View Poll Results: Which one will bring the fastest results?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weights only workout

5 17.86%
  • Bodyweight only workout

3 10.71%
  • A hybrid of weights/bodyweight

20 71.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight or Weights? Which ones gives the fastest results? Please help. page 2

miata is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't the intensity matter more than where the resistance comes from -- body weight, barbells or machines. A pull-up can be a lot more intense than pulling on a cable that is half your weight. Same thing can be said for a pistol squat and a leg press.

Is the real question whether a high intensity workout with more resistance or a lower intensity workout is more effective?

Or maybe the question is which is more intense -- body weight or weights -- and that depends on the exercise and the amount of weight used.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Doesn't the intensity matter more than where the resistance comes from -- body weight, barbells or machines. A pull-up can be a lot more intense than pulling on a cable that is half your weight. Same thing can be said for a pistol squat and a leg press.

Is the real question whether a high intensity workout with more resistance or a lower intensity workout is more effective?

Or maybe the question is which is more intense -- body weight or weights -- and that depends on the exercise and the amount of weight used.
    It depends on various variables and weight/intensity is only one of them. If you have pre-exausted a musclegroup then a smaller amount of weigth close to failure can trigger a stronger physiological growth signal than a heavy weight alone. So lets say you do leg extensision and leg press to pre fatigue the quadriceps and finish with squats, but with half the weight of what you are usually using when squatting - then this can trigger more muscle growth than just by going very heavy on squats. And this is relevant also related to bodyweight exercises, it depends on the context of the program...

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    It depends on various variables and weight/intensity is only one of them. If you have pre-exausted a musclegroup then a smaller amount of weigth close to failure can trigger a stronger physiological growth signal than a heavy weight alone. So lets say you do leg extensision and leg press to pre fatigue the quadriceps and finish with squats, but with half the weight of what you are usually using when squatting - then this can trigger more muscle growth than just by going very heavy on squats. And this is relevant also related to bodyweight exercises, it depends on the context of the program...
    Makes sense. So, this seems to argue more for weights, since you have more resistance range to play with. You can always use less weight when you are fatigued. With body exercises you can't really tune the resistance of a pushup unless you tie a helium balloon or something to your back.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i would have agreed with you till i got my BBY book. then i saw that i was just doing stuff that was too easy. OMG the bodyweight stuff i reckon is harder than lifting weights and i dont wimp out at the gym. i have definitely cut up or is the term chiselled up from doing the body weight exercises. i do them 3x a week. 20 mins or so each time. this is in addition to going to the gym which i only do once a week.
    What is the BBY book?

I'm really surprised that there has not been a study done on this. I bet I have not been the only one that has thought of this. I wonder if Mark Sisson knows? Well I will be doing some research tonight. It looks like I will probably be doing a hybrid workout.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I've done both over the years and basically think of the body weight exercises as a HIT metabolic workout, great for muscle endurance and combined with the right diet excellent for dropping some body fat. For basic body building nothing beats weight training in my opinion. I would start with weights, focus on the tride and true major lifts and practice progressive resistance for three months, then take a break from the weights and do a month of body weight training, then jump back in for another 3 months of weight training. That should lay a good foundation.

prime11 is offline Junior Member
    P90x has a good mix of both. Ive done p90x a couple times a week for awhile now with good results. Wasn't fan of insanity. I started doing p90x with a 15 pound weight vest made by UFC and def recommend it for extra challenge. Rip city.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Barbells + pull/chin-ups/dips. Use them to put on some muscle and strength. When strong, eat a little less gradually, while keeping the intensity and protein intake high, and lose the fat to a desired level. Then add in some quality conditioning such as working with the prowler, and/or running hill sprints. By then you will be a healthy beast with minimal amount of time wasted doing stupid stuff.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I have done stronglifts and madcow and made good gains. Since going over to bodyweight conditioning I have become much stronger as I progress to the higher levels of CC.
    But as others have said just get up and do something.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Makes sense. So, this seems to argue more for weights, since you have more resistance range to play with. You can always use less weight when you are fatigued. With body exercises you can't really tune the resistance of a pushup unless you tie a helium balloon or something to your back.
    Not to mention you can load the barbell in precise and very small increments, which is not true of bodyweight exercises that are loaded with additional leverage. But I don't think anybody's truly advocating exclusive use of one methodology or the other.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The question of which method will serve your goals isn't easily answered and it certainly isn't made any easier by the lack of distinction here. Clearly strength is best gained by weight training as there is always a limit to how much resistance you can apply with bodyweight alone - but it's not that simple. Namely because it's also important how much strength you want and what you want it for. In your situation I'd probably say a mixture of both weight training and bodyweight training will serve you well.

Why do you want to know what will produce results fastest though? That doesn't sound like someone who has made a lifelong commitment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast