Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one here that doesn't cook? page 4

mikegee2 is offline Member
    Like some others...I try to cook up a bunch and freeze/refrig for the week. That way when I come from work to gym to home I don't have pots and pans resentment

KT79 is offline Member
    I don't cook very much. My husband is a good cook, but he really only does complicated recipes once or twice a week. Usually he'll make a big pot of something (stew, or curry or whatever - he'll triple or quadruple most recipes) and we'll eat that for several meals during the week - alternating with simple stuff like hamburger patties and roasted vegetables that only take a few minutes of prep. We usually freeze a serving or two of whatever he makes on the weekend for later meals, too. We eat salad for lunch everyday and our breakfast lately has been a sweet potato stew that he makes on the weekend and I heat up each day, along with some poached eggs that I make. If you don't mind eating the same dishes a bunch of times during the week, you can get by with a lot less daily cooking.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    I don't cook very much. My husband is a good cook, but he really only does complicated recipes once or twice a week. Usually he'll make a big pot of something (stew, or curry or whatever - he'll triple or quadruple most recipes) and we'll eat that for several meals during the week - alternating with simple stuff like hamburger patties and roasted vegetables that only take a few minutes of prep. We usually freeze a serving or two of whatever he makes on the weekend for later meals, too. We eat salad for lunch everyday and our breakfast lately has been a sweet potato stew that he makes on the weekend and I heat up each day, along with some poached eggs that I make. If you don't mind eating the same dishes a bunch of times during the week, you can get by with a lot less daily cooking.
    I think one issue is that if you're eating mostly tasty meat and tasty vegetables, you don't have to constantly work hard to disguise the fact that the meals you serve are mostly grains. Meat is good hot or cold. It it good today, and it is good again tomorrow and the day after.

sthubbar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    I would think that, living in China, one would want to cook. Here in the states, we read stories of poison, rat meat and cleaning chemicals - all being sold to unsuspecting people in China who'd rather pay someone to cook for them. I do cook. I enjoy it and the more I know of food, the more I like having the control to omit the unnecessary ingredients others add.
    Lauri, without getting too much off topic, some people in China see America as a place where kids are shot in school and many people carry a gun. I have been asked more than once, "Where is your gun?". There is a basis for your belief in the safety of food in China just as there is a basis for the belief that school children in American get shot at an atronomically greater rate than in China.

Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I don't cook. I just don't have the inclination nor the patience. I will throw something into a pan or pot, and occasionally the oven, but if it involves more than one step, I lose patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I'm with you-don't like to cook and keep things very simple in the kitchen. I'm loving how simple primal eating can be-I've been able to keep meals to one frying pan for the most part
    Thanks. I think one step is often too much for me. I may put it in the pan and then get distracted with some other task and that item in the pan is not longer consumable.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Lauri, without getting too much off topic, some people in China see America as a place where kids are shot in school and many people carry a gun.
    That's how the whole world sees america

Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Thanks. I think one step is often too much for me. I may put it in the pan and then get distracted with some other task and that item in the pan is not longer consumable.
    If you do it right, the stir fry cooks while you prepare it. I basically put things in in the frying pan in the order of how long they need to cook, and the last ingredient or two only needs a couple of minutes before you can plate up.

So don't get distracted
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    So, what do you eat there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Techie View Post
    You said you are in China, Ill hopefully be there in August and for 10 months afterward. You likely don't have a oven or microwave in your apartment, but I can't wait to bring home freshly plucked chickens or skinned animals to cook up over the stove. I'm going to try and find a crockpot while living there to be able to buy bigger cuts.

You have potentially safe starches (tubers and maybe even rice once in a while) that you can cook too.

What are you eating now? Just eating out every meal or subsisting on meat bbq's?
    Techie, hope you have a great time during you trip here. If you're in Beijing and want some tips drop me a note. Yes, we do have a microwave and an oven.

I mostly eat out at restaurants and eat primarily meat and vegtables, stay clear of breads and pastas.

The start of this discuss is that recently I am travelling for business and I have caught myself ording McD and KFC for delivery because it allows me to work in my hotel room and not "waste" 1.5 - 2 hours going outside finding places to eat and eating.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    If you do it right, the stir fry cooks while you prepare it. I basically put things in in the frying pan in the order of how long they need to cook, and the last ingredient or two only needs a couple of minutes before you can plate up.

So don't get distracted
    Magicmerl, OK thanks.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I cook eggs and meat every few days; a few days a week overall.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I don't cook. I just don't have the inclination nor the patience. I will throw something into a pan or pot, and occasionally the oven, but if it involves more than one step, I lose patience.
    I presume you add heat to the pot/pan before you take out the 'thrown in' food..........that IS cooking

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I work with many students from China, and some of them have never cooked in their life. Their parents do it so they can study since so much depends upon academic success and the competition is fierce. When they leave home for school and later work, they tell me that they can buy good and inexpensive meals such as stir fry meat and vegetables, dumplings, etc. very easily so they have no need to prepare food for themselves. You don't, or at least you didn't, need to have a chef to do the cooking. Nowadays, as our fast-food crap franchises itself across the planet like some sort of crispy carb-riddled cancer more and more people are choosing KFC and McD over these traditional food places. Street food may be the last stand in the end. So geography can really impact what you can eat when you eat out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast