Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCT Oil instead of glycogen? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

MCT Oil instead of glycogen?

Shop Now
    I was wondering, since MCT oil is rapidly digested and acts like a carbohydrate, can it serve as a glycogen substitute for us on very low carb doing heavy weightlifting?

http://www.linkroll.com/Medicine-Hea...pplements.html

It is theorized that because MCTs are rapidly absorbed and metabolized, the athlete who ingests them acquires a fuel source that helps to spare the use of muscle glycogen (stored carbohydrate).
    I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Has anyone?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I mean fat can be used to make ATP, it just takes more molecules and a little longer.

As far as MCTs go, I remember someone (not here, a practitioner) mentioning that they get converted into ketones.

It does seem to give me and a few others an instant boost of energy, I usually have a tbsp in me before my workouts anyways.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I've exercised after a spoonful and noticed a bit of an energy kick but for some reason I haven't done it again. I guess I didn't really figure I needed it and I prefer to exercise on an empty stomach.

Go for it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Well I am talking about using it while on nearly deplete glycogen stores. I'm sure you would need a LOT of it to make up for the glycogen, but it could be beneficial in the short time (when losing weight).

Coconut oil is 66% MCT, about 10 grams per tablespoons. My average workout burns 500 calories.... that would be about 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. I could take a tablespoon every 20 minutes...

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Low carbers have no glycogen stores... or very low ones, if being on ketosis. But that's what Low Carb means. You DONT NEED glycogen because you are using the ketonic bodies instead of glucose for energy. So, why you want to substitute it with something else?

I'm doing about 2k calories of intense activity a day while being on ketosis and never feel depleted, cramping or anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Low carbers have no glycogen stores... or very low ones, if being on ketosis. But that's what Low Carb means. You DONT NEED glycogen because you are using the ketonic bodies instead of glucose for energy. So, why you want to substitute it with something else?
    You need glycogen for heavy weightlifting because it's metabolized faster than fats. You cannot do this type of exercise while glycogen depleted. That is why I'm particularly interested in MCT, because it's fast, like glycogen.

I found a study.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/88/1/219

Therefore, the addition of a small amount of MCT to a preexercise CHO meal did not reduce muscle glycogen oxidation during high-intensity exercise, but it did increase glucose uptake at rest.
    However that might not be the case when you are glycogen depleted and the only fuel you have available is the MCT. And if you are keto adapted, all the better I am guessing.
    Last edited by rphlslv; 05-12-2010 at 01:56 PM.

RP not to kill your hopes, I have a feeling that the MCTs will just get converted into ketones faster than say fat would be mobilized by Hormone sensitive lipase and then converted into ketones... Im not positive on this either so take it with a grain of salt...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    RP not to kill your hopes, I have a feeling that the MCTs will just get converted into ketones faster than say fat would be mobilized by Hormone sensitive lipase and then converted into ketones... Im not positive on this either so take it with a grain of salt...
    Well it will be a great energy booster anyways. Something to rely on when you're low on glycogen and have been fasting for a while. A coconut bottle keeps nicely in my gym bag.

Oh yeah Im not disputing that at all. Rock on!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Eat fat to replete glycogen stores? I don't see the point. You would need to eat either carbs or protein to do that.

But if your fat metabolism is properly activated (by following a diet low in net-carbs) your body can mobilize plenty of fat, I don't see how the dietary fat could help to boost your power levels.

Edit: Now I do see how it could be done, if it's MCFAs (medium chain fatty acids) - but it doesn't have anything to do with glycogen stores directly:

MCFA are, as far as I know, metabolized by the mitochondria of your muscle cells directly, even bypassing the usual transport systems for fats, and providing an additional energy source to the body. If that is true, MCFA might indirectly affect the glycogen stores by giving the muscle cells a chance of repleting the glycogen stores (through blood glucose, as supplied for example through gluconeogenesis) while the energy is provided by both LCFA and MCFA.
    Last edited by MikeEnRegalia; 05-15-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast