Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: True Hunger? page

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United States, Maryland
    Posts
    48

    True Hunger?

    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I remember before I found primal living and I was eating the dreadful CW diets and it was pretty unhealthy too haha (too much chocolate....) anyways I used to get lots of stomach rumblings all the time and they were pretty loud!

    However since starting this lifestyle change a while back and practicing IF fasting I have noticed that my growling stomach...stopped growling!
    Instead I just feel an empty feeling when hungry and now more recently I have been feeling a pang in the back of my throat when hungry as well as the empty feeling.
    I read somewhere online when I was researching IF fasting that this represents true hunger, is this true?
    Has my body tuned into itself and only tells me to eat when necessary?
    P.S I never get cravings for sugary or carby food anymore!
    I feel so isolated as every day I search for others like me, I havn't found them yet but I will one day...

    <3 I have conquered Bulimia, Depression and Anorexia with Paleo! <3

  2. #2
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    I can confirm the "empty feeling". At one meal per day, I am not tempted at all by what my colleagues are eating for lunch or even breakfast at their desk. No cravings for carby stuff like bread, pasta, etc.

    Around 5-6pm, I go home completely fasted after a bike ride of ~ 10 miles during which I do not think about food at all. But when I reach home, I then start to have this empty feeling you describe and the sight of a chunk of meat or eggs or ham makes me go straight to the kitchen for preparing a nice dinner full of primal goodies. And the funny thing is how my mental feels: completely uplifted while cooking

  3. #3
    Techie's Avatar
    Techie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    70
    I once did a 24 day water only fast, hunger shuts down entirely after glycogen is depleted and ketone adapted (48-72 hours unless your low carb). True hunger came back on Day 24, and you'll know when it happens.

    Until then as long as you have excess body fat and a source of amino acids for glucose for your brain (existing proteins in your food from the day before, or lean muscle mass in my case) your body is probably just responding to ghrehlin, cortisol, or your natural insulin cycle.

  4. #4
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Techie View Post
    I once did a 24 day water only fast, hunger shuts down entirely after glycogen is depleted and ketone adapted (48-72 hours unless your low carb). True hunger came back on Day 24, and you'll know when it happens.

    Until then as long as you have excess body fat and a source of amino acids for glucose for your brain (existing proteins in your food from the day before, or lean muscle mass in my case) your body is probably just responding to ghrehlin, cortisol, or your natural insulin cycle.
    Hey Techie, I hadn't heard that cortisol is involved in appetite regulation: could you expand on this?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #5
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Techie, I hadn't heard that cortisol is involved in appetite regulation: could you expand on this?
    i think pklopp has a very interesting graph showing cortisol levels vs fasting time. You can check his signature and read his Part 3 on IF.

    Here it is!

  6. #6
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,424
    I think experiencing hunger is a very individual thing. I did a number of 2 day fasts some years back, and I was weak with hunger much of the time. It might be different now.

  7. #7
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    If fasting and female, and it seems particularly those who have been Primal for a few years and especially on the VLC version, be cautious.

    Fasting is recognised (it seems) as more of a stressor by the female body, than the male one. Stressors are one of the triggers for cortisol, hence the reference above to cortisol in relation to fasting. Cortisol is known to be a fat storer, especially around the midriff. Cortisol is a hormone which is synthesized from other hormones so more cortisol less of something else (notably the reproductive hormones). If your lifestyle is stressful on a number of fronts; work, family, sleep deprivation etc adding extra stressors may not be a great idea.

    This is a very useful link to consider with regard to the female hormonal aspect of staying VLC and fasting, in fact, doing any of the Primal things to excess!

    Hormones, Homeostasis, and Why You (Probably) Need Carbs :: stumptuous.com
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United States, Maryland
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    If fasting and female, and it seems particularly those who have been Primal for a few years and especially on the VLC version, be cautious.

    Fasting is recognised (it seems) as more of a stressor by the female body, than the male one. Stressors are one of the triggers for cortisol, hence the reference above to cortisol in relation to fasting. Cortisol is known to be a fat storer, especially around the midriff. Cortisol is a hormone which is synthesized from other hormones so more cortisol less of something else (notably the reproductive hormones). If your lifestyle is stressful on a number of fronts; work, family, sleep deprivation etc adding extra stressors may not be a great idea.

    This is a very useful link to consider with regard to the female hormonal aspect of staying VLC and fasting, in fact, doing any of the Primal things to excess!

    Hormones, Homeostasis, and Why You (Probably) Need Carbs :: stumptuous.com
    How long a fast are we talking? Usually I do the 16/8 hrs thing but once a month I push myself for as long as I can sometimes ending up at 3-4 day fasts.
    Plus I am usually on a very low carb diet and I find it hard to exceed 40-50g a day. But yet I feel healthy, active and have tons of energy and I've been eating a small calorie surplus of proteins and fats and have been gaining muscle weight in between my workouts.
    Would this then be considered bad?

  9. #9
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    Read the link and see where you fit.

    I've noticed a lot of threads here lately where females who have been doing great, some for several years, start to find things aren't going so well. The link gives some ideas for why things go wrong when it's taken to excess, and for females for whom some of the Primal aspects don't play as well, or play differently from men.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  10. #10
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,424
    I've been doing all sorts of IF, and it totally agrees with me.

    But I don't think VLC is the whole solution, at least not for most people. I like the idea of not only varying my window of eating, but also my calories and macros. I'm doing the steak and eggs diet now. We have a carb refeed each Sunday. Last Sunday I ate low fat, mostly vegetables and fruit up to my maintenance level. Other days I eat steak and eggs, one meal or two, but entirely VLC.

    This is temporary, but I can imagine having a steak and eggs day as well as a carb refeed day like this every week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •