Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one here that doesn't cook? page 3

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I do cook often. I cook almost all my food, and I can cook just about anything that doesn't require special equipment.

But you just posted my favorite meat recipe.

Put meat in a pot. Cover. Put in the oven on 200F. Come back in 4-12 hours and hack off a chunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I'm with you-don't like to cook and keep things very simple in the kitchen. I'm loving how simple primal eating can be-I've been able to keep meals to one frying pan for the most part
    Yes, yes, one pan or pot meals are my favorite, lol. I don't buy a lot of junk foods, just stuff that will be simple and easy. Like steak in a frying pan with some mushrooms or frozen veggies. Easy, no thought involved.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

diene is offline Senior Member
    I don't always cook even though I like cooking and am quite good at it. I just don't always have time. Sometimes I manage to cook up a batch of food (enough for a couple meals) on the weekend, sometimes not. There are definitely weekends when I'd go nuts and cook a bunch of stuff, bake some kind of primal treat (rare), and make homemade jerky. But I often just don't have time. I spend a lot of time at work (often on weekends too) and at the gym (globo gym or Crossfit or outside running). I also like my beauty sleep. I like to be able to sleep as much as I want on weekends and shoot for 7-8 hours on weekdays (not always possible, but I usually manage at least 6.5). Sometimes, I can only do two out of the following three things: workout, sleep, cook. Cooking is the first thing to go.

But luckily for me, there's this thing called Custom Fit Meals that delivers to my area (to my CF box, actually). It's paleo food--grass-fed, free-range, etc. But, after reading this thread, I became concerned about the oil they use so I just sent them a message asking about the oil. Otherwise I eat a lot of salads sans dressing, the occasional burger (not from McDonald's though) sans bun, and I cook a lot of sweet potatoes in the microwave.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Hence the post. I'm in China so doesn't exactly apply to me.
    Cool, I was on my mobile and couldn't see your location. Well, the answer is because for most people in the states, there isn't ANYTHING acceptable to eat in their environment. Therefore lots of discussion about cooking on this forum!

In Beijing I would probably eat out a few times a week. You can get duck, duck hearts, duck tongue, braised pork, chicken feet, all sorts of vegi in the restaurants for cheap (or at least on my salary Beijing was cheap). The only problem I had with SH and BJ was the tendency of the restaurants to make the meats sweet, especially in SH. So, what do you eat there? Curious.

In Seoul where I reside now paleo is simple and cheap if one eats out, lots of beef/pork places, whole fish places, and vegi side dishes. Koreans just naturally understand paleo, they don't feel the need to put crappy cheese and bread on everything...heck they don't really even have cheese and bread. But I've started cooking all my meals even though it is much more expensive...just prefer to know exactly what goes into it and work with top ingredients.

What's really sad about the US is the non-existence of restaurants offering a simple paleo meal -- just a piece of meat and vegi for a reasonable price. NOT covered in sugar, sauce, cheese, breading.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    So all you need is a part-time personal cook to cook to your specifications, to shop and keep the refrigerator stocked with ready to eat foods. That works, but it's hardly something most of us would have the opportunity to consider.
    If I lived in Beijing like the poster I'd just hire such a person. Not too expensive to get a cook/driver/whatever.

So there's your answer, work at that which you have a comparative advantage, and hire the cook to do what they do!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I do cook but I mostly do a lot of preparing. In other words, I don't stand there with a cookbook and follow recipes. I mostly just whip up stuff that takes about as much effort as microwaving. Examples:

1. The easy stuff I do at work
    Microwave a sweet potato.
    Pour a can of tuna or salmon over the potato.
    Pour some salsa or mustard on top and eat up.

2. The hard stuff I do at home
    Throw some salmon or lamb steaks in a pan.
    Coat with a few spoonfuls of mustard.
    Put in the oven and turn on the heat.
    Go back to surfing the web on my computer for a while.
    Steam some veggies and potatoes in the microwave.
    When the meat's done, eat with a side of butter.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I were foodies before we went primal so we have a tendency to plan out amazing, delicious meals. It is a part-time job, but we enjoy food!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    So all you need is a part-time personal cook to cook to your specifications, to shop and keep the refrigerator stocked with ready to eat foods. That works, but it's hardly something most of us would have the opportunity to consider.
    I've got one of those! He's my husband.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I usually make enough of one type of meal to last the week. When you cook large chunks of bone in meat (hint: you should be to get good mineral and cartilage/joint substrates) this is easy. Think whole chickens or other fowl, whole pork shoulder, and bone in roasts or brisket. Then I eat a bunch of eggs. That pretty much does it for the cooking each week.

The other day I didn't have anything around so I ate a can of 12 oz tuna and a baked potato. Meh, it got me by.

Kakakatie is offline Junior Member
    Cooking is an easy way to feel connected and grateful for what you eat. If you feel terrific eating all the food that does not require any effort, why not?

Techie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    I'm new here and I get the impression that the general position of the members of this forum is that grok="must cook own food".

I'm not looking to start a long thread about how I should be cooking, I'm just curious if there is anyone on this forum that is brave enough to admit that they don't cook. Microwaving is OK.

So, is there anyone on this forum that does not cook?
    You said you are in China, Ill hopefully be there in August and for 10 months afterward. You likely don't have a oven or microwave in your apartment, but I can't wait to bring home freshly plucked chickens or skinned animals to cook up over the stove. I'm going to try and find a crockpot while living there to be able to buy bigger cuts.

You have potentially safe starches (tubers and maybe even rice once in a while) that you can cook too.

What are you eating now? Just eating out every meal or subsisting on meat bbq's?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast