Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Low Vit D page 2

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    While pregnant (blood test) but since autoimmune diseases do better with pregnancy so the endo said it wasn't a good way to know. My doctor suggested doing a biopsy, being the only absolute way of confirming. I haven't done it, and honestly probably won't. It is quite expensive, and I don't have insurance (due to having a pre-existing condition i.e.. Hashimotos). I just leave wheat alone, as much as possible.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Definitley ditch the D2, it does nothing. My last test came back at 21 and my dr. told me to take an over the counter 3-4,000 D3 supplement everyday.
    *~Sara~*

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Most of the time I don't think the testing is necessary. If gluten doesn't agree with you don't eat it. Testing is just going to tell you what you already know and add to the list of reasons for insurance companies to deny you benefits.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can certainly be having absorbtion issues, most probably you are. Most G.I. problems or diseases involve or stem from Inflation of the intestional and stomach lining. Start taking the liquid Vit D3 now, but it may not be well absorbed until you have been completely abstaining from grains and sucrose for a few months and the inflation issignificantly reduced. Get a C-Reactive Protein test to determine your general inflation level.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

momrn is offline Member
    I hear you about the cost. We have insurance, but a SUPER high deductible.

Here's the problem with not knowing-celiac disease doesn't always heal. If you are strictly avoiding gluten (not just wheat), and are still have deficiencies, it could mean damage that hasn't healed. It sometimes never heals and leaves people open for terrible gi issues. This can especially be true if the disease went undetected for a long time. That's sadly what they are trying to figure out for me now. I'm have the capsule endoscopy soon.

Looking back, the only time I was ever well was during my three pregnancies. Lots of women have infertility, but I had a neurological presentation of celiac.

I've had trouble with the vit d, too. The Rx never helped me either. D3 is the way to go. A big dose with some fatty food twice a week is how I do it. As long as I keep that up, I'm okay.

I have never thought to check for inflammation. I will have to look into that. All my GI troubles go away as soon as the second day after leaving gluten. I will be getting the liquid Vit D today or tomorrow. Honestly, it's sad that it took until my 30's to figure this all out. I have been in and out of Dr offices since I was 21.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I have never thought to check for inflammation. I will have to look into that. All my GI troubles go away as soon as the second day after leaving gluten. I will be getting the liquid Vit D today or tomorrow. Honestly, it's sad that it took until my 30's to figure this all out. I have been in and out of Dr offices since I was 21.
    Just to be clear, I've read that to reduce inflation don't consume any grains. Not just gluten, not just wheat, not any grains. Of course, this is your choice completely.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-07-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

With ketosis I am doing just that :-)

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm hypothyroid/Hashi's with low D and supplement with 5000IU D3 a day plus some time in the sun (weather and season depending). Even on that, my D levels drop during the winter. I'm good in the summer, though.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I have taken D for quite a while and it wasn't till I stopped grains that my levels went up to optimum. So for me it was an absorption issue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast