Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermarket lard - is it OK? page

gazb is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey,

Is the lard that you get on the supermarket shelves (in the UK, if that matters) next to the butter OK, or is it hydrogenated? It tends to cost about 30p for a block, and it's often the supermarket's "value" brand. I know lard's good for you and all, but I've read that commercially available lard is sometimes hydrogenated.

If not, where might I get some decent lard, or should I render some myself?

Thanks! Been searching for the answer but haven't found anything definitive.

andrewc Guest

Lard is rendered pig fat.

The problem with pigs is that they will eat just about anything. My understanding is that toxins from diet are generally stored in body fat. Given the dubious practices in mainstream UK farming practice this may mean that the only lard truly safe to eat is likely to be from free range, organic, naturally fed pigs.

You will also need to find a brand which is not hydrogenated. I'm afraid I don't know of any but would be keen to hear of any brand which satisfies the above.

marika Guest

Most supermarket lards I have seen are hydrogenated. It should say so on the container. However, if you've got a farmers market anywhere around, you can most likely buy pure lard straight from a pig farmer, that's how I've been getting mine. And as mentioned, pastured pork lard is preferable for purity. (haha, try saying THAT ten times in a row!)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

My experience with supermarket lard is the same as Marika's. Lard is usually completely or partially hydrogenated to extend shelf life. If so, it might have trans-fats and you should stay away from it.

The best and safest way is to buy pig fat in a farmers market and render it by yourself. It's very cheap and pretty easy. I did it myself and, while didn't follow the typical procedure, got a very good quality lard as a result:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Your-Own-Lard
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Don't they do nutrition and content labels in the UK? There's where your answers are. All the lard I've seen has some hydrogenation. So, given the choice of not using it at all or plugging in the fact that I don't use much over time, I buy it. It's only used by me for frying foods when I want inexpensive, "good" lipids. You only eat what is in the food, don't forget. Very little.

Here in the US if a store has lard at all, it's with the shortenings and oils. Interesting, putting it by the butter! Bread and lard is an old food stuff, at least on this side of the pond. I have also reported here that the cheap Brand X of lard I can get actually has no scent, whereas the everywhere in America Morrell brand has a funk scent.

evil_O Guest

I am having a hard time finding lard as well. The only thing I am finding is shortening - veg oil - typically near the flour/mixes. Anyone have any suggestions what food chain/store may carry it? No local farmers in the area and I really don't want to render my own at this point.

So far I have not been able to find it at Sprouts, Sunflower Market, Whole Foods, or King Soopers.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

King Soopers should certainly have it. I've seen it kept not only with oils and shortening but on refrigerated shelves in the meat section. The store manager should certainly know where it is. Those other stores, don't forget, are into the CW of no saturated fats.

Do you live in Denver? The store list sounds like it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

All the lard in my supermarket have hydrogenated oils also.

For a little more than I dollar I bought beef kidney fat instead. It rendered easily and I ended up with a HUGE crock full of tallow.

Home made is definitely better.

evil_O Guest

OnTheBayou

I do live in the Denver area. I will check with the store Manager at Kings. I looked around myself but I may not have looked well enough. I will let you know if I find it there.

Tarlach is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

Lard should be soft in the fridge section (as in you can gently squeeze it and it gives).

If the lard feels like a solid brick, it is hydrogenated.

We have one brand in Australia that I don't think is hydrogenated, but we just make our own lard. It's really easy to do and one big batch lasts us for months.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast