Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Think your wightloss journey is tough? better think again page 4

  1. #31
    aliphian's Avatar
    aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    People are weak; they have no willpower- period. I weighed less than 100 lbs most of the last 15 years. I think I currently weigh 102-103. You can lose weight and keep it off it you want to badly enough. I am sick of these kinds of stories, just utter garbage.
    I was going to type something similar. Less pissed-off sounding, but similar. While I do not agree that "most" people are weak, most people are unwilling to work hard to improve their own quality of life. I do not pity them however as it is their own choice to make.

    And to the people saying that it is a misunderstanding of different food types that leads to obesity; ignorance is supposed to be temporary. Research is hard work that most people are not willing to do to improve their own quality of life.

  2. #32
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,862
    Research is hard work that most people are not willing to do to improve their own quality of life.
    A lot of people do work hard to no avail.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  3. #33
    aliphian's Avatar
    aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    A lot of people do work hard to no avail.
    Sucks to be them I guess. If one is not seeing results maybe it is time to figure out a different plan of attack.
    Last edited by aliphian; 05-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #34
    Winterbike's Avatar
    Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    512
    I have a legitimate question: I've had struggles in life, but I've never been overweight. I don't know what goes through the mind of someone dieting, and I've always been puzzled by something. When you diet over and over again with no success, why do you keep doing it? Is it some kind of emotional fixation? I never understood how so many people can know dieting is shitty and useless, yet do it over and over again. Are other solutions too hard to find or too hard to apply?

  5. #35
    Techie's Avatar
    Techie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    70
    Very few (less than 2-3%) of people have the MC4R genetic predisposition for obesity.

    Fat people teach their kids through their actions (inactivity, lack of portion control) and usually with the combination of poor socioeconomic conditions don't or can't take the effort to eat and exercise properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Totally disagree with you. There's a lot more than 'willpower' that's going on here. Genetics, health problems, people honestly putting effort into diet programs that are set up for failure etc. I do think genetics is a big one- my mom's best friend's family and extended family are all morbidly obese. However, she has three adopted children who grew up most their lives in her household, and they're really thin-while eating the same food as the obese people were. Even when the kids were all young (too young to sneak food or go out and get it themselves), the biological kids were obese and the adopted ones were skinny.

    If you haven't read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata I highly recommend it. She goes into the history of dieting in the U.S., plus looks at some of the studies that have been done about dieting, obesity, genetics, leptin etc.

  6. #36
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    I have a legitimate question: I've had struggles in life, but I've never been overweight. I don't know what goes through the mind of someone dieting, and I've always been puzzled by something. When you diet over and over again with no success, why do you keep doing it? Is it some kind of emotional fixation? I never understood how so many people can know dieting is shitty and useless, yet do it over and over again. Are other solutions too hard to find or too hard to apply?
    It's hard being hated by strangers because you're fat. You want to stop being fat.

    But beyond that, every diet or exercise guru, nutrition specialist, person who lost weight, and naturally thin people out there are telling you that YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRYING TO LOSE THAT WEIGHT YOU LAZY GLUTTON! IT'S YOUR OWN DAMNED FAULT!

  7. #37
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I was going to type something similar. Less pissed-off sounding, but similar. While I do not agree that "most" people are weak, most people are unwilling to work hard to improve their own quality of life. I do not pity them however as it is their own choice to make.

    And to the people saying that it is a misunderstanding of different food types that leads to obesity; ignorance is supposed to be temporary. Research is hard work that most people are not willing to do to improve their own quality of life.
    The issue is that just as everyone is not cut out to be a teacher of yoga, build their own computer, or fix their car, so also are most people not able to just like that become researchers who will set out from the beginning to do research based on the idea that everything you have been told is a lie.

  8. #38
    aliphian's Avatar
    aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The issue is that just as everyone is not cut out to be a teacher of yoga, build their own computer, or fix their car, so also are most people not able to just like that become researchers who will set out from the beginning to do research based on the idea that everything you have been told is a lie.
    I get what you are saying. I suppose I had the advantage of always knowing that everything I have been told is a lie.

  9. #39
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,056
    So, the guy loses a ton of weight and everyone cheers - what fortitude! What inner strength! What an amazing guy!

    He gains it back. What a weakling! How lazy!

    He's a medical miracle! He's both weak and strong! A chimera if you will.

    IMO, unless a person has lost more than 50 lbs and then kept it off the rest of their life, they're talking out of their asses. They have no more clue as to the why of obesity than the doctors they mock.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  10. #40
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    When you diet over and over again with no success, why do you keep doing it?
    It's because you think maybe this time you will succeed.

    I hiked 1200 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail and thought wow, I'm going to keep this weight off no matter what it takes. But the weight had its own ideas. It came back even though I really tried to keep it off. So I went back out again and hiked 1800 miles. This time I was going to try even harder to keep it off. The weight came back even faster. I could see it every day in the mirror. I wasn't even overeating or anything. So I tried running 3-5 miles every day and eating salads with no dressing on them and other moderate meals. Nothing happened to my weight but I was starving all the time! Something was definitely broken inside me.

    Thank god for the Primal Blueprint, saturated animal fat, real meat, avoiding wheat products. Basically doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do to get thin.

    I eat more daily now than I did after those two hikes. And I exercise way way less than I did on those hikes or afterwards. So this lazy glutton today is more successful than that hungry, walking fool was back then. Which of the versions of me has more willpower?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •