Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish or Eggs? - need some advice . . please page

Paleopal is offline Junior Member

Question Fish or Eggs? - need some advice . . please

Hello Everybody,

I have been vegetarian for 7 years and since being introduced to the paleo diet through a friend a few months ago I have been experimenting with it - incorporating some of the principles into my current diet as best as I can. I have cut out cereals, processed food and dairy and increased my intake of good quality veggie protein (mainly peanut butter, organic eggs, lentils and soya milk/yoghurt - I know the last two arent strictly paleo but I feel okay with that compromise) I did some calculations on my diet recently and found out that I am falling short of the amino acid methionine and the only ways I can see to fix that is to increase my egg intake from 6 a week to 30 or to include some fish/meat.

I am trying to find out how these two options compare in terms of nutrition. I thought eating that many eggs could cause problems - there is a lot of evidence on the internet that you can eat as many eggs as you like though I'm not quite convinced - doesn't feel right. Also it seems there are certain nutrients e.g. Vitamin B12 that are only in meat in sufficient quantities and if I stuck to relying on eggs I could risk falling short.

I am trying to weigh up the two options and not getting anywhere really - so would really appreciate some advice to help me settle this on

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by Paleopal; 05-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.

ClarkKent078603 is offline Junior Member
    Find a balance between them. I have about 2-4 eggs a day, and this is after 6 months of being egg intolerant. When I say egg intolerant, I mean it felt like a war was being waged in my body for around 5-8 hours, after just 1 egg!
    Back to the balance thing, have a couple eggs for breakfast, and throw one or two in shake (raw of course). For dinner, have some wild salmon or shrimp. Also, if you haven't already, read up on Chris Masterjohn's research..really awesome stuff! Welcome to the community man, and good luck on your journey!

Zach is offline Banned
    Why would you remove dairy and add in soy?

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleopal View Post
    I thought eating that many eggs could cause problems - there is a lot of evidence on the internet that you can eat as many eggs as you like though I'm not quite convinced - doesn't feel right.
    It takes some time for some people to finally shake the conventional wisdom fallacies. It's so ingrained and indoctrinated into you that you keep second guessing true eveidence that's right in front of you. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a natural cycle that takes longer for some than others. You'll get there and then look back and just shake your head in disbelief of how deep you were in that trap.

As far as eggs or fish - there shouldn't be an "or". Mix it up as much as possible to get variety, don't focus on one thing and consume it to death.

Side note: You do realize that peanut butter is not primal/paleo at all, don't you?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Make a salmon omelet with extra egg yolks. Thank me later.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Eat some fish eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Why would you remove dairy and add in soy?
    Dairy is full of stuff intended for calves - it never sounded like a good idea to me. Soy may not be perfect but it sounds a lot more normal than dairy to me

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post

As far as eggs or fish - there shouldn't be an "or". Mix it up as much as possible to get variety, don't focus on one thing and consume it to death.

Side note: You do realize that peanut butter is not primal/paleo at all, don't you?
    I felt that eating a mixture of eggs and fish would be better than lots of eggs and wanted to explore the nutrition of that - What I am trying to understand what would be the benefits pf each option - If I ate lots of eggs but no fish/meat what sort of things would be missing out on.

Re: Peanut Butter - I know a fair amount of my diet isnt completely paleo/primal but I am happy with it as it gives me a lot of my protein needs from plant sources. I have done some research and found I might be missing out on things so I'm looking into it. If it is true that I do have to stop being vegetarian I will eat as much meat/fish as I need to.

ClarkKent078603 is offline Junior Member
    Hmm this is where I'm going to disagree with you. Today's soy is much more unnatural than it used to be. Soy also inhibits testosterone production, as it raises estrogen levels. Especially in men. Dairy, if grass-fed and ideally raw, is such a nutritious food. The only thing you have to determine is if you can tolerate grass-fed, unadulterated dairy. Dairy also contains cholesterol, which is a precursor to testosterone and HGH. Vitamin A, D, K2, saturated fat, cholesterol, calcium and protein vs what in soy?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    As far as eggs or fish - there shouldn't be an "or".
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Make a salmon omelet with extra egg yolks.
    Co-sign. Eggs and seafood will be at the top of most nutrition-density lists so excluding either would be a shame. They aren't just protein.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast