Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post menopausal body fat page

seaweed is online now Senior Member

Post menopausal body fat

Primal Fuel
    I am in my late 40s but not menopausal yet so this interests me. especially since my only real bit of fat is around my belly. I found this whilst cruising the net

Study explains post-menopause belly fat

this bit in particular. if we know why, what can we potentially do about it?

Now, the new study, co-authored by the Mayo Clinic, has determined why: Proteins, revved up by the estrogen drop, cause fat cells to store more fat. And it gets worse. These cellular changes also slow down fat burning by the body

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    thats an interesting article Seas - so I conclude that there is no hope left for Gwamma !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    My thinking is that with the way our insulin response (and food intake) has changed with PB, this may not be much of a concern. I don't have any scientific data on this. I'm hoping its nothing to be concerned with (I'm 49, 50 this year and not post menopausal).

no you dont give up LOL you fight it to the death. i do wonder how much weight on average men put on over those years and whether some of it relates to giving up to a certain extent.

My thinking is that with the way our insulin response (and food intake) has changed with PB, this may not be much of a concern. I don't have any scientific data on this. I'm hoping its nothing to be concerned with (I'm 49, 50 this year and not post menopausal).
    maybe we will still have the predisposed issue of our fat going to those areas. i have definitely noticed my fat, even tho there isnt really any more of it, is distrubuted differently as i have gone thru my 40s.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I was never this lean before menopause. I have been post-menopausal for at least 8 years. I now weigh 57 pounds less than I did at this time last year and 72 pounds less than I did in 2009. They don't have the whole picture here.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    eKatherine - you are looking like one hot lady - very impressed with your avatar...........
    Praps you could PM me your strategies......................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

i definitely think they dont have the whole picture either. but i was more wondering what part of the picture they have. as a matter of interest, since you have obviously lost a lot of weight recently, where has most of it come off? you look incredible in your avatar.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I am returning to the shape I would have been when I was younger if I had been fit.

I first started to lose weight in 2009, when I couldn't afford to replace my car and started walking so I would be able to get places around this town and the next that I had to get to.

I had not been eating breakfast for years, as I realized I could wait until lunch without much discomfort and then eat 2 more substantial meals. And about that time I stopped eating past 6 pm because I was getting the most godawful heartburn from the snacking I had been doing in the evening.

I had given up gluten in 2003 or so when I realized I was intolerant.

I had never heard of intermittent fasting. But that's what I did.

My weight loss slowed down and stopped after about 9 months, and gradually I started to put weight back on as I eased up on my eating habits. I put back on about 15 pounds before I started to do research on what worked, on the assumption that it sure wasn't "diets".

I came across a book called "The Anderson Method" by William Anderson, a psychotherapist who practices Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with his clients. The fact is that it is not natural to be surrounded by ready-to-eat food. It is not natural to eat constantly. It is not natural to be afraid of hunger and starvation as we are as a culture. It is not natural to be obsessed with food.

People who are naturally thin do basically none of these things. They eat when they are hungry. They eat what they crave. And they stop when they are no longer hungry.

People who were formerly fat but have become thin and stayed that way need to cultivate that same relationship with hunger and with food. They need to learn their triggers and develop strategies to deal with them productively. As you do, it becomes easier.

Of course, there is a period of adjustment where you learn what it is you are eating (through tracking) and figure out how to learn proper portion sizes, how to eat enough to keep yourself from becoming famished but not so much that your weight loss stalls.

The program doesn't prescribe exercise. It doesn't prescribe a specific diet. Obsessive exercise and arbitrary restrictions work against developing sensible eating habits.

And on one level, the book is an ad for his weight loss program, which he certifies other psychologists etc to use.

So when I started losing weight again I started eating very slowly, eating small portions on small dishes. I started walking more. When I started exercising more, I ended up crashing, because it turns out I was getting barely enough protein to support a sedentary person. I had a couple of protein binges and figured I had a protein deficiency.

I ended up reading a lot of health and paleo blogs and ended up here. I've tried a lot of things. Intermittent fasting is a big one. Right now I'm on the steak-and-eggs challenge. I'm still losing weight.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    ITA that we need to have a decent relationship with food and hunger. how much protein do you think you should be eating? i can never get a definitive reply anywhere. i could easily live off steak and eggs but i get really wired after a few weeks of almost zero carbs which is counter productive to anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast