Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post menopausal body fat page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think if I was sedentary I would probably need 60 grams a day. I personally think I need more than most people. I've been all over the place. I'm not sure whether there is an advantage to eating excess protein. But if I drop down below 70-80 grams (given my present activity level) I start to crave animal products like mad.

I think the problem with protein demand is that every person is different, not only in your maintenance needs, but in how your body responds to activity. So some people have a big jump in their requirements if they are more active. If they don't eat it, they may feel tired and recover poorly.

I experienced this with my long walks. Early in the summer I would have maybe one or two good walks a week, and the rest were tired and/or sore. After upping my protein, I had lots more energy and was never sore or tired from walking.

When you do resistance exercise, your body will try to grow more muscle. How much and how fast is again, a very individual thing.

So when you see a chart that suggests a broad range, it's really the best they can do given what limited research has been done and the individual variation that is found.

If you find you crave meat and other protein food, just go for it. Don't eat lots of exceptionally fatty meat or cheese. Don't blame yourself for being an emotional eater if that happens.

One day I must have eaten almost 3000 calories, most of them meat. I lost half a pound from the day before.

The steak and eggs challenge is 4 weeks long. It involves 6 days of steak, eggs, and butter and 1 day of low fat high carb food. I was eating too much meat/calories by having 2 steaks a day. I figure I was eating about 2500 calories a day last week. I didn't gain weight. On my off day this past Sunday I ate seafood, vegetables, and fruit. I probably had almost a week's intake of vegetables and fruit.

I have cut back the steak and eggs to a more comfortable intake level, from 1500-1800 calories.

It's not supposed to be a long-term sustainable diet. It's a crazy 70s bodybuilder diet. If I decided to continue after the month, I would probably take a week off and eat anything but steak and eggs.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I think the idea thou Seas - is to have a carb refeed every week, or have a few carbs daily. But its the old what works for one doesn't always work for another.
    But thanx for that katherine - I hope you are really proud of where you are at !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    yes i am more mindful that i dont ever want to put myself into that mental state by accident again as i do have to keep it together and look after the kids. it is a slow creep up and i think it is usually about 2 weeks before it all goes to custard which is annoying as i actually much prefer the carnivorous way of eating. which is what i meant when i said i could live off steak and eggs. it would not be a fad diet i had issues sticking to. not like nothing but potatoes for example. or nothing but celery and oranges i have seen someone eating. i do suspect i need more protein. i struggle on 55ishg a day. but on 90-100g, i feel overdone. so somewhere in the middle maybe. i exercise a lot too. and def katherine, you should be way proud of where you are at.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I came across a book called "The Anderson Method" by William Anderson, a psychotherapist who practices Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with his clients. The fact is that it is not natural to be surrounded by ready-to-eat food. It is not natural to eat constantly. It is not natural to be afraid of hunger and starvation as we are as a culture. It is not natural to be obsessed with food.
    It sounds crazy, but this book changed my life, maybe saved my life. Though it's not a primal strategy, it really primed me for primal. I will probably end up weighing close to what I did when I graduated from high school (115 lbs) after being fat almost my whole adult life. I'm no longer impressed by anything I read about women and fat/weight.

eKatherine, you have motivated me to pay more attention to the amount of protein I'm getting.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    It sounds crazy, but this book changed my life, maybe saved my life. Though it's not a primal strategy, it really primed me for primal. I will probably end up weighing close to what I did when I graduated from high school (115 lbs) after being fat almost my whole adult life. I'm no longer impressed by anything I read about women and fat/weight.

eKatherine, you have motivated me to pay more attention to the amount of protein I'm getting.
    I feel the same way. This book is the thing that got me started losing weight. It was like a switch flipping in my brain.

Being on diet sites and this site I have tried many things to see if they work. I am able to try these things because I am in control. If they fail, I am still in control. It feels hard to describe to someone who has not had that experience.

On some level it feels like the control that an anorexic experiences, but without the obsession with reaching an unhealthy weight.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-08-2013 at 05:07 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere that older women need more protein. I'm not post-menopausal but protein seemed to be the missing link for me as far as feeling and performing my best, not to mention looking better. I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.

I've gotten 3 unsolicited comments recently about my body composition and looking fit. I'm feeling really healthy lately, that level beyond feeing fine that some people describe. So basically upping the protein is working well for me.

I try to make sure every meal has a generous portion of meat. I'm not doing any kind of extreme thing like steak and eggs. Just basic primal blueprint stuff but more protein than Mark recommends and I make it a priority to get in the super nutrient rich stuff like liver or leafy greens when I can.

I don't look as buff as seaweed or eKatherine but I look more buff than I ever have in my whole life. I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
    SB - I so totally agree with this. I love my DH to bits, but he along with a couple of friends and a daughter - just need to pull their fingers out !!!!!!! I have become less tolerant over this last year.................. it is sad that they continue to grumble and mumble about x y and z - and some days I really DGAD !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I read somewhere that older women need more protein. I'm not post-menopausal but protein seemed to be the missing link for me as far as feeling and performing my best, not to mention looking better. I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.
    I can totally relate to this.

I don't look as buff as seaweed or eKatherine but I look more buff than I ever have in my whole life.
    Almost time for a new photo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.
    same here. and little nutrient deficiencies add up over time and you end up like the frog in the pot.

I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
    with you here, hence one of the many reasons he is the exhubby.

Almost time for a new photo
    i reckon!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am in menopause and I have annoying belly fat, but I'm in the normal weight range. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid which could be the reason why I haven't lost the belly fat even though I've been primal for 3 yrs. Because I'm in the normal weight range my doctor doesn't think the weight is an issue, and when I've brought it up with close friends (which I rarely do because they are all overweight and it feels petty to talk about the few extra pounds I have) they say isn't that normal for women our age? I think, common but not necessarily normal. I'm really hoping the thyroid meds help with the weight and help me to have more energy to work out because lately I find myself doing less and less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast