Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are vegetables a free-food? page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Whaaaaa? Toxins, gut flora? Isn't the basis of this whole site built on a foundation of vegetables? A BAS alone would have 5+ servings. If vegetables don't amount to a significant portion of calories then you might be doing it wrong. Math tells me that 50 to 100 grams of carbs could be 200-400 calories. You spend energy digesting period whether it be veg or meat. Count if it makes you feel fuzzy inside. Whatever it takes to make your goals. Don't guess it will get you nowhere.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Bolded this to point out that in actuality even eating copious volumes and weight of vegetable matter its total caloric value may very well be quite minor. You may be talking 300-400 calories out of 2500 even when by weight your plate is 50% or more vegetable.

Actually re-reading your post I know you already understand this, so maybe you meant volume instead of calories.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This whole site is built on a foundation of vegetables? I'm going back to Start Here because I missed that.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, secretly being primal is built on a mountain of dead animal carcasses
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. (Robert A. Heinlein)

Who also coined the term grok, but as a verb, not a noun. To grok something was to understand it in a way that went to your core.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes and no depending on what vegetable your talking about and how it was prepared IMO.

Raw salad greens or spinach don't bother.

Carrots, beets, squash, or basically any root is going to count toward carbs and energy.

Cooking obviously reduces the bodies energy expenditure to break things down so take that into account.
    I think this. Counting calories, even if you're good at it, is an exercise in estimation, and unless you're juicing pounds and pounds of crucifers and brassicas, or cooking them in bacon fat/butter, they're less than the noise. It's not that they're negative or 0 calories, but they're just negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Starchy "vegetables" or tubers or roots of whatever are energy storage vehicles for plants. Their effect is not negligible. Must count (if you count).

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bolded this to point out that in actuality even eating copious volumes and weight of vegetable matter its total caloric value may very well be quite minor. You may be talking 300-400 calories out of 2500 even when by weight your plate is 50% or more vegetable.

Actually re-reading your post I know you already understand this, so maybe you meant volume instead of calories.
    Yes it could be minor. OP or somebody reading the posts could be a 5 foot nothing female who needs less than 1200 cal to lose weight. Then 400 cals from veg could represent a third of calories. I know we are saying the same thing but context is everything. More to my point was that estimates for arbitrary numbers like maintenance calories already include digestion whether it be protein or vegetable matter.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    You have to eat a lot of green vegetables to get to a couple hundred calories. I don't track spinach etc. Only things like sweet potato, squash etc.

I figure, if I'm not losing weight, it isn't because I had 4 cups of spinach in my scrambled eggs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You have to eat a lot of green vegetables to get to a couple hundred calories. I don't track spinach etc. Only things like sweet potato, squash etc.

I figure, if I'm not losing weight, it isn't because I had 4 cups of spinach in my scrambled eggs.
    It could be in the context of total calories. But how do you know what your total calories are if you're not counting 4 cups of spinach in the morning and 2 cups of broccoli at lunch and the 4 cups of swiss chard in the evening and the salad on the side?

All the "things like spinach" add up and it might make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This whole site is built on a foundation of vegetables? I'm going back to Start Here because I missed that.
    Yes the bottom of the pyramid (base) is vegetables and should form the bulk (volume) of food you consume.

The forum, however, tends to focus on bacon and steak (has for years) since its cool to buck the low fat trend.

Last edited by chima_p; 05-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Techie is offline Member
    If you are eating non starch vegetables like lettuce (I use 4 leafy kinds), peppers, tomatoes, onions, and some carrots it would be impossible to overeat, were talking under 50cal per cup, you would have to be a gorilla eating 8 hours a day to get down 2-3k calories.

There is a great post specifically about vegetables as a free, no need to count calories http://www.precisionnutrition.com/what-are-your-4-lbs

I stopped tracking calories months ago after seeing my average daily diet is at or naturally under maintenance when I eat lots of fat and protein, and some veggies for filler.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast