Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beano! And should we eat broccoli? page 4

egrok is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Ok so from this GutSense website it seems like the fermentation of veggies is BAD because it kills off bacteria - meaning that if I want to fix my gut bacteria (which I do), then I need to avoid foods that ferment in my tummy - like broccoli. Right!? Sounds legit to me!
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    if you want broccoli at its finest - cut it into little bite sized peices - spread it evenly in a baking pan - the dark ones, not glass - pour some olive oil over it - put in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes -- when you see black crispies appearing its done! YUMMY!
    This recipe works even better for cauliflower.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by egrok View Post
    I'm going to try a new plan: eating only vegetables that have seeds except for mushrooms, spinach and kale because I seem to tolerate those, limit fruit to 1 serving a day. Otherwise eat LOTS OF MEAT AND FISH! I've got some liver marinating in lemon juice right now
    The fun thing about veggies with seeds is that those are really fruits (things like tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados).

These are the non-animal products I still eat:

sea "veggies" (algae not really veggies)
    coconut products (fruit and high in MCT fat)
    avocados (also high in fat and generally delicious)
    onions and garlic (bulbs used for flavor)
    mushrooms (fungi not veggies)
    tomatoes (really fruit)
    occasional eggplant (also a fruit. I like baba ghanoush.)
    lettuce when wrapped around a burger
    occasional rice when out for sushi
    occasional berries
    and of course spices galore

Also I'm reading the gutsense website right now (is this the one you meant? Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements)
    Yes. There is some good info there.

Ok so from this GutSense website it seems like the fermentation of veggies is BAD because it kills off bacteria - meaning that if I want to fix my gut bacteria (which I do), then I need to avoid foods that ferment in my tummy - like broccoli. Right!? Sounds legit to me!
    Right. If you have a robustly functioning digestive system, a bit of broccoli probably wouldn't hang around your stomach long enough to ferment. But that is obviously not the case for you.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I have had problems with "transit time" (constipation) and bloating for the past ~8 months. I tried the gutsense recommendation of buffered Vitamin C powder (his Hydro-C product, but I bought it elsewhere for cheaper) and it does help move things along, but I wasn't processing the food very much.

The solution for me was to eat more starches. I eat white rice with lunch (also apple and banana), sweet potato after dinner, regular potatoes with dinner, and I'm thinking adding starch to breakfast (eggs) too because I'm often hungry before it's time to eat. My eating style is more in line with that of the Perfect Health Diet (google it), but that basically means a high-starch version of paleo.

I have no real scientific basis for it, but supplementing colostrum worked pretty well for me, it was just too pricey. Threelac, a strong probiotic supplement, is working for me right now along with the starches. My doctor is recommending that I now try the Threelac, Inositol (a form of B vitamin that helps with serotonin absorption, good for gut motility and mood, and I struggle with depression), and colostrum. I may also start taking a digestive enzyme to see if that helps with the occasional bloating I still get.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I have had problems with "transit time" (constipation) and bloating.
    The solution for me was to eat more starches.
    I have no real scientific basis for it, but supplementing colostrum worked pretty well for me, it was just too pricey.
    Interesting how different we all are. Starches have the exact opposite effect on me. Plugged up for days.

I've never tried colostrum. Have you read about the Free The Animal guy's milk intervention experiment?

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I have had problems with "transit time" (constipation) and bloating for the past ~8 months. I tried the gutsense recommendation of buffered Vitamin C powder (his Hydro-C product, but I bought it elsewhere for cheaper) and it does help move things along, but I wasn't processing the food very much.

The solution for me was to eat more starches. I eat white rice with lunch (also apple and banana), sweet potato after dinner, regular potatoes with dinner, and I'm thinking adding starch to breakfast (eggs) too because I'm often hungry before it's time to eat. My eating style is more in line with that of the Perfect Health Diet (google it), but that basically means a high-starch version of paleo.
    I've been taking Vit C 5x a day to fight off an upper respiratory infection the past week and also pooped the last 3 days in a row. Coincidence? I've also been super low carb and reintroducing probiotic foods. It's so hard to pinpoint what the magic trick is when life gets in the way!

I was eating white rice, apples, bananas and sweet potatoes for the past 3 months fairly regularly, 1-3 of those foods once a day, and it had no effect on my regularity. You're lucky you found such a quick solution!

I read the Perfect Health Diet already and recommend it to my friends haha.

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    sea "veggies" (algae not really veggies)
    coconut products (fruit and high in MCT fat)
    avocados (also high in fat and generally delicious)
    onions and garlic (bulbs used for flavor)
    mushrooms (fungi not veggies)
    tomatoes (really fruit)
    occasional eggplant (also a fruit. I like baba ghanoush.)
    lettuce when wrapped around a burger
    occasional rice when out for sushi
    occasional berries
    and of course spices galore
    This is exactly what I plan on eating plus the seeded fruits/veggies. Also kale, because I love kale chips, but no longer will I force down the spinach if I don't want it!!

Also I'm not sure where to get sea veggies. Wegman's doesn't seem to have algae but they do have seaweed snacks. Where do you get algae?

Paleobird Guest
    This is exactly what I plan on eating plus the seeded fruits/veggies. Also kale, because I love kale chips, but no longer will I force down the spinach if I don't want it!!

Also I'm not sure where to get sea veggies. Wegman's doesn't seem to have algae but they do have seaweed snacks. Where do you get algae?
    Netrition.com has Sea Tangle brand Kelp noodles and SeaSnax which are crispy seasoned nori sheets. The ones at my local asian stores all has MSSG or were made with nasty oils. The Seasnax are olive oil only.

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Netrition.com has Sea Tangle brand Kelp noodles and SeaSnax which are crispy seasoned nori sheets. The ones at my local asian stores all has MSSG or were made with nasty oils. The Seasnax are olive oil only.
    Wegman's sells seasnax! Great thanks for the help and wish me luck

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I also love broccoli any way I can get it and prefer it raw if it's my home grown. I often steam 'till soft and put my eggs over them. I can eat it by the pound in a single sitting with no gastro effects. Potatoes need butter way before broccoli ever does but broccoli swimming in butter is fine with me too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast