Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is fructose bad for brain inflammation? page 4

Omni is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Derpamix;1183916]Sigh. monosaccharides, like fructose, are converted to entry points of glycolysis through ingesting the substance. [QUOTE]

Fructose can enter at the Fructose 6 point:
    http://www.biocarta.com/pathfiles/feederpathway.asp

But,
    Still don't know what you're trying to say, how does that differ to any sugar ingested or to endogenously created glucose through gluconeogenesis?

Same starting point, same end products.

None of this means eating an apple, fructose will go straight to your brain and prevent convulsions.
    Last edited by Omni; 05-07-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post

Fructose can enter at the Fructose 6 point:
    BioCarta - Charting Pathways of Life

But,
    Still don't know what you're trying to say, how does that differ to any sugar ingested or to endogenously created glucose through gluconeogenesis?

Same starting point, same end products.

None of this means eating an apple, fructose will go straight to your brain and prevent convulsions.
    That works both ways, no? The topic is "is fructose bad for brain inflammation", no, no it is not.

Did you read the study?

Because fructose-1,6-bisphosphate (F1,6BP) shifts the metabolism of glucose from glycolysis to the pentose phosphate pathway, it was hypothesized to have anticonvulsant activity.
    It's different in that the only way around specific glucose malfunctioning pathways is via fructose or ketones, as stated in my original post, I think. Been a long time since then.

As for gluconeogenesis

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mathews/ch16/fi16p6.htm
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-07-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

You're drawing conclusions that aren't available in the study quoted.
    Fructose was not studied,
    By injecting an intemediary into the relevant tissue simply shifts the equilibrium of the process and this may well have an anti convulsive effect and the elimination of the first 3 steps may be a clue as to the problem, but in no way does it suggest fructose is the answer and that fructose prevents convulsions.

If they thought this was the case the study would be simple feed one group of rats glucose and feed the others fructose see which ones have convulsions.

To OP, a bit of sugar in your kefir is no problems, enjoy it.
    Last edited by Omni; 05-08-2013 at 12:09 AM.

You're drawing conclusions that aren't available in the study quoted.
    Fructose was not studied,
    By injecting an intemediary into the relevant tissue simply shifts the equilibrium of the process and this may well have an anti convulsive effect and the elimination of the first 3 steps may be a clue as to the problem, but in no way does it suggest fructose is the answer and that fructose prevents convulsions.

If they thought this was the case the study would be simple feed one group of rats glucose and feed the others fructose see which ones have convulsions.

To OP, a bit of sugar in your kefir is no problems, enjoy it.
    They wanted to stimulate the pentose phosphate pathway which has already been extensively studied, this is what the experiment was about.

And, it sort of does suggest that? It's absolutely not fool proof, but nothing is.

I'm hypothesizing.

Anyway, thanks for making this topic more interesting, but I'm tired as hell, so I'm going to sleep. Night, Omni.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There is a big difference between slurping down a diet high in HFCS and having an occasional kefir.
    That @paleobird. I have a lot of kefir, basically drinking it in place of water during the day. Especially the ginger ale and raspberry kefir are so very good.

Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.
    Thanks, I slept very well.

I would be more concerned about the questionable effects of consuming lots of probiotics than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Thanks, I slept very well.

I would be more concerned about the questionable effects of consuming lots of probiotics than anything else.
    Well, I see what you mean, having thought the same thing re probiotics. BUT I am clockwork regular and have been feeling great and don't feel that the probiotics are too much, so far at least. I sat this a.m. and read through most of the discussions in this thread. Clearly others like you know way more than I, but I will keep reading. How much IS too much re probiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Well, I see what you mean, having thought the same thing re probiotics. BUT I am clockwork regular and have been feeling great and don't feel that the probiotics are too much, so far at least. I sat this a.m. and read through most of the discussions in this thread. Clearly others like you know way more than I, but I will keep reading. How much IS too much re probiotics?
    Fermented foods and probiotics increase lactic acid, which your body already produces enough of as a stress reaction, and too much can cause a burden on the liver. In an inflamed digestive tract, introducing foreign bacteria could make things worse. Pay attention for signs of bloating, or stomach discomfort. If you feel great, it's probably OK for now.

Is it just the taste you like re: kefir, or are you eating it for the "benefits"?

Is it just the taste you like re: kefir, or are you eating it for the "benefits"?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply. I like it for the cold pop-like fizziness, combined with the fact that it is made of a few natural ingredients (use only organic sugar, berries from our land, and ginger at times, and no HFCS, chemicals, dyes, etc.) and that it has the probiotic benefits. I first came across it when I was looking for something that could replace my occasional craving for carbonation. I don't drink pop of any kind and did get carbonated water once in a while, and kefir is a great alternative to buying the water.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast