Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Low Vit D

Shop Now
    My level was 18 and my doctor prescribed 2000IU once a week. I decided to take 10000IU every day and went from 18 to 42 in 6 months. I like the liquid D better than taking the capsules. 10 drops = 10000IU. The depressing part is that since I work outside, I figured my D levels would be great.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

this is a quirky but true fact about mushrooms which are a good source of vitamin D. expose them to UV light for at least 5 minutes and it increases the bio-availabilty massively- either us a uv lamp or stick them in the sun. Alfalfa is also an excellent but little known source. liver you probably already know about but you may not know that bio-availabilty is also increased when the vitamin source ,either dietary or supplemental, is taken with fats (that's why it is added to milk). I see you cant do milk but if butters ok you could try the bullet proof coffee (or use the magical bacon!)
    losing weight also helps as vit d can get stuck in our own body fat where its no use whatsover, but i cont know- you might already be trim
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    this is a quirky but true fact about mushrooms which are a good source of vitamin D. expose them to UV light for at least 5 minutes and it increases the bio-availabilty massively- either us a uv lamp or stick them in the sun. Alfalfa is also an excellent but little known source. liver you probably already know about but you may not know that bio-availabilty is also increased when the vitamin source ,either dietary or supplemental, is taken with fats (that's why it is added to milk). I see you cant do milk but if butters ok you could try the bullet proof coffee (or use the magical bacon!)
    losing weight also helps as vit d can get stuck in our own body fat where its no use whatsover, but i cont know- you might already be trim

Thanks for the info on mushrooms, I eat them everyday-going to put them outside for a bit before eating
    *Sara*

Anyone with a Thyroid issue should be taking together with their vitamin D3, Vitamin b, C, Magnesium, Zinc and Selenium. Selenium is a huge issue - everyone should be taking this in most countries which have low levels in their soils.

There is also the Iodine issue which I believe we should be taking, but others differ in this opinion.

Took the Vit D3 liquid as suggested and yesterday my dr said it is too high! 61 isn't too high is it? I thought she would be happy that it's up!

^61 is great, that's definitely not too high. The new "medical standard" has been lowered recently. Anything under 90 (maybe it's 80) is great!
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Modern day hunter gatherers have been measured recently and the Vitamin D Council recommends a range of 50-60 ng/ml based on those findings. Your D level is perfect!

How much are you taking now? You may be able to reduce your intake slightly to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Docs generally prescribe D2, which can be poorly converted to D3, the form that the body uses.

Great info at Vitamin D | Vitamin D Council | Providing information on vitamin D
    They do??! That is redic! Why would they do that...what a waste.

RDA ranges are often useless or at best misleading. I started learning about RDA ranges with Vit. D. The RDA is about 15 - 100. Now there's a range for you. So I started googling and learned a lot of interesting facts. Ultimately I found that the Optimal Range is 80 - 90. That's a whale of a difference. Some researchers are now using that term - Optimal Range. At least it's some improvement.

Mine was 13 when I started this. My doctor thought that was OK. I started taking Vit. D3 from fish sources. 3 months later it was 31. I hope to get up to at least 70 - 80. I'm taking 8000 iu / day.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Only problem is that mushrooms have D2.