it did, hardly anyone would be fat or even worse, obese.

for the respondent who made the remark about will-power, who sits at a hefty 105 lbs, good for you. I truly believe will power has nothing to do with it. It's making choices and being responsible for yourself. McDonald's didn't force me to spend my money there. I held the fork. I opened my mouth. I pushed all those horrid foods down my gullet.

I have just turned 46. I weigh between 205-208, I would like to lose another 30 lbs, and just may do so. I am on day 21 of a 100 burpees in 100 days challenge. I take joy in the fact that even though I am still fat, I am not looking forward to death, life is ripe for the taking!

Whether it's ignorance, sadness, shame, bad advice from the medical establishment, lack of will power, or more than likely a combination of all of that. I wouldn't wish obesity on anyone. These are people, who are loved, and should be respected as human beings. The road to good health is pockmarked with landmines, and anyone who wants to lose weight is going to hit a few on their travels. The best anyone can do is be supportive, and not so incredibly judgmental.

Off my soapbox!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    No personal flaw gets judged quite as harshly as being fat except maybe smoking. The assumption that the reason people are fat is laziness or lack of self control is wrong in a lot of cases and probably why we have so many fat people.

If people are fat because they are lazy, and lazy means being some form of a couch potato, why are there so many fat people running? Why did I cross the finish line of a marathon while obese? I assume that the ability to train for a marathon and doing it makes me not lazy. However, taking a step to not be lazy did not make me less fat.

If people are fat because they lack willpower/control over their eating, why was I fat while eating well below the US RDA for calories, consistently while being more active than an average person? I was plenty hungry and restrictive and not noshing on McDonalds. Controlling my consumption of calories did not make me less fat.

Yes, there are people who are lazy and eat McDonalds and they come in all shapes and sizes. But assuming all people are fat for that reason leads to really ineffective weightloss advice. I remember a yearly check up and the doctor advised me to "walk 20 or 30 minutes a day, quit drinking soda and stay away from fast food". That was super unhelpful to the obese girl that was training for a marathon (I was up to 20 mile long runs at that point) and who was a vegetarian with a carefully controlled diet that did not drink soda or even juice.

I had no idea my body was simply starved for nutrients and protein and fat and that feeding it would right things. Last night my dinner was a burger with an egg and cheddar on top. 95% of people would call that fattening. 2 years ago my dinner would have been a veggie burger with light cheese on a light wheat roll. 95% of people would say "that's a healthy choice".

It would be helpful if we reconsidered our kneejerk assumption that fat people load up on crap food and sit around so that when you have people that seem to eat right you can advise them to try a different approach instead of assuming they are "cheating" on a sucky diet that doesn't work. Willpower will never work if it means your body gets so malnourished it hangs onto fat.

mdmoore07 is offline Member
    Wow...that guy's skin is pissed.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83744.html

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Whether it's ignorance, sadness, shame, bad advice from the medical establishment, lack of will power, or more than likely a combination of all of that. I wouldn't wish obesity on anyone. These are people, who are loved, and should be respected as human beings. The road to good health is pockmarked with landmines, and anyone who wants to lose weight is going to hit a few on their travels. The best anyone can do is be supportive, and not so incredibly judgmental.
    +1 Beautifully said. Thank you.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    No personal flaw gets judged quite as harshly as being fat except maybe smoking. The assumption that the reason people are fat is laziness or lack of self control is wrong in a lot of cases and probably why we have so many fat people.

If people are fat because they are lazy, and lazy means being some form of a couch potato, why are there so many fat people running? Why did I cross the finish line of a marathon while obese? I assume that the ability to train for a marathon and doing it makes me not lazy. However, taking a step to not be lazy did not make me less fat.

If people are fat because they lack willpower/control over their eating, why was I fat while eating well below the US RDA for calories, consistently while being more active than an average person? I was plenty hungry and restrictive and not noshing on McDonalds. Controlling my consumption of calories did not make me less fat.

Yes, there are people who are lazy and eat McDonalds and they come in all shapes and sizes. But assuming all people are fat for that reason leads to really ineffective weightloss advice. I remember a yearly check up and the doctor advised me to "walk 20 or 30 minutes a day, quit drinking soda and stay away from fast food". That was super unhelpful to the obese girl that was training for a marathon (I was up to 20 mile long runs at that point) and who was a vegetarian with a carefully controlled diet that did not drink soda or even juice.

I had no idea my body was simply starved for nutrients and protein and fat and that feeding it would right things. Last night my dinner was a burger with an egg and cheddar on top. 95% of people would call that fattening. 2 years ago my dinner would have been a veggie burger with light cheese on a light wheat roll. 95% of people would say "that's a healthy choice".

It would be helpful if we reconsidered our kneejerk assumption that fat people load up on crap food and sit around so that when you have people that seem to eat right you can advise them to try a different approach instead of assuming they are "cheating" on a sucky diet that doesn't work. Willpower will never work if it means your body gets so malnourished it hangs onto fat.
    Really well said.

I admit I used to make fun of fatties (thinking it was a willpower thing or whatever), it's not.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345