Thread: Sugar free gum? page

Happymama is offline Junior Member

Sugar free gum?

I am just getting started on PB but had already started some changes in my own before finding this. I have given up artificial sweeteners but continue to chew sugar free gum. How much am I ingesting and do I need to kick this habit?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    How many pieces you chew per day? I find that gum raises appetite and causes problems for me, so I go through stages of not using it, then starting to use it, things go south, and I drop it again. Try dropping it after your next package is done for 4-6 weeks and see how it goes. Cinnamon bark is an alternative chew-able. I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    I chew a lot of sugar free gum. I got in the habit of chewing gum a few years ago when I was first diagnosed with stomach issues. It worked equally well in preventing vomiting as domperidone which I could only get compounded and was paying a couple hundred dollars a month for. Now it's just a habit.

Here's what I did with sodas: switched to sugar free, then switched to sparkling water and/or kombucha, and am transitioning to still water, with kombucha occasionally. I want to do something similar with gum.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Probably depends on the quantity. I enjoy it during long walks--1 piece per day. I doubt 3 calories of anything can cause problems. I avoid it near meal times due to the palate blunting effect.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Happymama is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am in and out of my car all day and chew when I'm driving, it's a habit for sure but I also like having fresh breath because I am in home health care. I was just wondering because I was so proud of myself for kicking the artificial sweetner habit and totally forgot about the 4 or 5 times a day I'm popping sugar free gum in my mouth!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, my sugar-less gum habit is about 5 to 7 pieces a day as well, and it is enough to cause appetite issues and gum recession.

Every time I restart chewing I find the taste awfully artificial (duh!) but once I get used to it again, I like it and start rolling from 1 piece to 2 to 3.... (Sigh)

Which reminds me that I nmeed to bring cinnamon bark with me tomorrow to try.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.