Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting to fewer meals per day- any tips? page

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member

Adjusting to fewer meals per day- any tips?

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to primal and i'm the classic hypoglycemic, 6 mini meals per day person. I have trouble going more than 2-3 hours without eating. I want to switch to fewer meals per day (3 is realistic for now), but i'm obviously still running on sugar because I crash If I go too long (even if my last meal was big).

Does anyone have tips on how to transition? Should I let myself snack or should I go cold turkey to 3 meals and let my blood sugar drop in between until it adjusts to the new diet? Anyone go through this before?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Where do you stand on daily calories and macros? Are you trying to lose weight?

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Where do you stand on daily calories and macros? Are you trying to lose weight?
    Yes, trying to lose weight. I have hypothyroid also. I maintain on 2100-2000 cal (which is what i'm eating for now while I adjust to primal eating). I have fat at 100 +g, protein ~130-140g, and carbs 150ish

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat with your meals. For me, I particularly had to have a fatty fried breakfast to not get hungry during the day.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    I too am slowly transitioning to this. I find that eating larger meals with a higher fat content really helps. I keep making enough for leftovers then end up eating it all. Maybe start with 3 major meals and 1 snack. That seems to be a good balance for me. Also since I am so used to frequent snacking I try and stop myself and ask if I am really hungry. I make myself eat a hard boiled egg if I am. Helps curb carb cravings.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    I too am slowly transitioning to this. I find that eating larger meals with a higher fat content really helps. I keep making enough for leftovers then end up eating it all. Maybe start with 3 major meals and 1 snack. That seems to be a good balance for me. Also since I am so used to frequent snacking I try and stop myself and ask if I am really hungry. I make myself eat a hard boiled egg if I am. Helps curb carb cravings.
    What I was going to suggest also. Make your meals substantial enough so as not to need to eat again for several hours.

Eggs for breakfast seem to sustain me the best, then either dinner leftovers or a big salad including chicken or ham at lunch.

Then depending on if dinner is early or late, fit in a snack for afternoon tea or supper (not both).

I suggest lowering carbs a bit more if trying to lose weight.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure your problem is hypoglycemia? Are you measuring blood sugar? I thought I needed to eat more often, but as I pushed myself, I found the issue was psychological, rather than physical. It can be hard to distinguish if you are accustomed to years of snacking. Even now that I am down to mostly just 3 meals a day and pushing breakfast to 10am or later, I sometimes feel very hungry when I am planning to wait, and yet nothing bad happens if I just push on through. I find too that choosing not to eat is easier if I am physically busy. Shopping and house/yard work are very helpful. My job is the worst, because it's mostly mental busyness. Sometimes I indulge my hunger and sometimes not. It's been a slow, but not too painful process. I think imagining that you "need" to eat is probably the least helpful thing you can do.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    nothing bad happens if I just push on through. I find too that choosing not to eat is easier if I am physically busy.
    too true.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    Physical activity helps keep hunger at bay.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I also say push through, maybe replace your snack time with doing something else, but if you are genuinely feeling hungry, first try a glass of water and then if you still feel you need something because you didn't eat enough protein/fat with your meal, then I found a spoon of coconut oil or coconut manna did the trick to just keep my nicely going until the next meal.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast