Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite dish to make en masse page

CaveBug is offline Senior Member

What's your favorite dish to make en masse

Primal Fuel
    Calling the chef in all of us!

I'm basically going solo on paleo in a house of 5 other people. So I'm thinking about doing batch cooking but other than soup and and egg bake what else do you make and freeze for consumption through the week. Also I'm trying to lose weight so I'm preferably looking for low(er) carb dishes. Thank you!

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    Hey CBug,

There are a ton of batch cooking blogs that will have sources of info- like
    'http://robbwolf.com/2011/01/16/pre-cooking-paleo-diet-food/'
    'http://www.antihousewife.com/tag/batch-cooking/'
    'Once a Month Mom' ( Freezer Cooking Paleo Menu | Once A Month Cooking tips from Once A Month Mom) - though I think you have to pay for that last one ...

I tend to have a low boredom threshold, so normally cook enough for 2 or 3 meals and freeze a couple- also, most frozen meals will need to be eaten within a few months (YMMV) so to avoid wastage I don't go nuts.

Good luck!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Meatloaf, chicken thighs & drumsticks, meat balls, burger patties, sausages. The only meat I cant batch prep is bacon. I eat it like candy.

I should add....I don't make alot of 'dishes'. Most of the time we eat straightforward meat, veggies, salad, & starch (for those who want it).
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    maybe weird suggestion here but, I make jalapeno "poppers" to take to parties but they also make excellent snacks and I imagine they would freeze ok also (nice to come home to them) - jalapenos halved, seeds and insides removed, fill with cream cheese (not too much, add seasonings if you like, garlic or perhaps ground meat); wrap each in 1/2 a bacon slice (I secure with two toothpicks because the bacon will shrink while cooking), cook on rack 400 F 30 minutes or till bacon is done to your liking. VERY simple and relatively cheap ingredients, tastes so good they are basically impossible to screw up, they just take some time in labor to cut/core/fill/wrap so allow yourself an hour to do a rack-full. Also very low-carb and very tasty and you can make a meal of a few of them; but be warned, non-paleos will eat these without pause too...
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Ground organ meats (heart and liver, mainly) with veggies to make a chilli that can be served on it's own, or (if you're like me) as nachos on sweet potato fries or on white rice. Nom.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I make a casserole/frittata-esque thing when I am feeling lazy. You can make a much a you want and freeze in individual portions.

You need:

Eggs
    Your favorite ground meat
    Your choice of leafy green veggie (I use about three cups per lb of meat)
    Almost any spice blend you can think of

Beat about seven eggs per lb of meat ( so 1 lb = 7 eggs, 2 = 14, etc.)
    Brown meat in a big pot. If cooking a leaner meat such as bison or even beef, add a few tablespoons of coconut oil or butter once almost cooked. For fattier meats like ground pork or lamb, this is not necessary.

Add eggs and stir constantly until eggs are nice and fluffy and have cooked around the meat, add greens for a few minutes, still stirring to prevent sticking and burning to the pan.

And that is it! Done! Freezes VERY well and serves as sort of a full meal in one dish. And goes well with a side of real, fermented sauerkraut.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Whilst not my "favourites" per se, I usually make 1-5kg roasts and bake my potatoes in bulk as well. Just saves so much time!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Anything mince related! Chili, meatballs, burgers, hash,whole chicken, big lump of pork neck/shoulder, bolognese...I will portion out the chili and bolognese into freezer bags and freeze, the rest i just put into containers in the fridge.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Not to freeze, but something I like to make a big pot of, and then eat a scoop every day:

Sweat a thinly sliced onion in 2T of butter or bacon grease in a large pot. (Melt fat, and onions, cover, cook over very low heat until onions are sweaty-about 10-15 min). Cram sliced greens- chard, turnip, cabbage, kale into the pot. About 3-4 bunches. Add some broth and sliced bacon or ham hock, and cook for about two hours on low, add broth as necessary to keep moist.

So good! Just gets better as it sits in the fridge, up to about a week.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I always cook in batches. My big pan specials are borcht or Shi and various meats (or sausage) braised with onions, celery, cabbage, carrots and canned tomatoes. Don't have to freeze - cabbage dishes are notorious for getting better and better as leftovers. Meatzzas also hold up well, and every kind of roast or roast birds. We start with fresh roasted slices, and on day 3 leftovers make a pot of soup with bone broth made from the extracted bones.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast