Thread: Sorghum flour page

Monte is offline Junior Member

Sorghum flour

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone tell me whether sorghum flour is healthy? Ok for paleo? I found some in a local international foods store and it's inexpensive. I did some research and found out it is a cereal grain, but is gluten-free. Just wondering if it could be a supplement to the more expensive almond flour and maybe another flour option. Thanks in advance!!!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    As a grain, no it's not paleo. But if you want to bake, have found good recipes that use sorghum flour, have a gluten sensitivity, and don't have any negative reactions to sorghum flour... well, you don't need to ask us.

I think rice flour and tapioca starch/potato flour are probably cheaper, but I haven't actually looked myself. Those would be preferable, for me personally.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I think African populations that eat a lot of sorghum don't suffer the way wheat-eating populations do. Lack of gluten is a plus, but I hesitate to call any flour "healthy" since it's dense energy used for celebratory/dessert foods. My policy is that if the price of the flour matters then I'm probably using it too frequently so I splurge on fancy ones like chestnut.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I think African populations that eat a lot of sorghum don't suffer the way wheat-eating populations do. Lack of gluten is a plus, but I hesitate to call any flour "healthy" since it's dense energy used for celebratory/dessert foods. My policy is that if the price of the flour matters then I'm probably using it too frequently so I splurge on fancy ones like chestnut.
    Chestnuts are like sweet potatoes that grow on trees.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I find that mix of rice flour and potato flour works best for me as a wheat flour substitute, but that's just me. If you want a 'paleo' flour that's cheap, try coconut flour, potato flour, tapioca flour.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like using coconut flour as a substitute. I was able to find a pretty good bulk price online for it. One thing that is nice with this flour is that you typically can use a lot less of it, and you will also find that you increase the amount of eggs in the recipe. This means that you are using less of this "special flour" which is more expensive, and more eggs which are a great nutrient dense, primal food. Make sure you use recipes specific to coconut flour though. You definitely can't just sub it in for regular flour!!