Thread: Hyperthyroid and weight gain? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Hyperthyroid and weight gain?

I've been feeling off lately and recently had some bloodwork ran. I just knew it was going to come back as hypothyroid. But imagine my shock....HYPERthyroid. I don't know how this can be when I can't lose weight to save my soul.

My TSH was .255 and my Free T4 was 1.26 but that was all they tested as far as the thyroid goes. :/

Any thoughts? What is treatment for something like this? You obviously can't take Armour or anything right?

Thanks!

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    This happened to me. Have been overweight my whole life imagine my shock to learn I was hyperthyroid as well. Turns out I have an autoimmune disorder called graves disease .you have to go to an endocrinologist and make sure that they're testing not only your TSH ,also free T-3's and free T4. you also want to have them run antibodies for Graves' disease or Hashimoto's disease. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't recommended putting you on anti-thyroid medication ,typically they will put you on methimazole or PTU. If you're hyperthyroid is caused by an autoimmune disorder such as Graves' disease, being on antityroid medication short-term could put the disease into remission. I was on the anti-thyroid meds for almost a year and my graves went into remission and that lasted about 10 months. But inevitably it flared back up again. At this point for me personally my doctor wanted me to undergo radioactive iodine or have a thyroidectomy. This is for several factors one being that I am planning on having another baby so they felt it is safer for you to be. Hyper thyroid and on thyroid medication to manage the disease better throughout my pregnancy.

So I had a thyroidectomy four months ago.... All this happened prior to me finding the primal lifestyle. Ask me now what I would do differently had I been armed with the right information and it would be completely different. If I was you the first thing I would do is find a good endocrinologist, have them run the test that you need To see whether this is due to autoimmune disease. Then from there based on that information if it does turn out that you have Graves' disease go on the anti-thyroid medication . If you have a good doctor they will have you run labs every 4 to 6 weeks to monitor your blood work. At this point I would follow an autoimmune protocol of primal/Paleo and I would also take care to avoid what is known as Goitrogens /cruciferous vegetables. Perhaps Being on the meds and following this diet you will find that you can get into remission. Whatever the case maybe it's not something to take lightly hyperthyroidism is way more dangerous than hypothyroidism you could have a heart attack Or suffer a thyroid storm and go into a coma, so not to scare you but definitely get yourself to an endocrinologist.
    Last edited by vlo1125; 05-07-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I've been feeling off lately and recently had some bloodwork ran. I just knew it was going to come back as hypothyroid. But imagine my shock....HYPERthyroid. I don't know how this can be when I can't lose weight to save my soul.

My TSH was .255 and my Free T4 was 1.26 but that was all they tested as far as the thyroid goes. :/

Any thoughts? What is treatment for something like this? You obviously can't take Armour or anything right?

Thanks!
    Do you have the lab's reference range for the freeT4? Using the reference range for my lab (.69-1.51) would put your 1.26 within the normal range and not hyPER, in regards to actual thyroid hormone(FT4).

My TSH is always in the hyPER range. I need it there to get actual thyroid hormones freeT4 and free T3 optimized.

Again using my lab ranges, with your results I would want freeT3 tested to see if that is out of range high-- causing your TSH to be in the hyPER range.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post

My TSH is always in the hyPER range. I need it there to get actual thyroid hormones freeT4 and free T3 optimized.

Again using my lab ranges, with your results I would want freeT3 tested to see if that is out of range high-- causing your TSH to be in the hyPER range.
    I agree with marcadav on this. The last time my TSH was tested it was 0.018, lab ranges .45-4.5. My free t4 was 1.18, lab ranges 0.82-1.77. BUT, my free t3 was only 2.5, lab ranges 2.0-4.0. I felt extremely hypo at that.

Have your free t3 tested also. It would be good to find a doctor that looks at the whole picture even including reverse t3. I'm currently on Naturethroid which is like Armour. Even after 6 months of being on NDT I'm still having to tweak my dosages to get to the right levels and not feel hypo.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    This happened to me. Have been overweight my whole life imagine my shock to learn I was hyperthyroid as well. Turns out I have an autoimmune disorder called graves disease .you have to go to an endocrinologist and make sure that they're testing not only your TSH ,also free T-3's and free T4. you also want to have them run antibodies for Graves' disease or Hashimoto's disease. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't recommended putting you on anti-thyroid medication ,typically they will put you on methimazole or PTU. If you're hyperthyroid is caused by an autoimmune disorder such as Graves' disease, being on antityroid medication short-term could put the disease into remission. I was on the anti-thyroid meds for almost a year and my graves went into remission and that lasted about 10 months. But inevitably it flared back up again. At this point for me personally my doctor wanted me to undergo radioactive iodine or have a thyroidectomy. This is for several factors one being that I am planning on having another baby so they felt it is safer for you to be. Hyper thyroid and on thyroid medication to manage the disease better throughout my pregnancy.

