Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Low Vit D page

umm7 is offline Senior Member

Very Low Vit D

Primal Fuel
    I have Hashimotos which is doing very well with meds and low carb. My Vit D however is another story. It was at 7 and we brought it up to 13 but couldnt increase it further. I have tried meds, sunshine (was already doing anyway) and milk. I have now stopped drinking milk (lactose issues my entire life) and after reading studies stopped the weekly Vit D supplement. It didnt matter anyway since neither of which were working. I was doing them for over a yr so time wasn't the issue.

Any ideas?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    What kind of vit D supplement were you taking, and why only weekly? I have struggled for years to keep my vit D levels up and I take 5000IU/day, which keeps it in a happy place (100+/-).
    You can also get it from things like salmon and eggs, not just milk. It's fat soluble, so best to take it with a meal with a good amount of fats in it, or take it in a gelcap form - I take this. Make sure you take D3, not D2, as D3 is the form that's naturally occurring in the body.
    I certainly wouldn't just give up on it because it's not working, if I were you. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to a whole host of other issues. What were the studies you read that convinced you to stop taking the supplement?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Make sure it's D3, liquid form often works best for supplements. I have taken up to 20,000 IU per day to get my levels from about 17 to mid 50s. If you're worried about taking too much, don't be. My doctor told me to take this much. I take anywhere from 4k-6k IU per day now, depending on if I remember and how I feel.

I take this: Vitacost Vitamin D Drops -- 2000 IU per serving - 1 fl oz - Vitacost

Make sure you are getting sources of vitamin K and A. I think one of those is needed to go along with Vitamin d.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I will find them, give me a bit though.
    I was taking 50,000IU in green softgel capsule form, prescribed by my endo. What would indicate if it's D2 or D3?
    I eat eggs almost every day. I grew up eating Salmon, not something unfamiliar in our home.

My endo thinks I have some absorption issue. Is that really possible? I have been low on Vit Dat least since I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, which was 15 years ago.

Thanks for the input and ideas.
    Last edited by umm7; 05-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I will find them, give me a bit though.
    I was taking 50,000IU in green softgel capsule form, prescribed by my endo.
    I eat eggs almost every day. I grew up eating Salmon, not something unfamiliar in our home.

My endo thinks I have some absorption issue. Is that really possible? I have been low on Vit Dat least since I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, which was 15 years ago.

Thanks for the input and ideas.
    How often were you taking that prescription? I think you said weekly before, so does that mean once a week? Everyday would be better, though probably not at that dose (try 10,000-20,000 and get retested in a couple of months).

Definitely makes sense that you could have an absorption issue.
    Vitamin D Absorption is Usually NOT the problem....
    Magnesium helps convert vitamin D into the active form in the blood.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Docs generally prescribe D2, which can be poorly converted to D3, the form that the body uses.

Great info at Vitamin D | Vitamin D Council | Providing information on vitamin D

I just did some reading online and it's D2 -
    So that doesn't work at all? The only time my Vit D comes up is when I'm pregnant. It's also the only time I can eat gluten without feeling like crap.

Then looks like I will be ordering those liquid drops. Thanks! I just had a baby so I know that my D will drop pretty soon back to around 7 or 8. I think that is way too low.

I found what I read, and it was against D2.

momrn is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you been tested for celiac disease?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast