Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Problem page

freshstart is offline Junior Member

The Ultimate Problem

Primal Fuel
    I'm sure this is old news to many, but my main struggle is sugary foods. I love to exercise via sprints and weight lifting, I have no problems staying away from the salty and gluten-heavy carbs, but sugar is my kryptonite. I'm relatively new to the forum, and many of the posts I've been reading make it seem so simple to make the switch to being a completely primal fat-burner!

I've tried the 'distracting myself' and eating other things when I'm craving sugar, but even after I have a full hearty meal I can't seem to stay away from it. When I eat it I feel awful but I can't resist the taste. I don't buy it, but when I'm going past a store sometimes I can't resist my cravings. Does anyone else or has anyone else had these problems? How can I cut sugar forever? I'm willing to give it up always if I have to, I just can't figure out how.

Zach is offline Banned
    You absolutely need sugar for sprinting and weight lifting. Just get it from the right sources, fruit, potatoes, rice, all good.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    It was pretty simple for me. I forced myself not to have any dessert sugar for one month. I kept telling myself that I would have a huge Wendy's Frosty after the month was over. When it came time for the Frosty, I no longer wanted it. Now vegetables are about as much sugar as I can stand.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smartuko View Post
    It was pretty simple for me. I forced myself not to have any dessert sugar for one month. I kept telling myself that I would have a huge Wendy's Frosty after the month was over. When it came time for the Frosty, I no longer wanted it. Now vegetables are about as much sugar as I can stand.
    lol, liar.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Once in awhile, I just eat my share of sweets until I'm sick of it. That cures my cravings for weeks. Either that or just don't keep anything sugary or that you consider dangerous for your diet in the house. Or just go to sleep.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You absolutely need sugar for sprinting and weight lifting. Just get it from the right sources, fruit, potatoes, rice, all good.
    I lift heavy 3 times a week and do very well wihout any of the foods you mentioned. Go figure.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    If you have such huge cravings, then you can ease your path to being sugar-free by replacing it with something like xylitol (the birch-sugar). Some people have issues with it because they develop gas and other GI discomfort. Others do not at all (I am one of those, even though I stopped eating it regularly after my first few months sugar-free). Xylitol has so many health benefits, it is a great way to get rid of a sugar addiction while still satisfying your sweet tooth for a while. Even diabetic people take xylitol for its benefits. Read about it and see if that would be a good way to get rid of sucrose. And the cool thing about it: it is not addictive. The little drawback: it is about 10 to 15 times more expensive than sucrose. This will definitely make your consumption of the stuff rather moderate

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Different ways to do this:
    - moderate carb and try to eat lots of berries, not too much sugar but still sweet and you can stuff yourself with those
    - try CKD and refeed with all the junk you want, even candy works just fine
    - get over the cravings (didnt ever work for me though)

mikegee2 is offline Member
    I have literally tried these things myself and never shaken the need for something sewwt...so I buy squares of the chocolate i like, (green and blacks, callebaut) and have one WHENEVER i have a craving. At first I wanted to eat it all, but i practiced restraint and now, I can have the one square and be satisfied. I have given up trying to resist food URGES

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Define sugary....
    If by sugary you mean you gotta have a banana, or an apple or a piece of dark chocolate, just eat it.

If by sugary you mean you need to buy some pixie sticks, oreos, starbursts and soda you need to work on addressing the issue or figure out a way to limit yourself.

I find I cycle on wanting carbs/fat/protein. Usually craving sugar, for me, is fixed by eating more fruit, some carbs etc. Every so often I just want something treat like- ice cream, chocolate- I usually try and make a paleo sweet or will just have some ice cream or something.

Right now, I'm in a cycle of wanting more fat, much to the sadness of my rotting mango. When I bought that mango, I was all into carbs.

I guess my advice- try and take care of your cravings with a natural source- fruit, sweet potato etc. and if that doesn't work, make a plan of how much or how little of the off plan sugar foods you will eat. Don't ever have them on hand- I love the haagen daz single serve cups. I buy one. I make single serve paleo treats so I don't have 3 days of cake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast