Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips to get over a funk? page

Samantha is offline Junior Member

Tips to get over a funk?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    HI guys I'm in a bit of a funk - mentally - and can't seem to grab hold of any enthusiasm for my weightloss mission, which I really want to do.

I eat primally so the actually eating nutritionally well is not the problem. Tbh it's mostly chocolate that's the problem and I'm usually awesome at giving it up or at least only eating quality stuff.

I have spiralled over the past 4-6 weeks and for no particular reason.

To counter, I've joined a tennis court next to my house (which is my favourite sport - yay and have been playing). And I still cook all my meals but for some reason, I just can't screw my head on in the morning and be enthused about my mission. I found a really lovely picture of when I was fit and ripped and have saved it as my screensaver but nothing is helping. I've emotionally flatlined which is sabotaging my attempts to restrict calories.

Does anyone have these days / months and could pass on any tips?

Many thanks
    Samantha

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    what is your romance situation?

The promise of improved mating opportunities/sexual proficiency always gets me past moments of doubt and sluggishness.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Samantha is offline Junior Member
    Ha, nice one! No issues there - but thank you for replying.

No issues? LOL that doesn't answer the question.

I don't have issues either, but that doesn't mean that improvement is a more desirable scenario. My wife's supposed to stay content forever with, "Well I don't have any issues..."?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    I'm dealing with a similar issue right now - although it doesn't involve weight loss, it definitely involves motivation for certain goals (business and career related).

My advice is to do a couple things:

1) If it's possible, take some sort of Vacation over the weekend - even if it's for only one night! Go to a new location, get out of your normal routine, and spend some time in nature.

2) Write down the reasons WHY you want to lose weight, and READ those reasons OUT-LOUD every morning and every night. The more creative you get, the better it is.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could help, Samantha. I am in the same boat! I first learned about PB in 2011. I haven't lost ANY weight on it though, because I just can't seem to stay the course long enough to see results. I'm probably 60% primal, which is not nearly enough. It's so frustrating because losing weight is something I REALLY want, but for whatever reason, I cannot seem to follow through.

Lately I've realized that if I truly want this to work I need to start saying no a lot more often. I need to stop accepting invitations to go to restaurants where I know I cannot get a primal meal. I need to stop agreeing to order take out when my husband and I are busy and instead we need to simply prioritize our health over our latest house project. Those things are so much easier said than done though.

Unfortunately, I agreed to go out to dinner with a friend tonight. She had reservations at a restaurant that is very difficult to get into (2 to 3 month wait for a reservation). So, I guess I'm doing that tonight. I think tomorrow though, I'm going to plan a couple of dinners for the rest of the week and go grocery shopping immediately after work. Then I'm going to cook dinner as soon as I get home. No waiting for my husband to get there (which is what I usually do and then lose my resolve). I need to take over as the cook in our house even though I don't really like cooking that much. What I've been doing up until now has not worked. I guess I've just had a very long incubation period to think everything through or something.

I know people say that small steps work, but they really don't for me. I'm much more of an all or nothing type of person. I've been thinking I need to put a big sign up somewhere in my kitchen and count the days I've been primal. I think having a huge count going will make me want to stick with it more, especially if I get a couple weeks straight on there... I won't want to erase a large number and go back to square one. So, perhaps that is one idea.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Assuming your home is filled with wholesome/primal food, focus on something else. Sometimes when weight loss slows, it's easy to get into that funk. Eat and exercise for weight loss, but don't necessarily make that your primary focus in life. Get your hair done or colored, get a mani/pedi, take some photos of the things around you, read a good book - stay busy. Oh and occasionally, give yourself a freebie meal. Eat what you want.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paul I hear you on the other kinds of motivation. I accomplish pretty much nothing ever in any kind of professional or economic arena.

But I attribute that to having real goals, like acquiring a shared mate and being healthy and happy and having time to be free of coercion. Career people don't seem interested in any of that especially, and I think that they are suffering a kind of madness to neglect real, biological goals in favor of stupid status artificial illusion bullshit. Also, with a few notable exceptions, anyone that "does" anything for a living isn't really that talented at it- they just had good connections, or folded their hands and learned all the right politeness and compliance in school, so that their predictable life trajectory was set in childhood. I call that all kinds of words that would get me Administrator warnings if I typed them.

So maybe it is not lack of motivation, but rather an excess of suspicion about "success" and recognition of the absurdity of it.

Samantha, are you pregnant or menopausal or something? It kinda sounds hormonal actually. Or you are leaving out an important factor regarding stress and/or trauma/loss.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Journal it out. Just start writing and keep writing. You'll start to write one thing -- try not to get sidetracked with "I must do this, I have to remember that.." -- and eventually something will bubble to the surface. You'll let out a deep sigh and feel -- not a new woman -- but slightly refreshed.

Then go out and get tanked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast