View Poll Results: Which one will bring the fastest results?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weights only workout

5 17.86%
  • Bodyweight only workout

3 10.71%
  • A hybrid of weights/bodyweight

20 71.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight or Weights? Which ones gives the fastest results? Please help. page

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member

Bodyweight or Weights? Which ones gives the fastest results? Please help.

I have information overload at the moment. To tell you a bit about myself. I am 5'7" tall 30 year old male. I weigh 185 pounds. My BMI is 28. My ideal weight is 145-150 pounds. That was what I weight back in high school but I was not very defined at all just skinny. So right now I'm a skinny fat type of guy.

I have both P90X and Insanity that I got locally from Craiglist. I forgot about that I had them actually when I signed up for my gym membership.

I have cleaned up my diet tremendously. I won't even eat cheat meals at all. I am very committed to this. I have been eating Primal/Paleo for the past two weeks. I will always eat like this for life. Not going back to Conventional Wisdom eating. I understand what you eat is 80% of what your body looks like. But a good solid workout still helps out a lot.

I am 100% committed to whatever will bring the fastest results. Results meaning body composition, fat loss and strength.

So should I do a bodyweight only workout or just weights? Also has there been any studies on weights vs bodyweight?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your goals. If you are going for looks, then getting the fat off is priority, which is what you are doing with your diet. Google Al Kavadlo, and check out his bodyweight routines and suggestions. He is in great shape, looks as good as any guy would want to, and has great tips. As for lifting weights, go with one of the beginner plans such as Starting Strength.

Which way is better or faster will begin the debate. I believe you can get great results from both. I have a short attention span, so I go from doing a bodyweight routine for a while to doing some barbell training. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The big advantage of bodyweight is that you can do it anywhere anytime. There are no excuses.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you are an untrained beginner or been away from training for a long time, I recommend to start with body weight exercises for some weeks and milk out what they can give you of improvements, and then begin to incorporate more weights! Good luck...

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Frankly either one is better than nothing. Just get started! There is a book out called the first 20 minutes. The whole idea is when your talking strictly about health you reach a point of diminishing returns soon after that. So do something..... anything for 20 minutes and you will benefit. Just get going.

As to which one will give you prettier muscles quicker?.... Well whichever one is something that you find interesting enough to stick with over a long period and progressively load during that time. The choice is yours.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm still not getting a straight answer. Let's say I have a brother. We are both the same height and both 185 pounds and 5'7" tall. We both eat Primal/Paleo. One does bodyweight only and the other weights only. Which one will have the quickest fat loss and why?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm still not getting a straight answer. Let's say I have a brother. We are both the same height and both 185 pounds and 5'7" tall. We both eat Primal/Paleo. One does bodyweight only and the other weights only. Which one will have the quickest fat loss and why?
    Assuming same diet and strictly concentrating on fat loss... there as has not been a study done to measure this to my knowledge. So the reason your not getting a straight answer is because anyone giving you one would just be guessing. Fact is all studies tend to lump "resistance training" into a group. As a group resistance training increases lean muscle retention in the presence of a caloric deficit vs non-resistance training groups. Thats a fact. To state anything more than that would be theoretical at best and flat out wrong at worse.

fresa is offline Member
    I tend to prefer bodyweight as I feel that I get a more even, all-around muscle tone rather than only working one isolated area. But there is not actual science behind this, just a personal preference. I do use both methods, just bodyweight more frequently. If you use weights, I do think that most people would recommend free weights rather than machines for faster muscle building. Maybe combine weights and bodyweight just to cover your bases? That's probably more primal as well. The problem with this question is that I haven't actually tried only one or the other for an extended period of time from the exact same starting point, so I have no idea which would build muscle faster. But there is my own personal preference, if that helps.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Most of the time, when guys are doing barbell training they are also doing a few body weight exercises at the same time. Mostly chinups/pullups and dips.

I'd say do both.

In my personal, old lady opinion, body weight stuff didn't get me very far. I still am not very good at any of it. But the barbells work for me. I've gotten 3 unsolicited comments about my physique in the last week. It has taken about 6 months. I suspect that my recent improvements are due to adding olympic lifting and subtracting wine and chocolate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    In my personal, old lady opinion, body weight stuff didn't get me very far.
    i would have agreed with you till i got my BBY book. then i saw that i was just doing stuff that was too easy. OMG the bodyweight stuff i reckon is harder than lifting weights and i dont wimp out at the gym. i have definitely cut up or is the term chiselled up from doing the body weight exercises. i do them 3x a week. 20 mins or so each time. this is in addition to going to the gym which i only do once a week.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think it's a false dichotomy anyway. The king daddy of all barbell exercises, the back squat, is really a body weight exercise that's loaded with a barbell to increase the resistance. One of the most important upper body lifts in my routine is a weighted chin-up. Which category does that fall into?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast