Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting to fewer meals per day- any tips? page 2

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks, everyone! It's not that i'm hungry between meals necessarily, it's just low blood sugar that can only really be reversed with food. I'm thinking that my body just needs to adjust and the low blood sugar will correct itself and hopefully go away for good!!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm hypothyroid (Hashi's) and used to have severe hypoglycemic symptoms when I ate CW. I had to eat often, and when I crashed I had to eat NOW. I would get the shakes and brain fog so severe I couldn't function unless I ate immediately. When I switched to primal, that went away. I think avoiding all the carbs in CW was the key, but not sure. Just know that I can eat the standard 3 meals a day now and I'm fine. I even go 2 meals on many days and am fine.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    If possible, sleep in. Eat dinner at 6 or 7, go to bed at 11, sleep in until "lunch time" it's a good way to kill the extra meals (breakfast and brunch).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I'm hypothyroid (Hashi's) and used to have severe hypoglycemic symptoms when I ate CW. I had to eat often, and when I crashed I had to eat NOW. I would get the shakes and brain fog so severe I couldn't function unless I ate immediately. When I switched to primal, that went away. I think avoiding all the carbs in CW was the key, but not sure. Just know that I can eat the standard 3 meals a day now and I'm fine. I even go 2 meals on many days and am fine.
    Sounds like me! How long did it take you to adjust/did you just ride out the hypoglycemic symptoms while you adjusted? Did the switch to fewer meals accelerate weight loss? Thanks for the input!

I believe with 150g of carbs a day you are pushing it a little if you want to feel full so i would recommend having 100g or 120g of carbs a day and eat more fat. if anything fat deffinately makes you feel full and it releases energy throughout the hours slowly and surely making it much more suitable if your trying to eat less often.

Also once you start trying to loose weight I recommend reining those carbs to bout 80g and to 50g twice a week.
    I feel so isolated as every day I search for others like me, I havn't found them yet but I will one day...

<3 I have conquered Bulimia, Depression and Anorexia with Paleo! <3

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    mark said something in his blog pages along the lines of if you are hungry for carbs ie craving you're not really hungry. If you are a type 1 diabetic and you are hypo by your meter readings then you do need to eat. If you are a type 2 or non diabetic you really would benefit from testing when you are like that and see what's really going on. In the UK all pharmacies will do an on the spot test for you free.
    I'm eating between 30- 80 carbs a day currently, all of which comes from veg and berries. my low blood sugar emergency snack is deli meat including bacon or berries now but i do keep dextrose gel in my bag and car for a hypo emergency which can happen with my type of diabetes.
    A lot of type 2 diabetics and non diabetics don't seem to be aware that a sign of high blood sugar is pronounced hunger whereas a real hypo symptom is frequently no appetite/nausea but a rumbling tummy.

AMC
    So i'm about 4 days into less frequent eating and i feel like my blood sugar is constantly low. I used to eat 6-7 mini meals and now i'm trying to get down to 3, so i'm eating 4 at the moment. Do you think my body will adjust or am I just causing more harm than good by letting my blood sugar low so often? Something tells me I should just stick with it but I don't want to do anything stupid!

Note* i'm not diabetic, just hypoglycemic. I'm not passing out, just feel very low energy, hungry even though i'm eating huge primal meals, and dizzy/lethargic/weak

this is probably just the changeover period. Your body (like mine) has got used to being fed when it rang its bell- just like Pavlov's dogs and it takes time to unlearn it. Our bell rings when the easy to access carb energy runs out and if we eat at that point it just carries on the cycle so the body never uses its fat as energy which is what fat is for. Our bodies can do this - they do it all night but mines needed pushing into it during the day.
    Ive got to the point now where my bells stopped ringing and i feel so much better for being ____ instead of `..`._.

luckylegs is offline Junior Member
    I started off with 3 meals and a couple of snacks because that was what I was doing before. As my diet altered over a few weeks I found I didn't want the snacks and gradually I've changed to only two meals a day! I have a good breakfast and don't really want anything then til the evening. If I decide I 'should' eat lunch then I don't enjoy my dinner.

I should have mentioned I keep emergency cooked bacon in the icebox at work. it sounds weird but if I absolutely have to snack I zap it in the microwave. I have also discovered than bacicle -frozen crispy bacon is brilliant when its hot weather but freeze each piece next to each other not on top ,you can snap one off then- i cant get my teeth through a pile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast