Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: songsparrow's Primal Journal page

songsparrow is offline Junior Member

songsparrow's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

This is the start of my primal journey. I've eaten primally in the past for brief periods, of up to a few weeks at a time, and have had great success during those periods, but have fallen off the wagon each time. I want to make this a permanent change. I am hoping that posting here, and getting some feedback, will help me to stay on track. My primary goal right now is weight loss.

For the next 30 days, my primary focus is changing my eating habits - eliminating sugars, grains and vegetable oils and primarily eating meats, healthy fats, vegetables with some fruits and dairy (and dark chocolate). My challenge will be keeping the house stocked with healthy foods and making the time to cook daily. I am not embarking on an exercise program yet, but I will be using a Fitbit to monitor my daily activity and expect that it will increase as my energy level increases.

I am the only person in my family presently eating primally.

Last night for dinner, I roasted two chickens and made carrot soufflé (that wasn't ready in time for dinner so we'll have it tonight - instead I heated some baked sweet potatoes that I had in the freezer). I have had bone broth cooking in the crockpot overnight.

Breakfast today: Leftover roast chicken heated with salsa and topped with sour cream and avocado; fresh pineapple.

8716795731_76e7afd04c_m.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-08-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Completing yesterday's log:

Lunch: Slices of roast beef wrapped around pieces of cheddar cheese, carrot soufflé

8719571081_a8bf7d3cdc_m.jpg

Dinner: Roast chicken (reheated from last night), carrot soufflé and fresh pineapple

Activity (after 1:00 pm, when I recharged my Fitbit): 3,413 steps / 3 floors climbed / 1.47 mi

Sleep: ~8-1/2 to 9 hours.
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hi songsparrow,
    Welcome to the forums. I hope your journey is a happy and healthy one!
    Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Thanks, Primal Primate!

Day 2 of First 30 day challenge:

Breakfast: Same as yesterday
    Lunch: Same as yesterday
    Dinner: Chili topped with cheddar cheese & sour cream. The chili is from our local grocery and is pretty primal - I just pick out the red kidney beans.

8721893514_78681b7f99_m.jpg

Snack: Hard boiled egg

Activity: 2,757 steps / 5 floors / 1.19 mi
    Sleep: 8-1/2 hours
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    Love the food pics!
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Thanks, Erin.Patti!

Day 3:
    Breakfast: Leftover roast chicken with salsa and topped with sour cream and avocado
    Lunch: Leftover chili with cheddar cheese & sour cream

Today is dd's birthday. I've decided that I need to forego the cake and ice cream and other non-primal party foods this year. In the past, I would have tried to have just a little, and sometimes could muster the willpower to do that. But when eating primally, I just find it so much easier if I stick only to primal food as much as possible. Even just a little sweets seems to set me back to square one mentally, and it's a huge struggle to resist eating more. So, this year I will abstain. (And hopefully by next year I'll have a whole different body! ) Maybe I'll have some raspberries and dark chocolate, instead - I could make up a bowl of whipped cream, raspberries and dark chocolate shavings for anybody who wants it, to go with the cake and ice cream, and then it won't be so glaringly obvious that I'm not eating the cake and ice cream as it would be if I had nothing at all to eat.

As far as results so far goes, it never fails to amaze me how quickly my body begins to feel different when I'm eating primally. In only 2 days, all of my joints feel less stiff - maybe due to reduced inflammation? I feel like I can sit and stand straighter, move more fluidly, breathe deeper. I didn't even realize how stiff I was, until the stiffness is gone. Also, I hopped on the scale this morning, and I'm down 4 lbs. in the last 2 days - wow, that was a surprise!

Dinner: Pot roast & carrot souffle
    Dessert: Raspberries with whipped cream (sweetened with honey) and dark chocolate shavings.

8725340447_1db6cfb1eb_m.jpg

Calves hurt tonight, and back aches - I've been on my feet more than normal today, with the birthday party preparations.

Activity: 5,712 steps / 4 floors climbed / 2.46 mi
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-11-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Day 4:

Today was mostly an IF. It was an incredibly busy day, so it was after 7:00 pm before I ate. I had some fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries & cantaloupe), the last of the leftover roast chicken, carrot soufflé and a hard boiled egg.

Activity: 5,346 steps / 2 floors climbed / 2.3 mi
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-11-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Day 5:

Hopped on the scale this am, and another 2.6 lbs down! Wow!

Breakfast: Banana & egg pancakes, fire roasted red pepper sausage

Attachment 11640

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    Congrats on the 2.6!

Whipped cream with dark chocolate and berries sounds delicious!
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Erin.Patti! It was yummy!

Day 5 (yesterday), finished:
    Lunch: Hard boiled eggs, fresh mozzarella balls, dark chocolate, the little bit of leftover raspberries/whipped cream/dark chocolate. (I was basically picking at what was in the fridge)
    Dinner: Stew made from leftover pot roast, pot roast gravy and carrots and onions that cooked with the pot roast, plus some extra stock added.

That was the good. The bad was that yesterday I also ate some sweets - two chocolate donuts with milk (grrr to dh for bringing them home!) and one of the leftover red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and a little chocolate ice cream. I am annoyed with myself, but I am treated it as a mistake that I won't let derail me. I am going to get right back on track.

I have been finding breakfasts and dinners easy, and lunches easy if I have leftovers from dinner the night before. But if there are no leftovers to heat up, I tend to struggle with what to have for lunch. I'll have to work on that.

Activity: Fitbit says 931 steps / 1 floor / 0.4 miles, which seems much too low

Day 6 (today):

Breakfast: Banana & egg pancakes with some blueberries, fire roasted red pepper sausage.
    8732643881_f67d967249_m.jpg
    Lunch: Mother's Day Brunch out. It was a buffet. I chose the roasted lamb and the grilled zucchini, red peppers and onions with a little mozzarella cheese. Yum!
    Dinner: Wasn't real hungry, so just had two deviled egg halves. Later, I finally got hungry, so ate a fire roasted red pepper sausage with some sour cream and some mini mozzarella balls.

Activity: 4,396 steps / 13 floors climbed / 1.89 mi
    Last edited by songsparrow; 05-13-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast