Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuna page

K.ROB is offline Senior Member

Tuna

Primal Fuel
    What kind of Tuna do you guys eat? Like brands. There is now way i am eating the regular store bought chicken of the sea etc. I don't like the packaging practices that they participate in.

Thanks

stjoad is offline Junior Member
    I'm not quite sure what type of tuna I eat. I'm pretty sure it's one of the canned ones from the grocery store. I have a question though - what's the best way to purchase tuna - fresh over the counter? Is there a healthy canned alternative? Do I have to worry about mercury content in tuna or any other type of fish?

Same concerns.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    We don't have to worry about mercury in most fish - incl tuna per the Seychelles Child Development study. Even pregnant and breastfeeding women and small children need not be concerned about tuna and mercury.....but we do have to worry about fishing practices, bycatch etc.

I'm not sure what the best answer is right now. the Monterey Bay Aquarium is hard to follow b/c can labels don't match up.

best bet though it to find a small producer that uses exclusively troll caught or pole caught and never line/long-line....or g-d forbid purse seine (which is a problem with other fish...not usually tuna).

If you see a low fat content .5-1mg per serving (as in grocery brands), you know it's old tuna that lives at deep levels and is line caught;/. So basically anything cheap is a problem for long term sustainability and endangered species.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I buy the wholefoods 365 brand.

I know Trader Joe's has there own brand. Anyone know if its good?

I was researching the trader joe's issues yesterday. They have many. It appears that they are purposefully mislabeling seafood to give the impression that they aren't selling any greenpeace redlisted items when in fact they are selling many (and many that are on monterey bay aquariums 'avoid' list)

Whole Foods 365 brand tuna is also problematic. Anything with a low fat content indicates longline practices
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longline_fishing
    http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/trader-joe-greener

a good alternative to canned tuna that is longline caught is canned pacific/wild/alaskan salmon - and the large cans are often a better value per ounce than canned tuna.

Wow, pretty impressive for target:
    http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/t...-farmed-salmon

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Why would low fat tuna = longline fishing?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think all of the information is in the links I posted but the bottom line: young tuna have a high fat content - young tuna are troll or pole caught. old tuna has the same total body fat but it's spread out throughout a much larger fish so per serving, it has a dramatically lower fat content. the old, deeper swimming fish are caught via long line.

here's one of the literally thousands of articles available on the subject - it's not unbiased but it's the first one up. you can easily find more scholarly articles on it without having to dig deep:
    http://www.wfoa-tuna.org/health/
    "How to tell the difference between longline albacore and surface troll-caught albacore:

The two images below are labels from the same brand of tuna -- but the first one is longline-caught and the other is troll-caught albacore. Note the Total Fat (Grams), 1.0g as opposed to 5.0g.

Though slightly higher in fat, the troll-caught albacore is much higher in Omega-3's. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast