Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SeattleSlim -- Trying to Accentuate the Positive page

SeattleSlim is offline Member

SeattleSlim -- Trying to Accentuate the Positive

Primal Fuel
    I decided to try this PB thing in an effort to cure a skin problem I have called perioral dermatitis. And oh yeah, I need to lose about 50 pounds.

I have been yo-yo dieting for about 20 years. I have been trying very hard to ditch the diet mentality, and have recently finally stopped counting calories and started thinking about eating a clean diet. But I always fall prey to the siren song of carby junk food.

I started eating primal 3 days ago, and it's going very well so far. I know I have a lot to learn, but I figured I may as well jump in and figure it out as I go. I haven't noticed much of a difference with my skin, but I've lost 4 pounds already and it's fantastic to feel like I can eat a good hearty amount instead of being deprived or starving.

I'm also sick of exercising myself to death, like it's a punishment. I really just enjoy slow exercise (walking, swimming), so I'm liking what I've been reading here!

My biggest problem is always focusing on what's wrong, what I'm not doing right, what I should/could be doing, instead of celebrating the small victories. I know that if I want to change, that has to change. So I thought a journal would be a good way to stay motivated ... perhaps you all can keep nudging me back toward the positive if I start getting down on myself.

Today I had:
    B: Spinach/cucumber/flaxseed/fruit smoothie and a boiled egg
    L: Big-ass salad: spring mix, cabbage, bell pepper, carrot, cherry tomatoes, about 3 oz. chicken breast, avocado, oil dressing
    D: Turkey burger cooked in coconut oil, lettuce, tomato, avocado, baked sweet potato fries

I've been entering food into MyFitnessPal for the last few days, and I definitely could be eating more fat and protein and fewer carbs, but I feel pretty good so far. Just giving up grains and not eating chips every night is a HUGE transition for me. Even though I'm not counting calories, I was quite interested to see that MyFitnessPal says I've only been eating about 1200-1300 calories a day, which boggles my mind since I don't feel the least bit hungry. I'm at the point where I don't even think about eating anything after dinner even if I'm sitting and watching TV. Can this be real?

Anyway, glad to be here ... what a wealth of information! Any tips for newbies are appreciated. I am trying very hard to focus on progress, not perfection. Perfection is what got me fat in the first place. (Anyone else know what I mean?)

SeattleSlim

And Day 4 is under my belt. I'm already getting that usual antsy "I'm never going to be skinny!!!" mindset. I need to take Mark's advice and just enjoy the journey, focus on the successes and think long-term.

I need to quit weighing myself every day; it makes me psycho.

I'm enjoying my morning smoothies, but need to figure out how to reduce the carbs and add fat. I really don't know how to do this. I usually do spinach, cucumber, berries, just a wee bit of pineapple for sweetness, and flaxseed. This week I've been adding a small banana just to add bulk; otherwise, I'm left starving. I can't do Greek yogurt right now because I'm eliminating dairy to see if it helps my skin. Any ideas?

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Seattleslim, I cut out dairy to help my acne and it's really worked, though it took a good 3 or 4 weeks to become obvious and, after one experiment, more like 6 weeks to finally clear. So I'd suggest you stick with the no dairy if you can, until you see how it works for you. I'm currently eating between 70 and 80% of my calories as fat and less than 5% as carbs, but I've never been a huge fruit eater and I also find it easy to drop bread and potatoes having done a lot of low-carbing before.

I eat a lot of meat though and about 3 eggs a day currently with some of those yolk-only to boost fat over protein. I snack on cold fatty meat though and also coconut. As a lot of this is just me (my father can't chew very well) I tend to freeze a lot and cook in small batches I know I'll eat over the course of a couple of days and keep it in tubs in the fridge. Since I can't and don't want to eat a whole coconut on my own before it goes off, I've been taking out the meat in chunks and freezing it in bags, then taking out as much as I might eat in a few days before it goes off. I find it thaws really quickly and I can also chew it when frozen.

Also cooking a lot with coconut oil and just sometimes eating it off the spoon. Almond butter for snacking, straight off the spoon. Cold meats tend to be liver, belly pork and steak cut into strips that I know are about 5g or 10g each. And Meat, veg and eggs for dinner. Hope that might give you some ideas.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Seattleslim, I love your keep it positive approach, I do believe attitude makes the world of difference. Your food is looking tasty. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement, awok and annieh.

