Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Gaining weight - Help! page

etsmom is offline Member

Newbie Gaining weight - Help!

So, I have been lurking here for months and have been attempting to apply the Primal Blueprint way of life to my family's life. So far, things have been going well. The kids are thriving, hubby is going strong, and I am feeling better and not tired at all anymore. Now, the problem...I am gaining weight! I see others are too, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I was veg before, basically because I wont put anyting in my mouth that is not pastured and organic. So, I was def leaner before when i was eating a diet of veggies, cheese, some grains, and tubers and pulses. Now, we eat pastured/organic meats/fish, organic veggies, and little cheese/nuts/fruits. I am 4'10" and used ot be about 95 lbs and in a size zero. Now, I am about 99 - 100 lbs, in a size 3 (I wear juniors pants because women pats are just not made for small women). Anyway, I digress...

Now...size 3. All my clothes are 0 and now I cannot wear any of them. The cottage cheese looking fat on my thighs has smoothed out a bit - not sure if it is my new love for squats or what, but it looks better than it did on my veg alone diet. I do low impact pilates or weights every morning, but nothing too terribly strenuous. Just enough to keep me toned (though it is currently not working) and my heart rate up a little.

I totally overate nuts when we first started this, then I backed off and went hardcore on the avocados. I thought perhaps that was causing the weight gain so I have since backed off on thise as well.

In the interest of full disclosure - I never keep my carbs anywhere near the 100 range. always about 200 or more. Usually from veggies, some fruit, yogurt, but I am trying to get pg with #3 and I dont want to be in ketosis. However, I am afraing that by ading all the fat and protein from the meat I am now consuming and not lowering the carbs I am kinda shooting myself in the foot. Is that right? Do I HAVE to keep the carbs so low to maintain weight. I just dont want ot keep packing on the lbs. I am totally and completely fine with being a size 3. I dont want to be totally and completely fine with a size 5, ya know? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you want to be in ketosis?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    From what I've heard people have different levels that are right for carbs. Since the diet is making you feel better it sounds like you have got it mostly right. It might be worth cutting the carbs back to 100, and see what happens. If you stop gaining weight you can then edge them up to see if you gain. Carbs are not particularly good for you for all sorts of reasons other than weight gain, so cutting back to 100 will probably be better for you anyway. I wouldn't worry about ketosis. Most people go into ketosis when they sleep (assuming they are not getting up every 3 hours to eat). It is a normal part of human metabolism. You are already going into ketosis without realising it!!

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Aren't you gaining muscle? Maybe you should check your body fat percentages so you know whether you are gaining muscle or fat before you decide to change your diet. I would also add nuts back, but cut out dairy. I don't want to be in ketosis either and I don't eat low-carb.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

etsmom is offline Member
    Thanks for the responses. I have thought about cutting the carbs back but I am also trying to get pregant, thus the reson for avoiding ketosis. While I realize that pregnancy results in weight gain (have 2 kiddos already) I know what i am in for with that. My stumbling block is gaining weight without the pregnancy, but due strictly to my diet. I also used to have to eat every 2 hours or so, but maintained alower weight than now, when I feel satisfied after breakfast and luch and do not snack. Does that make sense?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Your carbs are that high? No wonder you're gaining weight.

The simple solution to your problem: STOP EATING THAT MANY CARBS. Eat meat and fat. Stop eating carbs. Bring them down below 100.

Ketosis is only harmful if you're a Type I diabetic with uncontrolled blood sugar levels.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

etsmom is offline Member
    Mirrorball, why cut out dairy? For paleo reasons or weight gain? I have always seemed to do well with dairy before when that was a primary source of protein during my veg days. I do have a few nuts here and there, but when we first decided to follow this primal way of living after Thanksgivign, I over did it with the nuts and really gained weight, too. Then, I stopped the nuts and leveled out. Now I am up about 4-5 lbs. It may be muscle, but the fat on the inside and outside of my thighs (saddle bags) is protruding further than before. I do eat full fat yogurt and whole cream top milk in my coffee - always have. I tend ot have a about a cup of mixed berries a day with my yogurt, which I realize adds carbs, but I dot want ot miss out on the variety of nutrients thye offer. I could cut the cheese though. I dont have much anymore anyway, though I have been havine more this week than previously. Anyway, sorry for my random streams of thought. I am worried because I need to fit into a dress in a couple of weeks for my sister's wedding and i am more than kinda concerned. thoughts?

etsmom is offline Member
    Thanks griff. I kinda figured. You really think it is carbs even though then come from veggies and fruits. I have cut out most fruit except for berries and an occasional banana or apple. Like I mentioned, I was eating a whole avocado a day, but they have a lot of carbs, too. Augh. And, I really thouth ketosis was bad for getting or being pregnant. I'll have to find the info...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can really say you're "doing PB" if you are 200+ grams carbs per day and 100 lbs. I weigh twice as much and try to keep my carbs under 100 gram/day. If you sign on to the PB way of thinking about nutrition at any level, you'd not be surprised to gain weight - you are probably drastically increasing your overall calories and not allowing any fat to get burned away with your high carb load. Since Ketosis is just another word for fat burning (and hence healthy weight loss), totally avoiding ketosis = gaining weight. I'm not trying to criticize, but maybe you are a bit confused as to how this is all supposed to work? The book is very clearly written, if you haven't bought it yet I would recommend it very highly.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A carb is a carb, etsmom. Remember Mark's basic rule: Dietary carbs drive insulin which drives fat storage. The more carbs you eat, the more fat you're storing. It doesn't matter what the source is.

I've never seen anything reliable that says ketosis and pregnancy are counterindicative of one another.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast