Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one here that doesn't cook? page 2

sthubbar is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    If one lived in the United States and didn't cook, what would they eat?!?
    Hence the post. I'm in China so doesn't exactly apply to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    What do you mean cook? Whipping together a complicated dish or just slicing and dicing vegetables and quickly steaming them with some seasoning? I don't do anything fancy...
    Fair question. Pretty much anything more than picking up an item and putting it into my mouth is starting to enter the territory of cooking. If fire or intense heat, as opposed to microwave, is involved then that is definitely cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Frying chicken drumsticks now - doing a few to last a few lunches/dinners. Cut up some veg for salad add good oil/vinegar and cooking is done ( not complicated).

Do often do you eat cooked food?
    If rarely - doesn't it get boring?
    If yes - who cooks it?
    When was the last time you changed the oil in your car or did other automotive repair? How about make your own shoes? Go collect water from a local stream or lake?

I pay people to provide services to me and food is simply another service. My time is better spent on other tasks that I have a comparative advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Yes.
    OK, please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "cooking". Sometimes, I open my fridge and compose a plate of cold stuff:
    - olives
    - slices of gouda
    - pieces of smoked salmon or lamb
    - some left-over salad
    - a few pieces of tomatoes or cucumbers
    - add a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper

I don't know, it does not feel like I am cooking when I do this. Preparing hard boiled eggs ... is that cooking ?

But microwave (MW) ? NEVER. What would I microwave ? left-overs that need heating ? Then a sauce-pan and slow heating would do, or in the oven maybe. Why MW really ?
    Thanks for the ideas. Most of those aren't cooking as they can pretty much be picked up and place in the mouth for consumption.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Sorry- I just couldn't help it!

Seems like the longer people are primal, the more interested they become in cooking, and interacting with their food in a fun way in general. I know there are exceptions, but once we get into real food, it seems we all become foodies!
    Last edited by Sabine; 05-07-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: totally incomprehensible sentence!

Lauri is offline Junior Member
    I would think that, living in China, one would want to cook. Here in the states, we read stories of poison, rat meat and cleaning chemicals - all being sold to unsuspecting people in China who'd rather pay someone to cook for them. I do cook. I enjoy it and the more I know of food, the more I like having the control to omit the unnecessary ingredients others add.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    For those of you who don't cook and get their food mostly pre-prepared or at restaurants or whatever, how are you reducing the omnipresent seed oils that everything seems to be cooked in at restaurants?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Hence the post. I'm in China so doesn't exactly apply to me.

I pay people to provide services to me and food is simply another service. My time is better spent on other tasks that I have a comparative advantage.
    So all you need is a part-time personal cook to cook to your specifications, to shop and keep the refrigerator stocked with ready to eat foods. That works, but it's hardly something most of us would have the opportunity to consider.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I don't cook. I just don't have the inclination nor the patience. I will throw something into a pan or pot, and occasionally the oven, but if it involves more than one step, I lose patience.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I don't cook. I just don't have the inclination nor the patience. I will throw something into a pan or pot, and occasionally the oven, but if it involves more than one step, I lose patience.
    I do cook often. I cook almost all my food, and I can cook just about anything that doesn't require special equipment.

But you just posted my favorite meat recipe.

Put meat in a pot. Cover. Put in the oven on 200F. Come back in 4-12 hours and hack off a chunk.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I'm with you-don't like to cook and keep things very simple in the kitchen. I'm loving how simple primal eating can be-I've been able to keep meals to one frying pan for the most part
    *~Sara~*

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Spinach and tomato salad with some garlic, oil, and vinegar - good.

Olive oil sauteed spinach and tomatoes with small slivers of garlic - spectacular. Only a few minutes longer to "cook" it.

You don't have to love cooking. Some days I do a cold plate (like the one mentioned above); some days I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pan for a stir fry. Cooking is really pretty simple. One applies heat to food.

Think of cooking as a survival skill. Otherwise, you're pretty much dependent on others to prepare your food. At that point, paleo or primal is going to be tough to follow. At the very least you'll be getting bad oils.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 05-07-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If I could I would cook a lot less. Unfortunately, the only foods that are available pre-cooked are nutritional garbage.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast