View Poll Results: Which one will bring the fastest results?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weights only workout

5 17.86%
  • Bodyweight only workout

3 10.71%
  • A hybrid of weights/bodyweight

20 71.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bodyweight or Weights? Which ones gives the fastest results? Please help. page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i saw that i was just doing stuff that was too easy. OMG the bodyweight stuff i reckon is harder than lifting weights.
    Yeah, this was my issue. I was taking a class where we did bodyweight stuff. Some of it was too hard so I never could do it. Some was too easy and most of the time all of it was easy to wuss out on and not work hard. I found with barbells you either get up out of the hole or you crash and embarrass yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    A pull-up can be a lot more intense than pulling on a cable that is half your weight. Same thing can be said for a pistol squat and a leg press.
    Yeah, that is my issue for some bodyweight exercises. The barbells are easier to get started (for me) and they take me further so I just keep at them. Take me further without being suddenly way too hard for me, is what I should say.

There's a girl in my gym who has a pretty nice body. I saw her recently and wow, her body has changed. She was doing one-armed pushups or some god-awful thing like that. Obviously bodyweight stuff works because look what she had accomplished. She was ripped. Even her forearms were ripped. She's damn strong, too. Stronger than I'll ever be no matter how much I can squat or deadlift.

I really think you need to do both for best results.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 05-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I found with barbells you either get up out of the hole or you crash and embarrass yourself.
    i can still whimp out with barbells. the bar is only 20kgs after all and alot of the machines have very low wieghts at the top of the stack. have you ever been to a woman's gym? the ones here even have colour co-ordinated upholstry on the machines to match the decor. they also dont have big enuf dumbbells for me to lunge.

the other thing with bodyweight stuff is there is alot of flexibility involved which i think is good for overall conditioning and keeps the balance in your body for strength gains.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I love these forums. Always willing to help out a newb to fitness like me.

Doing both does sound good to me. I was hoping to do just weights or bodyweight. Only because I'm in a unique situation right now. I have a pull up/dip station at home. Here is the link to the one I own:

Amazon.com: Weider 200 Power Tower: Sports & Outdoors

I also have a gym membership. The gym membership is down the street from my house. It's a 3-5 minute drive depending on traffic. The gym is open 24 hours a day except on Sundays. Plus my 8 week old son is here now and my wife needs some help with him as well. But I don't want to stray from my fitness. I just don't want to jump from doing workouts at home doing bodyweight then driving to the gym for weights. But if that's what I go to do then so be it.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The question of which method will serve your goals isn't easily answered and it certainly isn't made any easier by the lack of distinction here. Clearly strength is best gained by weight training as there is always a limit to how much resistance you can apply with bodyweight alone - but it's not that simple. Namely because it's also important how much strength you want and what you want it for. In your situation I'd probably say a mixture of both weight training and bodyweight training will serve you well.

Why do you want to know what will produce results fastest though? That doesn't sound like someone who has made a lifelong commitment.
    I meant a life long commitment to always eating Primal/Paleo. That I have figured out. It's just the workout routine that I have issues with.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Hi FF,

I would agree with a lot of the posts in that the best results will come from a combination of body-weight and weight workouts. That being said, resistance is resistance is resistance. If you fail after eight reps from lifting your body weight or after lifting a loaded barbell, I would say that your body will react the same way. I can tell you that I workout exclusively with body-weight workouts, and I've gotten tremendous results. If you specialize in body-weight workouts, you'll eventually be performing moves like pistol squats, handstand pushups, uneven pullups, and one-armed pushups. I also prefer body-weight only programs because I have no excuses not to do them. It takes a lot of willpower to get to the gym on a regular basis. With body-weight programs, I can get intense workouts right in my living room.

If you are interested in hybrid workouts with body-weight and weights, I would check out Jason Ferruggia's website.

How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet High Performance Muscle Building

For body-weight only programs, check out the following people:

Al Kavadlo - Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out!

Mark Lauren - Welcome to You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren

Paul Wade/Convict Conditioning - Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness--Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength: Paul Wade: 9780938045762: Amazon.com: Books

Hope this helps!

ZZ

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsz101 View Post
    Hi FF,

If you are interested in hybrid workouts with body-weight and weights, I would check out Jason Ferruggia's website.

How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet High Performance Muscle Building
    Very interesting site. His diet advice also seems very primal/paleo.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Agreed miata. He sells a diet program as well that's basically a combination of the Leangains intermittent fasting protocol and The Warrior Diet in that you skip breakfast and fast for sixteen hours, under-eat for four hours, and overeat for four hours.

The food choices he recommends are probably 99% aligned with those in The Primal Blueprint. The only downside is that he recommends really upping your starchy carb intake when you get your body fat in check, but that's with the goal of gaining lots of mass. I prefer to stay in the primal curve and use starchy carbs as needed because I'm not really interested in gaining large amounts of mass.

Interestingly enough, he also wrote the foreword for Al Kavadlo's latest book.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsz101 View Post
    Agreed miata. He sells a diet program as well that's basically a combination of the Leangains intermittent fasting protocol and The Warrior Diet in that you skip breakfast and fast for sixteen hours, under-eat for four hours, and overeat for four hours.

The food choices he recommends are probably 99% aligned with those in The Primal Blueprint. The only downside is that he recommends really upping your starchy carb intake when you get your body fat in check, but that's with the goal of gaining lots of mass. I prefer to stay in the primal curve and use starchy carbs as needed because I'm not really interested in gaining large amounts of mass.

Interestingly enough, he also wrote the foreword for Al Kavadlo's latest book.
    Do you know if his ebooks are worth it?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
    I meant a life long commitment to always eating Primal/Paleo. That I have figured out. It's just the workout routine that I have issues with.
    I see. Either way, fitness tends to be a constantly evolving thing (it has been for me at least). At certain times particular training tools and methods will suit you but a few months later you may need to tweak your approach. As this is fairly new I'd recommend doing a little of both and then developing your own program from there. As long as you hit all the major movement patterns you'll be good. Based on your situation you could always just schedule a gym-based lifting session once per fortnight or so and do home-based bodyweight stuff the rest of the time.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i can still whimp out with barbells. the bar is only 20kgs after all and alot of the machines have very low wieghts at the top of the stack. have you ever been to a woman's gym? the ones here even have colour co-ordinated upholstry on the machines to match the decor. they also dont have big enuf dumbbells for me to lunge.

the other thing with bodyweight stuff is there is alot of flexibility involved which i think is good for overall conditioning and keeps the balance in your body for strength gains.
    I go to a university gym. I bring a plan with me. I don't do what most guys in there are doing which is picking what weight they want to lift based on how it feels that day, then having another guy touch the bar while he spots. "It's all you bro!"
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123