So I had a thyroidectomy four months ago.... All this happened prior to me finding the primal lifestyle. Ask me now what I would do differently had I been armed with the right information and it would be completely different. If I was you the first thing I would do is find a good endocrinologist, have them run the test that you need To see whether this is due to autoimmune disease. Then from there based on that information if it does turn out that you have Graves' disease go on the anti-thyroid medication . If you have a good doctor they will have you run labs every 4 to 6 weeks to monitor your blood work. At this point I would follow an autoimmune protocol of primal/Paleo and I would also take care to avoid what is known as Goitrogens /cruciferous vegetables. Perhaps Being on the meds and following this diet you will find that you can get into remission. Whatever the case maybe it's not something to take lightly hyperthyroidism is way more dangerous than hypothyroidism you could have a heart attack Or suffer a thyroid storm and go into a coma, so not to scare you but definitely get yourself to an endocrinologist.

Thank you for your response! I definitely want to try an autoimmune protocol of paleo before having anything removed or any radioactive iodine, etc.

The reason I'm not on any meds is that I just found out yesterday. When I had everything tested in January my TSH was around 3 and now as of yesterday it is .255! What a leap huh?

It's so confusing, though, because I have symptoms of hypo and hyper thyroid. And everyone says something different in regards to your numbers. I wish they had done a T3, but the obgyn said this would be enough...HAH! I'm definitely getting an appt with an endo asap for the other tests that need to be done. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I agree with marcadav on this. The last time my TSH was tested it was 0.018, lab ranges .45-4.5. My free t4 was 1.18, lab ranges 0.82-1.77. BUT, my free t3 was only 2.5, lab ranges 2.0-4.0. I felt extremely hypo at that.

Have your free t3 tested also. It would be good to find a doctor that looks at the whole picture even including reverse t3. I'm currently on Naturethroid which is like Armour. Even after 6 months of being on NDT I'm still having to tweak my dosages to get to the right levels and not feel hypo.

Hope this helps!

So you're hypo even with a hyper TSH? How does that work exactly? Thanks!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with others, you just don't have the needed information. You need your free T3 and T4 reverse and antibodies to get a good picture. My TSH was taken recently at 0.02 a tech freaked, but that is because I am taking T3 only which suppresses the TSH. I am still somewhat hypo.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    So you're hypo even with a hyper TSH? How does that work exactly? Thanks!
    TSH is a pituitary hormone. It signals the thyroid to produce hormones. There are many reason why the brain can be "happy"- good TSH- when the body isn't making or using actual thyroid hormones effectively or efficiently.

One way TSH can be fine or even low is when on birth control pills or HRT. Those things can bind thyroid hormones making a large amount unusable by the body. This can be seen with good total T4 and Total T3 with free T4 and free T3 being lower.

Total T4 and T3 is the measure of all those hormones-bound and unbound. Free T4 and T3 measures the unbound, usable hormones.

If someone is taking meds containing T3-- Armour, Naturethroid, Cytomel-- those meds tend to drive TSH down.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    If you're truly hyperhtyroid then it IS possible, as the increased hunger that comes with hyper, and also the tiredness from being 'on' all the time, CAN lead you to overeat.

But without checking your t3 and rt3 it is impossible to know if you are truly hyperthyroid. It could be that you have low t3 and massively high rt3, in which case your t4 and tsh mean nothing, and you'd be hypo.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My partner has Graves Hyper, at diagnosis whe had no TSH, FT4 at 3x max range, FT3 at 9x max range and Receptor AB's off the chart, in year 7 now and she's nearly fixed, all results normal and weaning off the meds.

You can't diagnose anything with just TSH & FT4, you need all the tests.

Hyper and Hypo both have the full spectrum of symptoms, there are Hypers who gain weight and Hypo's who lose weight and besides much like the cholesterol story, the manifestation of thyroid disease is only and indication of underlying nutrient deficiencies.

I have seen studies on anti oxidant, carnitine and nutrient supplementation which controlled outward symptoms even though thyroid hormones remained elevated, this suggests that many of the issues with thyroid disease are not related to actual hormone levels but nutrient deficiencies.

So get all the tests done find where you are lacking, try to correct these and eat a nutrient dense diet, to confirm Graves you must have elevated antibodies present in your blood.