I'm doing well today, not having very many carbs. I figure this will be trial and error at first, in terms of how many carbs is too much for me. Eating more nuts for fat and am thinking of trying coconut milk in my smoothies.

On the negative side, I'm a bit disturbed after reading some of the threads on here. I came to PB to get off the dieting roller coaster, and was hoping to find a community of people who really want to get healthy, but I'm seeing lots of disordered eaters here. "I had a bad day today, so tomorrow I'm going to fast all day to make up for it" -- that's just toxic dieting thinking. I mean, how is that different from, say, Weight Watchers?

Rant over. Off for a walk in the sun.
    Last edited by SeattleSlim; 05-09-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo

Ugh. Day 6 and I'm feeling rough today. Tired and crabby, partly because I didn't eat enough yesterday, and partly because I have been working overtime for the past month and I'm just burned out.

I notice that when I try to limit carbs, I end up not eating enough because I'm not totally used to eating this way. So I think I should not worry about eating fruit and potatoes for right now while I'm getting used to eating this way in general. My perfectionism is getting to me, as usual ... I had a little slip and had a handful of peanut M&Ms last night, and a packet of oatmeal this morning, which of course didn't make me feel satisfied at all. Normally I would use this as an excuse to say "screw it" and go off-diet. But nope, that's not gonna happen. I have a salad and a turkey burger in my fridge for dinner, and then tomorrow it's shopping time.

I bought the Primal Blueprint book today and will look forward to reading it and learning more about how to make this work.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Six days down, well done. Have a great primal day and have fun shopping tomorrow. The more you have the right things available, the easier it is not to fall into non-primal temptation. Your slips weren't even that bad IMO, but after a while, those things will stop tempting you anyway.

paleoqueen is offline Junior Member
    I agree with annie, just try to have enough healthy food available. Clean your kitchen from food you don't want to eat (i made a huge dinner and invited friends) and if you are not living on your own - talk to your partner/flatmates that they support you. my close friends know about my plan and they are not offering me cake, cookies or anything.
    I am currently doing a whole30, means that i am very strict for the first 30 days. No dairy, grains, sugar, processed food at all (occasional fruit is allowed). It's not because i want to loose my weight very quickly, i want to manage the symptoms of PCOS. And if i see some progress i know that i am on the right track.

think positive, that's the right way!

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSlim View Post
    Ugh. Day 6 and I'm feeling rough today. Tired and crabby, partly because I didn't eat enough yesterday, and partly because I have been working overtime for the past month and I'm just burned out.

I notice that when I try to limit carbs, I end up not eating enough because I'm not totally used to eating this way. So I think I should not worry about eating fruit and potatoes for right now while I'm getting used to eating this way in general. My perfectionism is getting to me, as usual ... I had a little slip and had a handful of peanut M&Ms last night, and a packet of oatmeal this morning, which of course didn't make me feel satisfied at all. Normally I would use this as an excuse to say "screw it" and go off-diet. But nope, that's not gonna happen. I have a salad and a turkey burger in my fridge for dinner, and then tomorrow it's shopping time.

I bought the Primal Blueprint book today and will look forward to reading it and learning more about how to make this work.

Well done for not letting a slip derail you. I used to have that problem when low-carbing and it would usually be crisps, which would lead me to bsicuits and cakes and ... Now my mindset has changed. After reading a lot of books that are more focused on the health benefits of eating right, rather than just losing weight, I find I'm no longer tempted. When I was eating low carb to lose weight, it was very much about the weight loss and if I slipped, well I knew what worked ,so I could start again 'tomorrow'. It was only about losing weight and a few days longer to reach my goal wasn't a huge issue.

Now, I really don't want to eat that stuff because I have a better idea of the cumulative damage it can do. Also, being on the lower carb side of things I'm cautious about sabotaging my body's fat-burning abilities. These things make it far more for me than just a choice about nice things to eat and somehow that makes it easier.

As for disordered eating, I think we all have habits it's hard to lose when it comes to years of struggling with food, even if we know it's the long-term strategy that counts.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    You might want to keeps some cooked meat or boiled eggs on hand for times when you realize you haven't eaten enough and are going off-track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast