Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Chris Christie Secretly Had Weight-Loss Surgery" page 4

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Resurrecting this thread a bit because I could not find one that really fit my thoughts at present.

I felt a twinge of sadness that 'we lost another' to weight loss surgery, but I also felt a bit of envy that he was going to at least lose some weight and get some part of his life back.

Through the years, I've seen friends' results of bypass or lap band surgery, and I've noted the hanging skin and the digestive trouble (at least with the bypass) and the rapid metabolism of alcohol - and I've consoled my fat self with these things, deeming them as symptoms of a choice I won't make.

But I have been on/off primal eating for several years and I'm still fat. Before you attack, let me say that I've stuck with it no longer than a solid 3.5 months before eating bread or some other saboteur, then starting over again for a week or two...rinse and repeat. There have been periods in there where I said screw it and abandoned all hope. Most often money issues that have made it Ramen only for a week, never mind organic or grass-fed. And I've tried to keep myself in vitamin supplements, but it's been hit and miss, due to lack of funds.

While I lost a few inches around my waist, I did not see the amazing changes others have enjoyed. I felt better, yes, mainly in the form of stomach churning and discomfort gone. The stories of amazing energy, skin clearing up, and better sleep have been things I've only read about.

And then one of my dear gastric bypass friends (surgery done 4 years or so) visits for the weekend. I watch her shopping off the rack, surrounded by hundreds of choices. I have known her fat and thin, and even though she does not have the curves she always wanted, she looks like a normal weight female. She walks with confidence now, and is assertive. She doesn't groan getting off the floor or couch. She feels like a person who stopped carrying around an extra 150 lbs. She is still eating the conventional way, but she is maintaining without issue.

And I look at myself. I am tired. TIRED. Tired of trying and trying and getting next to zero results. I expect to get hit with comments about wanting instant gratification, making excuses, etc. I can handle a wait if there is a result. I have yet to see much of a result.

I believe primal/paleo eating works - I BELIEVE it is the way to live and be healthy. No one has to convince me of that. What I am struggling with is whether primal eating will work with me. Something so broken that nothing will bring me back from the place my body finds itself in. I now work for a company with insurance that will pay for at least the lap band surgery, as 2 coworkers have recently had that done. I find myself considering something I once completely dismissed because I am overcome with a feeling that nothing else will get rid of the extra 100 lbs I'm carrying. I don't know anyone who's lost 100+ lbs eating primal. I read about them here all the time - but I don't know them. I can see and hear and talk to those who've had wls, and it seems to work in the most hopeless of cases.

I suppose I'm looking for some insight here, some encouragement. The one word that keeps coming in my head is TIRED. TIRED of being FAT. TIRED of spending money for what may very well be delicious, healthy food, but that appears to give my body zero benefit. I would like at some point before I leave this earth to walk among us all as a normal-weight individual. Primal has been my last hope and I cannot do it pure, so I do it as best I can by eliminating grains, and still nothing. I am tired of lying to myself that things are going to change.

Whew. Anyone got wls to 'kick-start' their weight change and follow up with primal to maintain? I have read the article here about Orleatha...
    Last edited by Clabbergirl; 07-09-2013 at 07:43 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I wish you luck, Clabbergirl. But there is no weight loss surgery that will guarantee loss of weight. It is the highly restricted diet afterwards that results in the loss of weight. And lots of people just blow that off and end up losing hardly any weight.

If you do go for it, lap band is safer and more reversible.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I wonder the the success rate of obesity surgery really is...
    I work in a large facility (2,500+) and know quite a few people that have had the full on surgery, including one that died on the operating table, and also the lap band. It's hard to recall all of them because MOST are as big if not bigger than they were to begin with. Success? 420 down to 240 at 5'2"? Or 475 down to 325 at 6'? You be the judge.* Off hand the one that has kept the weight off has every symptom of muscle wasting, has developed a nice dowagers hump, can't stay awake and is always cold no matter how hot and humid.

What I really don't get is this, Mr. 420 had to lose 40 before the surgeon would operate, why not keep on doing whatever led to that? My outhouse opinion is that it is a racket and I resent that my health premiums pay for it. As for Christie, I'd be interested in his diet going forward, it most likely will be primal/paleo which is what he should have done to begin with. As far as his being fat, hell if I care, I don't see that as having any bearing on job ability.

*Maybe a little TMI but don't follow any of these folks into the bathroom, not to say mine don't stink but I'm talking bad enough to take the tile off the wall. One said it was about inability to digest fat or some such thing. I'd hate to be on Christie's campaign plane.
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 07-09-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: *
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    I just read this today; might be applicable?: My Lap-Band disaster - Salon.com
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

diene is offline Senior Member
    Chris Christie = Eric Cartman

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Chris Christie = Eric Cartman
    Just like Eric Cartman, but evil.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I just read this today; might be applicable?: My Lap-Band disaster - Salon.com
    That's not a "disaster". A disaster is the experience of a friend of mine, who had bariatric surgery and almost died of sudden complications years later. And then the insurance company refused to pay, because he hadn't cleared in advance the life-saving surgery they had to give him.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Clabber, have you tried Overeaters Anonymous? You can got to oa.org to find your local meetings, and there are also telephone meetings. Either in your local meeting or in an area meeting, you will meet people who have lost large amounts of weight.

It sounds like your life has a lot of other kinds of stress. Weight loss obviously isn't going to solve those problems, so yes, you still feel stressed.

Don't feel like a failure. If obesity were so easy to solve, everyone would have solved it. If someone tries to tell you it is easy or you should "just", kick em in the nuts. Maybe not, but they are outing themselves as ignoramous asshats- it has nothing to do with you.

Don't be waiting to lose weight to deal with some of your other stresses or improve your life otherwise if you can. You can exercise without weight loss. You can get a better job without weight loss. You can have a happy meaningful life without weight loss. Don't let this one thing define you.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Don't be waiting to lose weight to deal with some of your other stresses or improve your life otherwise if you can. You can exercise without weight loss. You can get a better job without weight loss. You can have a happy meaningful life without weight loss. Don't let this one thing define you.
    Yes all of this is true, and I stopped 'waiting' to live my life some time back. I resigned myself to being fat about 3 years ago, because no matter what I did short of Herculean effort made more than a 20 lb. difference. I stumbled across primal/paleo eating through the Wheat Belly movement and was amazed at the results, many of which didn't even involve exercise. That gave me hope, and propelled me through the initial balking by friends and family, and helped me to justify the expense. But then came the divorce and my budget was cut by half while expenses increased. And I have not bounced back.

I KNOW mac n' cheese is bad, I get it. Sure is hard to walk by .30/box and pick up organic anything though. Plenty of folks will chastise me for 'not caring about my health' with that statement. They have a point - I care about my health, but my health is also contingent on my keeping a roof over my head. And then there were kids - and keeping a roof over their heads and something in their belly was (and always will be) more important than my health.

Christy doesn't have to deal with these issues, so his reasons for the wls are surely different, as I suppose they are for everyone.

I suspect I have not had 'normal' results with primal eating because I have not gone 100% - I've tried to do my own hybrid version eating grain-fed meats and supplementing with CO, buying or growing my own veggies and even (gasp) eating frozen, but not organic. And I have not stopped aspartame with any regularity. I hoped that I would still get half-ass results if I took a half-ass approach by eliminating wheat and eating good fats. I've seen people lose tons of weight simply be removing wheat - yet that has not had much of an effect on me.

I will not have the option to go 100% any time soon, however, so I will never know if that was the problem or not. I find it hard to believe big changes such as removing grains and wheat and adding in CO have so little effect, but that has been my case. And that's how I've got to the point that I don't know what else to do.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Christie's weight in the future.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Not for nothing, but 100% primal is cheaper than the Lap Band. I'm going to bet your insurance at minimum has some deductible or fee for the surgery. I'm also going to bet the shakes are not cheap.

If I had weightloss surgery, my fee would be around $5000. I estimate I spend $300 a month on my food and then $125 for CrossFit. ($5100 a year) So lets say I do the surgery, drop Cross Fit and my grocery bill drops to $200 a month (though I bet it won't). So now my diet costs $2400 plus at least $5000 (not including check ups and special supplements etc.).

Honestly, if your budget is severely limited to that $.30 mac and cheese is all you can afford, you can't possibly pay or save for weightloss surgery unless you have some amazing health insurance.

If I were you, I'd try the half assed approach to primal and go all in, with the free PB exercise, sleeping better etc. Go for grain fed meats and non-organic veggies- frozen can be cheap. Cut back on the fat- coconut oil is expensive, and maybe add in small amounts of carbs like rice and potatoes. So your dinner might be 6 oz chicken thighs, 1/2 cup of rice and veggies.

It can't hurt to try.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast