Thread: Mixed Up Puppy Looking For Advice page

slog is offline Member

Mixed Up Puppy Looking For Advice

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm Slog, from Wales, UK I'm going to try and keep this brief. Next Saturday I will hopefully complete my 3rd Ironman triathlon, which for many reasons is looking like it'll be my last It's been a hell of a journey from a 320lb injured rugby forward to a 200lb serious longcourse triathlon participant, but I need to face up to the fact that my current lifestyle (addiction) is now causing more problems than the benefits it provides. I originally took up triathlon to keep my weight down following a 100lb weightloss on a soups/sachet style VLC programme, but if I'm completely honest, while I enjoy wearing the 'Ironman Elite Athlete' badge, physically it's not producing the 'Looking Good Naked' results I so vanely crave, despite spending 15-18hrs p/w on average training. Therefore, I'm looking to the MDA collective for some advice.
    I've had to try and decide what I want to do exercise-wise long term, as in what I enjoy, and what is good for me to help me reach my goals. Ideally, I'd like to carry on cycling with my triathlon buddies, but drop the running (as I don't think pi$$ing blood after my weekly long runs has a long term future) and most of the swimming, in favour of a simple, laid out strength programme, such as Starting Strength. Diet will continue to be Paleo/Primal, which I find easy to stick to.
    My goal is a lean,vital, functional body, (not big and beefy, been there, done that!) rather than the skinny-fat bloke with awesome legs and shoulders I have become. I expect my cycling to suffer due to the intensity of the weights sessions, bit if I can somehow marry the 2 together and achieve results then I think I'll be sorted.
    I did say I'd keep this brief, and also now realise I've probably posted this in the wrong section! Anyway, what do you people think? will my passion for cycling compromise the results to be gained from lifting heavy? Is there indeed life after Ironman ???

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You've come to the right place. If you like the cycling, keep doing it. It's about enjoying what you do. Beyond that, try and see. You are your own experimental subject.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey...I reckon you're in the right place too. Sounds like you're really ready for the change.

I used to be a died in the wool runner - was determined it was what I wanted to do, but once I started really getting into lifting I realised that the urge to go run long distances had completely up and left. The only cardio I do these days is 6-7 minutes of HIIT 3 times a week and I've never been fitter. So, you may eventually find that you don't feel the need to cycle so much, but even if not you'll be so much better equipped to do it

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I'd say keep running, cycling and swimming and do sprint intervals rather than hours of steady state.

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    If you've never heard of crossfit Endurance, then you should probably look into that. It has a crossfit strength program, but also includes any of the ironman endurance sports.

savoyjfas is offline Junior Member
    It's about enjoying what you do.

slog is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice so far! I really do appreciate it. Crossfit Endurance is a strong possibility, as it will hopefully allow me to "keep my hand in" with triathlon-related stuff, but most importantly, allow me to significantly reduce my training volume and work towards my goal of being lean and functionally fit. As the main man says, I'm aiming to look as fit as I can, rather than being as fit as I can. I can honestly say that this week is the first time in 6-7 months that I actually feel fit and strong, as I am tapering my training load in prep for the forthcoming event. If any of you guys have ever been embroiled in endurance activities, you'll know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, "judgement day", the event itself, is an awesome, life changing experience (I sobbed uncontrollably for an hour in the medical tent after my first one!!), but it's got to the stage where the big day euphoria I derive no longer compensates for the sacrifice that needs to be made by" all concerned". Waffle over, Diolch yn Fawr Iawn