Thread: Sugar is taking over! page

ErinF is online now Senior Member

Sugar is taking over!

Primal Fuel
    I am having the hardest time with sugar lately. I never crave sugar, but lately it's all I think about. I recently started doing NerdFitness barbell training and doing a simple running program (C25K) and that seems to have triggered it. The problem is I'm a noob @ nutrition when it comes adding in exercise and lifting.

Right now I'm eating about about 1600 calories, 80g protein, 100g carbs and the rest fat.

Maybe my ratios need tweaking, but I have no idea what to change to help me with sugar cravings. If I go too low carb I go into full on binge mode.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I tentatively suggest that you're not eating enough overall - sounds like a lot of activity for 1600kcal per day.

A common recommendation is to add more carbs into your post workout meal - maybe try that as a starting point?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Try more protein. I eat about 120-140 grams of protein on lifting days, then up my carbs to 120-150 on cardio days.

That seems to keep me well fueled and have not had cravings or hunger. I'm doing Crossfit, going on the 3 days a week that are mainly lifting, and one day a week that is cardio. I eat around 1600-1800 calories day. Not much scale lost, but inches lost this month.

I think for some people, more activity requires more carbs and protein and the high fat doesn't work as well. You just need to experiment and see what works for you.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Have some alternative suger in the form of fruit, I have honey on greek yogurt every day
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    I have honey on greek yogurt every day
    I grew fat on that ... YMMV

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    I grew fat on that ... YMMV
    I havn't
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    I havn't
    I ditched the honey, now I have the yogurt plain (delicious!) or with a little xylitol, which is more rare because I really enjoy the yogurt plain (which is quite weird because I used to hate the taste of it in my sugar days).

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion to up your carbs.
    Some of us just do better with more carbs. I was trying to stay close to 50g of carbs but found that mentally and physically I do so much better closer to 70. I have had no weight gain, my body fat actually decreased when I upped my carb intake.

ErinF is online now Senior Member
    Ok I'll give that a shot. I never could figure out if it was before or after the workout that I needed more carbs and/or protein. I've been lazy about eating lately so I'm sure it has something to do with that. It's funny it's like my brain can focus on the fitness part or the eating part, but when I try to do both at the same time it's like /mindasplode lol.