Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Think your wightloss journey is tough? better think again page 2

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Something like 95% of all people who lose substantial weight will regain it within five years. No matter whether you lose it fast or slow, healthfully or non-healthfully. Which is why yoyo dieting is so prevalent. Maybe it will be different for paleo/primal. I hope so.

oops was posting at the same time.
    I hope so too! I lost my weight doing IF with SAD but am doing maintenance with primal, with some IF still thrown in, in hopes that a healthier way of eating will help keep me on maintenance track. It's hard for me to overeat on meat and eggs
    *~Sara~*

Techie is offline Member
    I just thought of that guy last night, did the same thing and looked him up. After the TV interview just last fall he gained another 100 or so, lost his girlfriend, (he lost his personal training gig a little after a year), and broke his leg putting him into a nursing home.

You can youtube his new channel and see what a fallen individual looks like. Yet somehow a few months ago a "fan" invited him to move in with her, she's some petite 110 pound hottie (likely trying to piggyback off any future success like Chris Powell)

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I started the primal thing thinking "I can do this for a while and lose a bunch of weight!"

Luckily though, this way of eating and working out has turned me into an outdoorsie type of person (before it was video games, potato chips and soda).

The primal lifestyle has taken root in my brain and now I never crave the video games, potato chips, and soda. I only crave a more Grok-like lifestyle.

That is the whole problem with "dieting". Diets are inherently viewed as temporary things to be discarded once preset goals are met. The pursuit should be the goal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have absolute faith that eating the way I do now I will never end up fat again, ever. It's not even a question of maintaining my exercise level or counting calories. My weight has simply reached normal because I'm getting the nutrition I need, not because I restrict calories or burn it all off exercising.

Perhaps people who find this difficult like a diet are striving for more than just a normal healthy weight, like 6-pack abs or a figure like a model.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

jaczor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    My question is why does someone else's success or failure contribute to your motivation? Motivation needs to be internal, not external.
    My motivation is internal, but external stimuli also affects it, I guess I'm weird like that.

Seeing someone conquer their goals motivates me, it doesn't mean that I wasn't motivated before, reading success stories helps as well. Haven't you ever seen a movie or read a book or listened to a speech that made you do something? perhaps change bad habits or to look for more information about a certain subject? that to me is motivation, and that is why this man's story affects me.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I weighed 300 at one point then lost around 80 lbs and kept it off for a good close to 10 years because I improved my lifestyle from couch-potato/fast food eater, to an active relatively good diet. Through vegetarianism, my weight drifted down (only to a certain point).

I feel like you need to change your lifestyle and find something that works for you. Paleo/primal works great for me and I LOVE crossfit, so it's easy peasy. The life I enjoy is one that lets me be trimmer and it's one I want to live 5 or 10 years from now.

Most people choose a miserable route to actually losing weight so they can get it done quickly. There is definitely an urgency to weightloss.... I can tell that there are people who post here that will burn out on primal/paleo. One thing I see is a "combatitive" attitude towards food. The cycle of restriction and then bingeing. People get caught up over being unhappy not to have a banana or chocolate or occasional piece of cake and end up throwing it all away. But it's a hard balance/slippery slope to have a satisfying yet healthy diet. For me, it is all about keeping that in check. And that balance point is so amazingly hard to find, and so many people foods that are engineered to override that balance.... and they are often foods perceived as healthy!

I will say, a healthy lifestyle is indeed work. I must go to the gym and exercise, I must eat right. I forgot my lunch today and it was a challenge to come up with an appropriate meal at work. I think for the 95%, they lose it, and are "done", move onto other things, fall into the old habits of addictive, processed foods and then...bam, fat again.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    People are weak; they have no willpower- period. I weighed less than 100 lbs most of the last 15 years. I think I currently weigh 102-103. You can lose weight and keep it off it you want to badly enough. I am sick of these kinds of stories, just utter garbage.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    People are weak; they have no willpower- period. I weighed less than 100 lbs most of the last 15 years. I think I currently weigh 102-103. You can lose weight and keep it off it you want to badly enough. I am sick of these kinds of stories, just utter garbage.
    That must be it. The reason why the majority of Americans are overweight or obese and only 2-5% are able to overcome this is moral laxity.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Totally disagree with you. There's a lot more than 'willpower' that's going on here. Genetics, health problems, people honestly putting effort into diet programs that are set up for failure etc. I do think genetics is a big one- my mom's best friend's family and extended family are all morbidly obese. However, she has three adopted children who grew up most their lives in her household, and they're really thin-while eating the same food as the obese people were. Even when the kids were all young (too young to sneak food or go out and get it themselves), the biological kids were obese and the adopted ones were skinny.

If you haven't read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata I highly recommend it. She goes into the history of dieting in the U.S., plus looks at some of the studies that have been done about dieting, obesity, genetics, leptin etc.
    *~Sara~*

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A) You're ignorant, (B) you've not bothered to research how food affects the body, and (C) you're mean-spirited. I'm glad I'm not you.
    And no, i've never been overweight. So it ain't defensiveness here. It's called researching, learning, opening the mind up rather than blaming. You might try it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast