Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post menopausal body fat page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sometimes I wonder if for older women some of the belly pooch is fibroids. I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit in my uterine wall. I didn't even realize it until the doctor pointed it out to me and then I could actually feel it pressing on my abdomen. Apparently really super big fibroids aren't always symptomatic so women can have them and not notice. I had a smaller one inside my uterus that was causing me huge problems. I got the whole shebang removed. My grapefruit wasn't big enough to make my belly stick out, but bigger ones might do that for other women.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    All very interesting. Perhaps getting closer to menopause is causing my body to "redistribute". I've really noticed this lately. I haven't decided if its because I've increased my carbs a little because of running more (getting ready for a half marathon on June 1), or if its just age/menopause/hormonal. I have gained weight, but I've also been lifting heavier too. But I can feel that my abdominal area is less lean than even six weeks ago.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My belly pooch is still surface fat. It is getting smaller and less loose, though the stretch marks give the skin a lacy look.

No doubt it is the natural tendency during menopause is to decrease fat on hips and increase around the waist. My waistline used to be 10" smaller than my hips. Now it is more like 9" smaller. But being powerless to change that would assume all things are equal, which they never all. Getting more exercise of the right kind, eating enough protein and the rest of the right diet is probably something few of us did when we were younger. I expect my hips will never again be 10" larger than my hips. But I will get my waist down to where it was before. I think that's what matters.

I always thought my butt was too big anyway.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Reduce all PUFAs as much as possible and use progesterone. Read Ray Peat for more info. I've been PUFA restricted about a year and it makes a major difference.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i avoid nuts, chicken and pork. never eat vege oils other than the odd bit of EVO.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    ^^It's easy to overeat eggs which contain a lot of omega 6s; plus you have a lot of stored PUFAs in your tissues probably. Have you had your thyroid tested? A TSH over 1 is hypothyroid.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    no i havent had anything tested and that is interesting about eggs. i only get free range ones and i only usually have 2 a day. our beef and lamb is grass fed and i eat alot of wild venison and seafood.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    ^^It's easy to overeat eggs which contain a lot of omega 6s; plus you have a lot of stored PUFAs in your tissues probably. Have you had your thyroid tested? A TSH over 1 is hypothyroid.
    A TSH of over 1 does NOT mean someone is hypothyroid. Please stop giving inaccurate, as well as incomplete information, concerning thyroid health.

janie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A recent lab test listed normal TSH as 0.45 to 4.5, not 1.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123