Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, you actually have to allocate time to this... page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Yes, you actually have to allocate time to this...

Shop Now
    I notice a lot of threads about people not wanting to spend time cooking.

What percentage of time do you think paleolithic man spent on food per day? Perhaps 20-40% of waking hours spent hunting, gathering, preparing, eating?

Today almost everything is done for you, the food is all waiting just for you in the grocery store, and in many cases they will deliver those groceries to you. So if you spend 1-2hrs cooking that's only 6-12% of your day. It only takes one trip to the grocery per week, because we have an invention called the refrigerator, so add 1hr per week.

If you can't even do that maybe rearrange your priorities!

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I'll do what I want to do. Thanks.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I'm busy as F%*K. But I take the time to cook (it's not much, especially if you make a bunch of food and then tupperware it. Simple). I figure what's more important than my health? If that goes then I'll be way less busy making money.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do cook the vast majority of meals my family eats (with a full time job), but in the other posters' defense, paleolithic man didn't have to spend time working to make a paycheck to pay for his rent, electricity, vehicle and the ability to purchase things like refrigerators and stoves.

Having said that, I do feel like people spend way more time and energy working and commuting than absolutely necessary when they could be just as happy with fewer things and more free time.

Just my take on it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so. It takes no longer to prepare simple meals than to open a series of boxes, dump them on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven to heat. Or time spent driving to a burger joint and waiting in line indoors or at the drive-through. Or ordering out and waiting for the food to arrive. And it takes a lot more time to go to a real restaurant and sit through a meal.

It's just a matter of priorities, what you're willing to invest your time in vs what you are not.

Some people take pride in the fact that they don't or won't cook. It's definitely a first world problem.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Maybe some people don't like cooking. Shrug. Has no effect on me either way. Some people just don't enjoy cooking. Yes, frying a couple of eggs is easy, but making a recipe with lots of prep and multiple ingredients is not within some people's comfort zones or interests.

We also have to spend more time walking and exercising and going back and forth to gyms and work and whatnot. Being primal can take up a lot of time.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    If you can't even do that maybe rearrange your priorities!
    What business is it of yours what somebody else's priorities, and how he chooses to spend his time, are? Who cares?

I choose to spend more time than most sourcing recipes, buying quality food and cooking for myself and my mister. But my lifestyle affords me the time to do this, and it's something I enjoy. If my circumstances were different, I would adjust accordingly.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I think one ideally has time to prep and cook their own food, but that is not always the case. Time, money, and location are all factors. I am fortunate enough that I can buy and cook my own food, including having enough time to make lunches and relax on the weekends. Not everyone has that kind of luxury.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. What you said is rather patronizing. I'm lucky enough to be as to have time to prepare and cook for myself and my family, but others aren't so lucky. Kids, work, after-school activities, errands, particularly living in a busy metropolitan area, can all significantly cut down on your time.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's just a matter of priorities, what you're willing to invest your time in vs what you are not.
    Yeah, that is what makes it weird.

Both husband and wife work, they just eat whatever is fastest/cheapest, then they spend all that money they made on --> doctors to fix all the ADD/obesity/diabeties/cancer caused by overwork and improper nutrition! Makes perfect sense (scarcasm).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast